Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the non theocrats and non traditionalists on both sides have been parties to the conflict as well.

Why not just say different ethnicities, different peoples, different nationalism?

Cause then we would be just as good as the french and germans, the poles and russians, the greeks and turks, the serbs and croats, the quebecois and the anglo canadians, or even, the americans and the british. Not some far off backward people to feel superior to?
Who said anything about superiority? We're all hairless bipedal apes to me, whatever color we happen to be or artificial boundary we find ourselves born and/or living in.

I see your point though. I can't count the number of times I've been asked if I was a mormon after telling them I was from Utah.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Who said anything about superiority? We're all hairless bipedal apes to me, whatever color we happen to be or artificial boundary we find ourselves born and/or living in.

I see your point though. I can't count the number of times I've been asked if I was a mormon after telling them I was from Utah.

I am a jew, and a religious one (though not orthodox) so Im not sure what you mean. My point is that the israeli - arab conflict is, at bottom, a conflict between two peoples, very similar to many other national conflicts past and present. This was much clearer in the 1950s when secularists were stronger on both sides. Certainly there are religious groups that have taken a religious angle to the conflict, and right now, in 2011, some of the most extreme voices on both sides are religious. But the difficulties in reaching an agreement now - in particular the conflict between Israel's deep need for security, and the Palestinians sense that even accepting the 1967 lines is a compromise, and anything less is a loss of national dignity - is a dilemma that would be difficult to resolve even if only secularists were on both sides.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We're all hairless bipedal apes to me,
hairless? Speak for yourself, nordic.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Don't eat ham...eat Spam...Burger King serves up Spam in Hawaii - Business - Consumer news - Retail - msnbc.com

Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
hairless? Speak for yourself, nordic.
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...and Vikingish.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
What was Jesus' opinion on all this?

Quote:

Matthew 15:11
Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

15Peter said to Him, “Explain the parable to us.”

16Jesus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? 17“Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? 18“But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. 19“For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. 20“These are the things which defile the man;.... ”

Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Blind obedience......
If you take the Quran and the Torah out of the mix to figure out why both religions consider pork not kosher or not hallel only one assumption fits. Pigs are useless in a desert environment. from birth to death they give nothing during their lifetimes. So as a farm animal it was totally useless to tend an animal that only takes. so thus its charataristics carried into those books.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 PM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
I doubt that lack of utility explains away why other animals were prohibited. You know, such as chickens, catfish, eels, all insects except locusts,

Prohibited Animals
Halacha-Overview 28. Forbidden Foods - Torah.org

One thing to keep in mind is that the dietary law was provided for a people who would be in the desert for just 40 years and then would set up permanent residence in the non-desert land of Canaan. If indeed the dietary laws were based on the exigencies of an arid environment, then forcing the nation to continue to abide by them would have been impractical and irrational. In fact, the nation would have complained about it somewhere along the line and pointed out the glaring irrationality. Yet no one did because the prohibitions were not instituted based environmental utility but based on health reasons.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the dietary law was provided for a people who would be in the desert for just 40 years......
And what did they do before the Halacha was written? Before the bible existed? Take a look at any current tribe that exists today. What seperates them from each other? - The rules of the tribe.

Quote:
Yet no one did because the prohibitions were not instituted based environmental utility but based on health reasons.
Do you really think anything was based on health reasons 6000 years ago? Or even 3000 years ago?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They just reveal the ignorance that pervades the Islamic mindset perpetuating an anachronistic cultural barbarity well beyond its useful life. The world has become civilized while they stagnate at 6th century ideas or older.

from the look of things nowdays with religion, i wouldn't touch mainstream religion with a googolplex pole..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam