U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,402 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with Cedar Rapids as a city. It has everything that most cities have to offer... except fo enough people willing to form new good quality friendships. I have lived here for about nine years now and my adult son and I do not have any friends. In Florida, Calif. and Colorado I always had more friends than I could have ever hoped for. I have advertised on blogs, Craigslist and done everything in my power to try reach out to people... and everyone seems so guarded except for those who want to bum a dollar or a cigarette.

I REALLY miss good times with good friends. I even built my back yard to accommodate friends so that when they got off work or had a day off they had aplace to come and gather, sit in the hot tub, barbeque or just hang out around a fire drinking a beer. The place grows more beautiful each year... but it is devoid of friends. Sad sad world we live in. If there are others here in Cedar Rapids that miss good friendships, feel free to email me at gaspdesign@yahoo.com

Last edited by joseph52; 09-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: typos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,402 times
Default I miss good times with goo friends...

I have no problem with Cedar Rapids as a city. It has everything that most cities have to offer... except fo enough people willing to form new good quality friendships. I have lived here for about nine years now and my adult son and I do not have any friends. In Florida, Calif. and Colorado I always had more friends than i could have ever hoped for. I have advertised on blogs, Craigslist and done everything in my power to try reach out to people... and everyone seems so guarded except for those who want to bum a dollar or a cigarette.
I REALLY miss good times with good friends. I even built my back yard to accommodate friends so that when they got off work or had a day off they had aplace to come and gather, sit in the hot tub, barbeque or just hang out around a fire drinking a beer. The place grows morebeautiful each year... but it is devoid of friends. Sad sad world we live in. If there are others here in Cedar Rapids that miss good friendships, feel free to email me at gaspdesign@earthlink.com

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM

53 posts, read 189,159 times
Smile Oatmeal!

I loved the oatmeal smell when I was a kid. Kinda warmed you up from the OUTSIDE when you walked to school in the snow! Sadly we left after only living there a short time. I'm anxious to get back and revisit. When we lived there briefly I went to Van Buren elementry school. I thought the area was nice enough, LOVED Carlo O'Kelly's. Is that still an ok area? I learned to ice skate on the river. The place was FUN for a kid!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 39,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
I loved the oatmeal smell when I was a kid. Kinda warmed you up from the OUTSIDE when you walked to school in the snow! Sadly we left after only living there a short time. I'm anxious to get back and revisit. When we lived there briefly I went to Van Buren elementry school. I thought the area was nice enough, LOVED Carlo O'Kelly's. Is that still an ok area? I learned to ice skate on the river. The place was FUN for a kid!
Hi Gayle ,

Yeah, that area is ok. Westdale mall is unfortunately struggling, though. Not necessarily in terms of crime, but it is a ghost town with fewer and fewer stores every year since Lindale Mall opened on the NE side of town. I expect something (potentially drastic) to happen with it in the next number of years.

Last edited by ProudOfCR; 09-05-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 08:16 PM

53 posts, read 189,159 times
Talking Ready to leave AZ

Howdy Proud of CR, I don't know if an entire state can be BLIGHTED but if it can that state is AZ. We have even less going on than CA if possible. Time to hit the road and return to civilization! Also if anyone has any pics of the city to share please send them directly to me. The ones I find on the net seem either too vague or too 'personal'. To me that means there are very few 'views' of the city avaiable. I'm excited to get back out there for a look. I think if there are ample jobs in the medical field (support not MD or nurse) I should be fine. And by the looks of some of the posts I'll know where to find a firepit and a BEER!!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 39,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
And by the looks of some of the posts I'll know where to find a firepit and a BEER!!
'Tis about the season, as well. It has been starting to cool down this last week. The last few nights have been perfect for fires. My neighbor had a bonfire two nights ago and you can smell that someone in the area is having one here and there. Leaves are (just) starting to slowly fall from the trees and they maybe hint that they want to start changing colors. I've really grown to appreciate the changing of the seasons.

You've got the spirit!

Oh... and if you work in the medical field, Cedar Rapids is a great place to be. The health care here is excellent (as in multiple hospitals within the top 10 percent of the nation) and the industry seems to be growing. A new medical mall is being planned downtown right now, for example.

Last edited by ProudOfCR; 09-07-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
Having lived in CR for many years, I have to say I am SO glad I left in 2006 and will NEVER move back! I still have family in Cedar Rapids, and visit a couple of times a month, so my take on the city is not outdated by any means. If you plan on moving to CR area, I would suggest looking elsewhere. CR isn't nicknamed "The City of Five Smells" for nothing! Let's see...you have ADM, General Mills, Quaker Oats, Cargill, and of course the landfill on the far east side of town. I have to hit the recycle air button on my car anytime I drive through CR because the smell really makes me want to vomit. The southwest side of town is the worst, with ADM, General Mills and Cargill, but Quaker Oats can permeate almost all of the area anywhere near downtown. The downtown is still a mess after the floods of 2008, with boarded up businesses and houses...along with the northwest side of town, the southwest side of town, and who knows where else because I never go to the east side of the town when I am there. The city offices are still in the ghost mall of Westdale, because they can't seem to get downtown rebuilt. At least the library finally seems to be open again, although not in the evenings or weekends (only 9-5 M-F), so good luck taking your children to the library after work. Have I mentioned I am glad I left CR????

Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,964 times
I used to enjoy driving, then I moved to Cedar Rapids.

There are no tailgating laws that I am aware of and the speed limit doesn't apply to women. When I see a rear-end collision, I expect to see a young woman driver in the car that rear-ended the other car.

4-way stops just confuse people in CR.

Turn signals are optional.

I have never shared the road with a bigger bunch of rude drivers and idiots.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM

364 posts, read 668,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I used to enjoy driving, then I moved to Cedar Rapids.

There are no tailgating laws that I am aware of and the speed limit doesn't apply to women. When I see a rear-end collision, I expect to see a young woman driver in the car that rear-ended the other car.

4-way stops just confuse people in CR.

Turn signals are optional.

I have never shared the road with a bigger bunch of rude drivers and idiots.

I take it you've never driven in SE Michigan?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
I take it you've never driven in SE Michigan?
Not in over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or