Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
they are hired by a congregation to be the Imam of a mosque. Like a minister or a rabbi...
Yes, but that doesn't tell me how they support themselves. Or do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, but that doesn't tell me how they support themselves. Or do they?

They get paid by the mosque who hired them like rabbis and ministers do.

The Imam I know gets paid a salary.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
They get paid by the mosque who hired them like rabbis and ministers do.

The Imam I know gets paid a salary.
Interesting.

Well, then that is the equivalent of Christian priests and ministers passing the basket, then. The congregation supports them one way or the other.

Thank you.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Interesting.

Well, then that is the equivalent of Christian priests and ministers passing the basket, then. The congregation supports them one way or the other.

Thank you.
A basket is never passed during friday services. Members of the mosque make donations as they choose too.

In Judaism you join a synagogue, a basket is never passed.

In all religions the congregation in one way or another helps with support.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Define "extremist mindset". Are you saying they aren't moderates, but neither are they extremists? Do you think they tacitly (or expressly) support extremism?
Killing people in the name of religion.

They are not moderates because moderation implies innovation or deviation. True Muslims do not innovate nor deviate. They are not extremists because that too implies innovation or deviation.

Muslims are simply that. As they have been since the Prophet introduced the Koran. They follow the rules, they live their life, much the same as you and I. What we see on the 9 o'clock news is NOT typical of the religion. It is the rare and terrible exception.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Muslims take treats to their cultural identity very seriously, whether they are doctors or not.
That was made no more evident than with the Arizona father who ran his daughter over with the family SUV for being too "westernized". She died from her injuries, and he tried to flee the country to avoid arrest. He was apprehended. The only difference between this father and other hardline traditional muslim fathers is that he just LOST it.

Quote:
I don't think that Islam has degrees. It is a black or white religion. You are or you aren't. They shun the moderate "modern" mindset as strongly as they shun the extremist mindset.
While most religions have their extremists, what you stated above is true of Islam. There is NO middle ground in Islamic society. The sad part is that the extremist side will win out, because there is no room for "tolerance" or "moderation" in Shariah Law. To conform to our way of life, deviation from tradition is mandatory.

Quote:
A basket is never passed during friday services. Members of the mosque make donations as they choose too.
Same as in Christian churches. People choose to tithe. If you choose not to, pass the basket on.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
I am curious are there any muslims here who can talk about Islam honestly.
They are much too busy cutting and pasting quranic scripture on other threads to bother with this subject.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Killing people in the name of religion.

They are not moderates because moderation implies innovation or deviation. True Muslims do not innovate nor deviate. They are not extremists because that too implies innovation or deviation.

Muslims are simply that. As they have been since the Prophet introduced the Koran. They follow the rules, they live their life, much the same as you and I. What we see on the 9 o'clock news is NOT typical of the religion. It is the rare and terrible exception.

20yrsinBranson
If you change word "moderate" to "progressive" in this post I think you're largely correct. The problem is moderation doesn't necessarily imply innovation, it implies well moderation. It's a matter of temperament and compromise, which a traditionalist can compromise on some things. So basically if you switch that word I think what results is largely right to what I know.

So it becomes

"They are not progressives because progress implies innovation or deviation. True Muslims do not innovate nor deviate. They are not extremists because that too implies innovation or deviation.

20yrsinBranson"

It's true a large amount of Muslims just follow a tradition and are neither extremists nor wanting to change Islam to be more "progressive."

Old 08-09-2010, 05:26 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Just checking in to see how many moderate Muslims have posted in this thread to defend the moderates or condemn the fanatical element of Islam...None yet? I had such hopes!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Which is potentially weird as there's at least one moderate Muslim who posts on the forum for an SF magazine I read. Said magazine has less than 20,000 subscribers.

Although some moderate to liberal Muslims feel that defending themselves implies that they are a suspect of something. That they should be "innocent until proven guilty" and that people of other faiths would get that right. (Not here of course, where philosophies or religions are sometimes guilty until proven innocent.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam