Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Usually that "line" has a lot more to do than with just a picture of something. Name just one other religion whose dieties are not allowed to be illustrated in pictures. Why should the freedoms of expression and press be stifled in free countries to please a minority group? In good taste or not, freedoms are freedoms. It never ceases to amaze me how many liberals champion first amendment rights, but then stand behind Islam as though Islam shares the same values as they do.

Islams predisposition to violence is what sparked the idea of the cartoon in the first place. Was the biggest problem with the cartoon the fact that it was a picture of the Prophet, or how he was displayed in the picture?
it was how he was displayed in the picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, you want to insult an entire religion by breaking a religious taboo? Tell me, what would you do if someone spit on a cross, or burned one in the front yard of their home?

A religious symbol, no matter the religion, is important to the people practicing that faith -- and freedom of religion means *all* religions.

Hmmm...well we already had the "art exhibit" of a cross sitting in urine. I believe it was in New York City. We also had an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry David used the cross in a very unslighty manner. Did either "artist" die because of it? No, not even close. It's called Freedom of Expression......

Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Hmmm...well we already had the "art exhibit" of a cross sitting in urine. I believe it was in New York City. We also had an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry David used the cross in a very unslighty manner. Did either "artist" die because of it? No, not even close. It's called Freedom of Expression......

There was an exhibit in DC with ants crawling all over Jesus on the cross and it was taken down and set up elsewhere. But no one got killed.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

In my opinion the muslims need to get over it and move on. Not everyone has the same opinion of the prophet. Not everyone has the same opinion of Jesus. People have the right to expression as long as it does not incite violence against others.

Personally what I get upset with is that Muslims get so upset about pictures of their prophet but they don't have an issue with the kinds of incitement against Jews and Christians. They don't have a problem with tv shows, or tv ads or pictures in papers or comics depicting human beings as less then human.

They have terrorists up on pedestals like they have done something good by killing innocent people.

Muslims continue to deny that muslims even carry out terrorist attacks and they have even said it was not Muslims that took down the twin towers.

Personally I would not be unhappy if every paper in the world printed a cartoon of the prophet on the same exact day.

Muslims need to get over it!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:05 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
It is my personal belief that islam is a terrible scourge on humanity. It is a religion of hatred and it is slowly infiltrating the western world because in general westerners have been taught tolerance and acceptance. It is the insidiousness of this awful religion that will bring a huge amount of harm to non muslims. Islam is incongruous with western philosophy and principles.

Religion should be banned.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
It is my personal belief that islam is a terrible scourge on humanity. It is a religion of hatred and it is slowly infiltrating the western world because in general westerners have been taught tolerance and acceptance. It is the insidiousness of this awful religion that will bring a huge amount of harm to non muslims. Islam is incongruous with western philosophy and principles.

Religion should be banned.

The problem is perhaps not with Islam, it is with some people who practice it. All major western religions also have violent scriptures. Islam is not unique in that. The difference lies in the fact that the leaders and adherents take a different view of how literally the scriptures are to be followed. Even the Pope or the most orthodox Jewish rabbi will not be seen calling for beheadings and such.

It must be a problem in the Muslim's backwards culture.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
I don't believe your Allah really exists. I think it is a man made myth, like those of the ancient Greeks or Romans.

As a non-Muslim, do you think I should have the right to express how I feel about the Islamic religion, even if it involves ridicule?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:56 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Did it hit a particular nerve? Most people in the free world believe that the cartoon sums up the truth fairly well. Why should those feelings be censored for you guys?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM

77 posts, read 152,036 times
I guess if christianity wants to be taken seriously it has to blow up a few people...that's pretty pathetic.

What I don't get is why they name all their children Mohammud. If they don't want to worship an "image" of M...why would they name all their kids M? Surely they are not comparing their child to the "great prophet" Mohammud?

If they think that a picture of M is a sin, then surely comparing one's self to M is just as big...if not bigger a sin.

Yay for the stupid dogmas of stupid religions!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't believe your Allah really exists. I think it is a man made myth, like those of the ancient Greeks or Romans.

As a non-Muslim, do you think I should have the right to express how I feel about the Islamic religion, even if it involves ridicule?
to be honest with you

it will depends on the priorities
you can't expect peacfull life in society have such "absolute freedom" which allow anyone to say anything about other's beliefs

i consider it wisdom to make some restrictions and to stablish some limits for the sake of higher purposes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam