Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

Either uphold the Constitution, or scrap the damn thing. It is NOT an ala carte menu to pick and choose from, it's an all or nothing.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
No mosque should be allowed anywhere on US soil. Personally I think the day islam is wiped from existence is the day the world becomes a better place. Shut it down.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
No mosque should be allowed anywhere on US soil. Personally I think the day islam is wiped from existence is the day the world becomes a better place. Shut it down.

There are people who say that about Christianity.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I'll turn that back around on you. THEY can't have it both ways. They don't come here to be part of our society, they come to dominate it. Keep walking on eggshells and bending over backward if you like. Sooner or later an eggshell will break and they will kill, rape and pillage because of it. Or your back will break and you can no longer resist as you should have to start with. Keep feeding that crocodile. Maybe he will eat you last, right after he eats your children. OK by me if we disallow any new Muslims into our nation and kick any out that make trouble for us.

I studied Islam and I know many muslims and they are just like other people.
They have jobs, families, kids.
They are active in the interfaith community.
They were born in this country and they are Americans.

They simply want to be left in peace to live their lives.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If you so disapprove of rights guaranteed by our Constitution, that hundreds of thousands of Americans have died to defend, I have a few suggestions of countries you could relocate to.

You are the proof that there is no hatred and pure and irrational as that born in religion. How much hatred does it take to wish to kill 1.6 BILLION people?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Muslims have a right to place it there, but it will do nothing but create friction. It's quite simply a really bad idea.
Yes i would fully agree. Although the right may be there it will do little to further community relations in the US,and allows the right wing further ammunition to vilify Muslims.
The Islamic Community should take note they are of insignificant number in the USA and that it would be in there best interests not to upset folk and to beat a retreat with regads to the building affair.
Saying that i think it cannot be easy to be a person of Islamic faith in America these days. Hope more live and let live can return and common sense prevail.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 AM

146 posts, read 481,922 times
Just because they're Muslim does not mean they're not American and have the same rights as everyone else. We have the right to burn a quran, why can't they build a place of worship?

Did everyone forget about the Mosqe on the 17th floor of WTC? Why did no one care then? Maybe because Fox "news" wasn't telling them too?

Denying them the community center is the reason we were attacked in the first place!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
those people at the world trade center were murdered in the name of that religion and to put a mosque from the same religion that murdered them in that area is pathetic.

im a new yorker and i resent all the attempts on my life here and the lives of my fellow new yorkers in the name of that religion.

and yep this is a case of the baby being thrown out by the bath water as not all muslims are evil and violent.

but then why isnt more done by the good ones to stop the extremists?

im tired of new york being held hostage by them. if i sound angry its because at this point i am. i have to worry that every time my kids go off to work in the city it may be the last time ill see them.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 AM

429 posts, read 931,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
my whole peeve about it is, the muslim community can clearly see that it's outraging millions of americans,
I do not think that this is their motivation, but personally, I think that doing something like that that outrages folks is a good reason to do it. People need to confront why they're having that reaction to someone doing something that isn't a direct action involving them.

It seems like many people have the attitude that if they do not like or agree with something, if something is offending them, it should be prohibited. The whole point of having constitutional free speech protections in the first place is to guarantee that you can express things that other folks might be uncomfortable with--often VERY uncomfortable with, things that they'd try to prohibit from being expressed if we didn't have the constitutional protection.

So instead, in my opinion, they should examine themselves, try to figure out why they're bothered by others' choices, speech/expression, etc., with a goal of being a bit more laissez-faire and not getting upset just because other folks are different than they are, make different choices than they would, and have and express different views.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 AM

146 posts, read 481,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
those people at the world trade center were murdered in the name of that religion and to put a mosque from the same religion that murdered them in that area is pathetic.

im a new yorker and i resent all the attempts on my life here and the lives of my fellow new yorkers in the name of that religion.

and yep this is a case of the baby being thrown out by the bath water as not all muslims are evil and violent.

but then why isnt more done by the good ones to stop the extremists?

im tired of new york being held hostage by them.
There was a mosque in the WTC before it was attacked.

What if a Christian guy attacked the WTC, would you hate all Christians? What if it was a buddhists?

The reason we were attacked was because we wanted to deny and surpriess their beliefs, they have EVERY RIGHT to practice their faith, same with you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam