Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, you want to insult an entire religion by breaking a religious taboo? Tell me, what would you do if someone spit on a cross, or burned one in the front yard of their home?

A religious symbol, no matter the religion, is important to the people practicing that faith -- and freedom of religion means *all* religions.
Of course. All institutions need to challenged and yes, insulted, especially the dogma of religions. That's called free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Do you really think there wouldn't be a serious violent backlash if someone drew a cartoon of Jesus getting jiggy with Mary Magdeline with a thought bubble over Jesus's head saying "So THIS is what they mean by Ho Ho Ho!" in the local daily newspaper?

The fundamentalists would have a field day with it. They'd take it as a good excuse to start hanging anyone who had olive-colored skin and wide nostrils.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
This image that caused the controvery in Denmbark is in poor taste:
http://fredfred.net/skriker/images/f...s_jesus/m6.jpg

I can totally see being upset but not to the point of fatwas and attacking/burning an embassy. Im not a fan of the Pope but you will NEVER see him espoucing Catholics to kill people who disagree with him.. We'd chase him away from the Vatican, red pradas and all.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I do admire their devotion.
Ditto I admire the devotion but am revolted by the execution.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM

11,236 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Do you really think there wouldn't be a serious violent backlash if someone drew a cartoon of Jesus getting jiggy with Mary Magdeline with a thought bubble over Jesus's head saying "So THIS is what they mean by Ho Ho Ho!" in the local daily newspaper?

The fundamentalists would have a field day with it. They'd take it as a good excuse to start hanging anyone who had olive-colored skin and wide nostrils.
Nonsense. Nobody would be killed. Churches and religious leaders would ask for a formal apology and that the cartoonist and editor be dismissed from their positions. And this would be expected. Also, the relevance of the cartoon would be taken into consideration as well. What you described is different in nature than what was depicted in the Danish cartoon. Way different! I don't believe anyone died over Oliver Stone's The Last Temptation of Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I can totally see being upset but not to the point of fatwas and attacking/burning an embassy. Im not a fan of the Pope but you will NEVER see him espoucing Catholics to kill people who disagree with him.. We'd chase him away from the Vatican, red pradas and all.
Exactly!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Uh..., The Last Temptation of Christ is a film directed by Martin Scorsese.

And I agree that as wacko as I think Christian Fundamentalists are they are (now) rarely involved in violent acts against those who they feel have offended them.

Muslims are a completely different story.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Uh..., The Last Temptation of Christ is a film directed by Martin Scorsese.

And I agree that as wacko as I think Christian Fundamentalists are they are (now) rarely involved in violent acts against those who they feel have offended them.

Muslims are a completely different story.
My mistake. I was thinking controversy and Stone immidiately popped into my mind. You're right, it was Scorcese. But the main controversy Christian groups had with the movie came from a scene depicting sex with Mary Magdaline as AnonChick mentioned in an earlier post when describing a religious cartoon. Christian groups staged a fairly successful protest to keep the movie from recieving a widespread release as well as Blockbuster video from carrying it as a rental. That's how situations of that nature are handled by normal people/institutions.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The movie didn't MAKE FUN of the Christian diety. The whole "what if" game is pretty stupid.

There's lots of "what if" games people could play. The fact of the matter is, every group has a line, that once crossed, triggers violence. The muslims community had theirs triggered.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
The movie didn't MAKE FUN of the Christian diety. The whole "what if" game is pretty stupid.

There's lots of "what if" games people could play. The fact of the matter is, every group has a line, that once crossed, triggers violence. The muslims community had theirs triggered.
It matters a great deal where that line is.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, every group has a line, that once crossed, triggers violence. The muslims community had theirs triggered.
Usually that "line" has a lot more to do than with just a picture of something. Name just one other religion whose dieties are not allowed to be illustrated in pictures. Why should the freedoms of expression and press be stifled in free countries to please a minority group? In good taste or not, freedoms are freedoms. It never ceases to amaze me how many liberals champion first amendment rights, but then stand behind Islam as though Islam shares the same values as they do.

Islams predisposition to violence is what sparked the idea of the cartoon in the first place. Was the biggest problem with the cartoon the fact that it was a picture of the Prophet, or how he was displayed in the picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam