Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Have you bothered to ask a Muslim female how she feels about Shariah Law? I'm sure their position on itdiffers from yours.
Funny you should ask.

Three Muslim women from Pakistan talked the ears off my husband and his sales associates last week at his store. All were expressing their joy at no longer having to wear the stupid veil, how wonderful it was to be treated with respect at last, and frankly how little they now thought of their religion of birth that had treated them so poorly.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Have you bothered to ask a Muslim female how she feels about Shariah Law? I'm sure their position on itdiffers from yours.

Perhaps you should ask this woman how she feels about sharia...I know it is extreme, but this punishment was doled out according to sharia law..

Our cover image this week is powerful, shocking and disturbing. It is a portrait of Aisha, a shy 18-year-old Afghan woman who was sentenced by a Taliban commander to have her nose and ears cut off for fleeing her abusive in-laws....

Time Magazine's Rare Moment of Insight: Sharia Law and Radical*Islam - Michael D. Brown - Michael Brown, Homeland Security, FEMA (http://michaelbrowntoday.com/journal/2010/7/29/time-magazines-rare-moment-of-insight-sharia-law-and-radical.html - broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I don't understand why people don't (maybe it's "won't") grasp that Islamic law varies from country to country and culture to culture. I've noticed that people tend to point out the worst of the worst examples, and Afghanistan probably takes first prize for that. Women in Afghanistan are sitting in prison for the crime of adultery because they were raped. Countries like Afghanistan that tend to not have changed much culturally in the past millenium are usually the worst.

But why then apply the worst of the worst to all of Islam when the information is out there to look up in a simple search? Isn't this kind of like killing ordinary Americans who don't make foreign policy because of decisions made by their government and military?

Woman in Egypt hold the purse strings, for example. There have been a number of Muslim women heads of state--we've never had one yet in our own country. Islam allows women to own property, and they were centuries ahead of the western nations on that one.

It's puzzling to see some people screeching stupid stuff about the Park Place mosque regarding women having to wear burqas when I've yet to see a picture of Daisy Khan, the wife of the imam, wearing even a headscarf.

What are these people even thinking who are so frightened of Shariah law taking over in the United States? Isn't this a bit paranoid? And an extremely remote possiblity--not because there might be extremists who would like this, but because they'd have a snowball's chance in hell of getting away with it.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Funny you should ask.

Three Muslim women from Pakistan talked the ears off my husband and his sales associates last week at his store. All were expressing their joy at no longer having to wear the stupid veil, how wonderful it was to be treated with respect at last, and frankly how little they now thought of their religion of birth that had treated them so poorly.

Why?
Isn't that interesting. The only reports we ever hear from the muslim camp are women who say how much they love going about wrapped up in a coalsack as though God had created something to be ashamed of.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Isn't that interesting. The only reports we ever hear from the muslim camp are women who say how much they love going about wrapped up in a coalsack as though God had created something to be ashamed of.

What I see in this belief is that:

That men are weak and so women need to cover up so men will have self control.

This is common in Islam, Judaism and Christianity in the more conservative/orthodox branches.

What I see is that the women believe that they are protecting the men from their weakness.

When women grow up with this they see it as normal.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
What I see in this belief is that:

That men are weak and so women need to cover up so men will have self control.

This is common in Islam, Judaism and Christianity in the more conservative/orthodox branches.

What I see is that the women believe that they are protecting the men from their weakness.

When women grow up with this they see it as normal.

Yes, that mindset's sort of like a woman who was raped "asking for it" because she was wearing a short skirt.

What I don't get about the sects who have to cover from head to toe is why the old women have to continue to do so as well. Are the men in these cultures so out of control that the sight of an octogenerian's ankles will cause them to go into a sexual frenzy?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, that mindset's sort of like a woman who was raped "asking for it" because she was wearing a short skirt.

What I don't get about the sects who have to cover from head to toe is why the old women have to continue to do so as well. Are the men in these cultures so out of control that the sight of an octogenerian's ankles will cause them to go into a sexual frenzy?

Yes the men are out of control. It is also a way to control women. Women are powerless in these cultures and the men have the power.

So they fight against women having education, being covered from head to toe and being under the control of the men in their households.

As to the belief that if a girl is raped she must have done something to deserve it, that belief is alive and well. And not just in Muslim countries.

It is the reason that a girl who is raped may run the risk of being arrested. The belief is that she must have done something to cause it.

Men may not be punished at all.

The result is that there are women in jails (who have been raped) to protect them from being killed by their families who want to restore their families honor.

It is very sad because they are powerless in the face of horrible violence.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM

124 posts, read 173,817 times
The coverings tend to be a more cultural than religious practice as are honor killings, acid tossing and face mutilation. Most Muslim women outside of the few radical insane Arab cultures only wear a hair covering. My mother doesn't even wear that. Islam isn't as monolithic as you guys seem to think

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Yes the men are out of control. It is also a way to control women. Women are powerless in these cultures and the men have the power.

So they fight against women having education, being covered from head to toe and being under the control of the men in their households.

As to the belief that if a girl is raped she must have done something to deserve it, that belief is alive and well. And not just in Muslim countries.

It is the reason that a girl who is raped may run the risk of being arrested. The belief is that she must have done something to cause it.

Men may not be punished at all.

The result is that there are women in jails (who have been raped) to protect them from being killed by their families who want to restore their families honor.

It is very sad because they are powerless in the face of horrible violence.
Did you read Kabul Beauty School? If not, I recommend it.

Just to clarify something--I agree that this is definitely not just in Muslim countries, but not all Muslim countries follow those practices, either. Iranian women are often highly educated (was just reading a NY Times article about a young Iranian woman studying engineering here because US colleges are superior to Iranian colleges for that career) as are women in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, and some others. Afghanistan--I wouldn't go there for all the money in the world. Saudi Arabia, either. The Kingdom might have all the modern buildings and amenities that money can buy, but their treatment of women is still back in the days when they were goat-herders.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KongAtTheGates View Post
The coverings tend to be a more cultural than religious practice as are honor killings, acid tossing and face mutilation. Most Muslim women outside of the few radical insane Arab cultures only wear a hair covering. My mother doesn't even wear that. Islam isn't as monolithic as you guys seem to think
As someone with hair that's easily sent into orbit by weather conditions, I've kind of wished sometimes that wearing a head scarf would go mainstream fashion.

I'll vouch for what you said. I work in Manhattan, and know Muslim businesswomen and lawyers. Some cover their hair, some do not. Also, on the streets you see some Muslim women dressing according to their cultural background. For example, African Muslimahs tend to wear long skirts with long-sleeve tops or dresses in bright colorful patterns with matching head coverings. Other Muslimahs wear suits with long skirts or pants and just the headscarf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam