U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,397,773 times

Advertisements

Actually when we first moved to Iowa in 1994, we stayed at Windsor on the River apartments for 5 months (forgot all about that!). They were nice apartments, mostly professionals at the time. I think that still may be true of them. I use to enjoy walking down to the river with my kids, and a nearby park. The apartments are on a hill, so they are above the flood plain. I don't think they were affected, although they were right above the river. Also had a nice pool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Would flooding be a concern here? These look ok. They were on my pre-scouting list so that's good. We will avoid the Pointe.

Others that online looked ok were:

Grand Ridge on Ashton Place
Gateway Apartments on 6th Street
Grand Reserve on Rockwell
Granite Valley on C Ave.

Any comments about these places?
That is a possibility. I think it was a concern of my co-worker in 2008, but that was a record flood and he and his wife had an apartment on the lower level.

The intersection of Edgewood and Ellis may close occasionally due to flooding.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,397,773 times
Default Granite Valley on C Ave.

I remember looking at Granite Valley on C Avenue back in 1999. At the time they had an income restriction of not more than $26,000. They were pretty new back then and are still located in a nice area with shopping and nice strip malls. But I don't anything about the reputation of that particular complex anymore.

I don't really know much about Ashton Place, but once I heard of some problems there, although I think it is more built up now and from what I can see of the area, it looks nice from C Avenue. Sorry, i can't be of more help. Can't really think of anywhere else. There are some apartments on Edgewood Road, just a bit up from the Windsor on the River Apartments, but before you get to the south end of town. They are maybe 5 years old look very nice, but I think they may be more pricey. Can't think of the name, but i guess they are a bit of a distance from I-380.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 15,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
There is an apartment building on Glass Road right off of the interstate. It is on top of a hill. I think it may be called Cedar Wood Heights Apartments. This has been one of the busiest places in town for CRPD. Here is a link - apartments cedar rapids ia glass roads - Google Maps

I would not want to live near those apartments. Now if you get far enough west on Glass Road, it probably won't be a problem.

More info - Hot Property #5: Cedarwood Hills Apartments, 2060 Glass Rd. NE « The Hot Beat
So I'm relatively new to cr, moved here to go to kirkwood. I also happen to deliver pizza pt. I 100% understand that article on those apts. They are Bad news (not to mention bad tips lol) plus that parking lot in the snow and ice is terrifying. Actually, a few places around glass rd are quite pain in the winter.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 PM

67 posts, read 136,110 times
I was born and raised in CR. Moved away for the last time in 1999 but still go back as often as I can to see family. It saddens me to see my hometown in such disrepair. I lost a close family member in the flood and was back for the funeral that summer. What a disheartening sight. I admit that I always joked that "CR is a great place to be FROM" but I loved growing up there. Always had plenty to do and never feared for my safety. Downtown used to be a wonderful, vibrant place to be. With all the window scenes of a big city and ppl walking about doing their business day in and day out. The flood was not the demise of downtown however, it was because of poor planning by the city gov't many years prior. The smells of the city used to make me complain, too, until I grew up and realized what my dad meant by saying "that is the smell of money and progress". I have built my life elsewhere but I can say that I would not be afraid to raise my kids or live in CR today.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,047,309 times
Ok, Windsor on the River has gone WAY downhill since 1994 if they were "nice" back then. The setting is beautiful, lots of trees, view of the river but the apartments are really dumpy now. We did like Grand Reserve, newer buildings, clean, nice grounds, etc. We are still looking though.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,572,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, Windsor on the River has gone WAY downhill since 1994 if they were "nice" back then. The setting is beautiful, lots of trees, view of the river but the apartments are really dumpy now. We did like Grand Reserve, newer buildings, clean, nice grounds, etc. We are still looking though.
1994 was a while ago.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM

195 posts, read 374,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudOfCR View Post
Ok... so Cedar Rapids is in the midwest. Furthermore, it's in Iowa. It's already in the running for best place on earth ;-). I guess, given the claim that Cedar Rapids is the best city on earth, I shouldn't be posting this in the Iowa Forum... more like "the whole galaxy" forum, but I digress...

Otherwise... I love Cedar Rapids!

Cedar Rapids is arguably a city yet retains a very laid back vibe compared to cities of its size. You get city benefits but things move slowly. Motorists rarely use their horns and the police don't hassle you unless you draw attention. A four way stop can find itself at a standstill because everyone is letting everyone else go first. Clerks and patrons chat.

Cedar Rapids is ridiculously safe compared to cities of its size. Small cities across the nation struggle with crime. Cedar Rapids sort of struggles with crime, although arguably less than many cities half its size.

Cedar Rapids is fiscally reasonable. It doesn't boom or bust. It just grows. It slowly churns out more and more jobs.

Cedar Rapids doesn't care to tell you that what you do is wrong. Even though it is quite fiscally conservative, it does not maintain social stigmas related to today's definition of the word conservative. In a way, Cedar Rapids can be more socially open than Iowa City to the south. In Iowa City it seems to be a bit of a "hip" thing be open minded... not as real as CR.

Cedar Rapids is gorgeous! The roads sway through forests, up and down hills, and through some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Iowa. You would be hard pressed to find too many more interesting, gorgeous, old (even lavish) houses than you can find in the southeast quadrant of CR. A motorcycle ride through Cedar Rapids is a wonderful experience. Veins of long winding avenues without stop signs or lights curve through the city. This same characteristic makes it a pleasure to take the "long way" to work instead of driving the sterile highway.

Cedar Rapids is not impressed by trends or fads. *I tip my hat to you, CR* We can monitor and even indulge in the trends 30 miles to the south... if we are curious or whatnot...

I hear little praise of Cedar Rapids on this site (Cedar Rapids doesn't necessarily need or want it), but I want to let her know how much she is appreciated.
This is one of the most awesome, well-written post I have seen in the whole city-data forun! Cedar Rapids is awesome. One day I will live there!!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM

8 posts, read 12,899 times
Total B.S.

roads suck here, crime is getting horrible in the SE side, the still haven't fixed/plowed over the damage from the floods, the Mayor is a baby and raised property taxes to a now retarded level. Sure there are a lot of good jobs, if your union. over policed in the wrong area, traffic cameras on pointless intersections. No entertainment unless you want to drink, horrible stenches,.... this place is great!!!!! Unless you are a die-hard liberal, you will not like this town..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or