U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,642 times

Advertisements

My father was born and raised in Keokuk, and I just googled Keokuk for the heck of it. Couldn't believe how long it took for the home page for the town/city to download. Dark ages.

Was curious about how the town has changed. I was raised in Philadelphia (dad never went back after grad school), and have lived on the "left" west coast (LA/SF and SD) for the past 30 years. Am currently going back and forth between Boston and Seattle although we would much rather be in Seattle.

So, could anyone describe what Keokuk is like today? Do they still have the lock on the Mississippi River? What industries are prevalent in the town and surrounding areas? Have they had much growth - much to attract people to the area? Are the schools considered good or just average? I know the malls did in the down town commercial area back in the 60's. Has it been rejuvenated?

Would enjoy going back some day just to see what it is like as it has been many years since I visited.

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM

7,652 posts, read 16,333,490 times
I've never been to Keokuk, although I do know that is one of Iowa's warmest cities.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,300 times
Default Dark Ages...Really

All of us here in the dark ages would just as soon you stay in Seattle! We still all have outhouses and drive horse and buggy. I hope that takes care of any interest or questions you have about Keokuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2sf View Post
My father was born and raised in Keokuk, and I just googled Keokuk for the heck of it. Couldn't believe how long it took for the home page for the town/city to download. Dark ages.

Was curious about how the town has changed. I was raised in Philadelphia (dad never went back after grad school), and have lived on the "left" west coast (LA/SF and SD) for the past 30 years. Am currently going back and forth between Boston and Seattle although we would much rather be in Seattle.

So, could anyone describe what Keokuk is like today? Do they still have the lock on the Mississippi River? What industries are prevalent in the town and surrounding areas? Have they had much growth - much to attract people to the area? Are the schools considered good or just average? I know the malls did in the down town commercial area back in the 60's. Has it been rejuvenated?

Would enjoy going back some day just to see what it is like as it has been many years since I visited.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,113 times
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]From a fellow 'Washingtonian' . . . I just moved back to the Seattle area after spending three very happy and memorable years in Mt Pleasant (just 45 minutes from Keokuk). I could write pages of all the things I loved about Iowa, but will tell you surely - STAY AWAY FROM KEOKUK! Seemed like an all right town when we checked it out, but dealing with the City of Keokuk is a nightmare. My parents, who own a construction company in the Seattle area, decided to invest in Keokuk after visiting. They purchased a condemned home that had been vacant for over 7 years. They shoveled out years worth of animal excrement as well as trash and drug paraphernalia from numerous human inhabitants who had broken in and taken residence over the years. The city had never done a thing about it. In only two months, my parents managed to completely clear several years of overgrowth around the house (including 2 trees endangering the house next door), clean it out, gut it (removing all the old wiring, plumbing, lathe and plaster), remove a rotted addition, level and reframe, and then winterize and secure it before being driven back home by the winter weather. Only two months after returning home, circumstances surrounding the medical care of my grandmother and aunt necessitated that they take in both as in-home care. Subsequently, they were unable to return to Keokuk this spring to continue work on the home but figured that it was in much better shape than it had been for several years and would be fine for the time being. They had a neighbor keeping an eye on it to ensure that it didn’t become a flop house again and kept in regular contact with him. Imagine their surprise and dismay when they received a letter in July from the City of Keokuk stating that they owed $225 dollars for 3 lawn mowings in June and early July. They contacted the city and by the time all was said and done, were charged for mowing 6 times, plus late charges . . . totaling nearly $550!! When my mom told the woman at the city office that she and my father would have been happy to arrange mowing if they had realized that it was an issue and had been notified, she was simply told “we don’t do that”. NOT a very welcoming response to someone attempting to improve your community, Keokuk! End result, the house will most likely now sit empty for several more years and again become a refuge for wild animals and drug users– my parents are thoroughly disgusted with even the thought of returning to Iowa again.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,668,431 times
Not sure if you meant it that way - but that original post came off extremely elitist. You don't start off a "good natured" question by saying something is in the dark ages, then explain all the coasts and cities you've lived in, then ask a few random questions.

It just comes off how a lot of people on the coasts talk about the Midwest - as if it's some other country, or somehow everyone wants to live where they are or something.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 AM

9,270 posts, read 18,293,255 times
Keokuk has been on the decline for years. It has always primarily been a manufacturing center, and many of the once-good jobs in town have been eliminated through outsourcing overseas or automation. It's a pretty area with the river and all, but the economy there is really rough right now.

I would disagree that the mall - the first one built within 100 miles of here, but now a nearly empty shell - "did in" the downtown retail area. When I was a kid and the mall was in full swing, there were viable businesses all up and down main street. It was the coming of the discount retailers on the west end of town coupled with population decline and the expansion of retail centers in Burlington and Quincy that killed downtown Keokuk.

And yes, the lock and dam is still there. It is crucial to the navigation of this section of the river, so it's not likely that it will ever go anywhere.

I've lived in the area for years, if you want any more information let me know.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM

99 posts, read 270,839 times
Great place for viewing eagles in the winter.

Other than that.............

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,337 times
Thanks for the clues, I am clueless, no idea from this point as to where and what the places are like or where, need to take a trip. Have a very fun diary of Daniel Pickens, from Buffaloe, NY, filed a claim for land in 1851 in Brighton, Washington Co. He talks of the trip, of a boat blowing up and killing quite a few, of another that nearly blew but did not hurt anyone. The families of Pickens and Eddy moved into their homestead, had a grist mill, made bricks, sawed lumber, etc. In the diaries the Eddy family departs to OR to avoid the Civil War, 1863, in departing a large sum of money was buried before leaving, never found, no idea where but must be close to home? Fun treasure hunt someday. Another family of Steven Streeter comes into play by 1864. Also in this area are the Hiatt, Stout, Taylor, etc. families, the Rentfro intermarried, Daniel Pickens family moved out to Sidney, Fremont Co., Iowa while Lucy Jeanette Eddy and Steven Streeter went to Minnisota. The Hiatt and Rentfro familes in Keokuk Co., were there longer, many inter relationships to Centerville, Moravia, etc. and to the Delicious Apple Tree families of Hiatt in Winterset/Peru. Many ties to Iowa need help with, Anderson, Welch, Hiatt, Pickens, Eddy, Scott, etc. have very large data base I have worked on abt 30 years, glad to share, ties to Mayflower, Hugonots, Quakers, early Presbyterian, Dunkards or Primitive Baptist called Penn's Dutchmen, etc. I need help to find families, ties, records and cousins.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,738 times
Having spent my childhood in Keokuk Ia. I returned recently to see what appears to be very sick and dying town. Population has declined for a number of years as has apparently the school district. Both are symptoms of inadequate government planning, visioning and acceptance that communities must divest theirselves of outdated government practices and civil requirements. I have seen this malady in in other communities that relyed soley on manufacturing. Having said that Iowa to include Keokuk is a great place to raise a family if you as a parent are demanding of services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa