Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 PM

271 posts, read 355,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Hijab, niqab, burka, durka etc Not sure which is which.

It looks like they command that the hair be covered, but what about the face? From where did they get the idea the face must also be covered?
Quote from Elwill's link
Quote:
Among the proofs used by the scholars regarding the face veil are the following: `Aishah (RAA) said: "May Allah bestow His Mercy on the first Muhajirat (emigrants). When Allah revealed:...and draw their headcovers over their necks and bosoms... they tore their (material) and covered themselves with it." [Al-Bukhari] [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani, known as "Amir Al-Mu'mineen in Hadeeth" has explained that "covered themselves" means: "covered their faces." [Fateh Al-Bari].
The issue of the Niqab has continued to arouse extended controversy and debate between `Ulama (scholars) and Fuqaha (jurists) both past and present concerning whether it is Wajib (mandatory) or Mustahab (favored by Allah) (SWT) for the woman. And whether she subsequently falls into sin by exposing her face or not.

First: Since the two views agree upon the legitimacy of the Niqab, that it is a consumate perfection for a woman and more virtuous for her, as well as closer to the aims of the Shari'ah-which is to prevent Fitnah, and is an obstruction to excuses as well as severing the path of those who follow their lusts, it is therefore more appropiate, that the efforts should be directed to encourage wearing the Niqab, and to motivate people towards it. And to show and explain it's virtues and merits. This implies that covering the face with the Niqab should be the general rule and uncovering the face the exception. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
Second:
In spite of the fact that there are differing views on the Islamic ruling regarding whether the Niqab is obligatory or recommended, it is undoubtably one's duty to unify the call for it and cooperate as much as possible in urging young women about its necessity and to limit their desire to expose their faces as much as possible. Indeed, it is merely gracious according to both parties. Not as is happening now between opposing sides which is to leave the matter loose and dangling, through the claim that the Niqab is only Mustahab, and being aloof from spreading the call for it. This is indeed an inversion of the truth and poor judgement in the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM

63,774 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:

It looks like they command that the hair be covered, but what about the face? From where did they get the idea the face must also be covered?
They got all these absurdities from our ignorant primitive culturally barbaric ancestors!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A hijab doesn't cover one's face.

Ya gotta get that Muslim-garment terminology down. I see a lot of confusion on here about that stuff. Could lead to wardrobe malfunctions.
A wardrobe malfunction at a Miss Iran pageant would be someone removing their head scarves and showing their scalps. Sexy!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Where in the bible did catholics (olden days) get the belief that women should cover their heads in church? and that jews should wear yamukkahs?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Where in the bible did catholics (olden days) get the belief that women should cover their heads in church? and that jews should wear yamukkahs?

The Talmud says that the purpose of wearing a kippah is to remind us of God, who is the Higher Authority "above us" (Kiddushin 31a). External actions create internal awareness; wearing a symbolic, tangible "something above us" reinforces that idea that God is always watching. The kippah is a means to draw out one's inner sense of respect for God.

But Kippot are not worn all the time by all Jews. Also in some denominations of Judaism women wear kippot in synagogue.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The Talmud says that the purpose of wearing a kippah is to remind us of God, who is the Higher Authority "above us" (Kiddushin 31a). External actions create internal awareness; wearing a symbolic, tangible "something above us" reinforces that idea that God is always watching. The kippah is a means to draw out one's inner sense of respect for God.

But Kippot are not worn all the time by all Jews. Also in some denominations of Judaism women wear kippot in synagogue.
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that Catholics get the wearing of the veil in church from this tradition?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that Catholics get the wearing of the veil in church from this tradition?
I don't know about the Catholic veil. I do know that as Jew I wear a tallit but not a kippah in synagogue. I do it because i am a Jew and it is a Jewish tradition for me.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
It is important to remember that the majority of Muslims do not follow the Koran to the letter.

If you read the bible, it clearly states that no person should wear an article of clothing made from 2 different fibers. Most Jews and Christians ignore this "law".

By the same token, most Muslims do not follow the law that Women have their head covered. That is a tradition that is embraced by about 1% of practicing Muslims, and usually only in countries that are horribly ass backwards anyway. And in those countries they take it to the extreme by making women wear black from head to toe.

It's like when you judge all Christians based on what Fundamentalist polygamous mormon women wear, with their Little House on the Prairie garb. Or if you think that all Catholic men are transvestites just because the pope wears a dress.

The reason I bring this up is because Muslim countries are generally very forward thinking on women's rights. Many predominantly Muslim countries have women as Heads of State, even as far back as the 9th century.

FWIW, I am an atheist, so I have no axe to grind and no reason to spread Islamic propaganda. Just wanted to point that out.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 12-30-2010 at 02:37 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Then why do most Muslim populations, even those enclaves in America have such a very poor record when it comes to women's rights? From what I see around me a hell of a lot more than 1% of Muslim women wear head coverings...I would be interested in knowing if the information you have is valid, where you got it, or if it is just your opinion...Everything I have read contradicts it.

Here is some valid info for you... http://www.hrw.org/world-report-2010

Last edited by sanspeur; 12-30-2010 at 03:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
It is important to remember that the majority of Muslims do not follow the Koran to the letter.

If you read the bible, it clearly states that no person should wear an article of clothing made from 2 different fibers. Most Jews and Christians ignore this "law".

By the same token, most Muslims do not follow the law that Women have their head covered. That is a tradition that is embraced by about 1% of practicing Muslims, and usually only in countries that are horribly ass backwards anyway. And in those countries they take it to the extreme by making women wear black from head to toe.

It's like when you judge all Christians based on what Fundamentalist polygamous mormon women wear, with their Little House on the Prairie garb. Or if you think that all Catholic men are transvestites just because the pope wears a dress.

The reason I bring this up is because Muslim countries are generally very forward thinking on women's rights. Many predominantly Muslim countries have women as Heads of State, even as far back as the 9th century.

FWIW, I am an atheist, so I have no axe to grind and no reason to spread Islamic propaganda. Just wanted to point that out.
I hear you but then think about the burkha and the Taliban in Afghanistan. Of women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia and the morality police walking about. Of the lovely Islamic Republic of Iran stoning a woman because she allegedly had an affair, of them hanging 2 gay teenagers who were about 15 years of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam