Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Actually we share a larger percentage of DNA with Bonobos. One time thought to be a sub species of Chimpanzee.

While DNA is strong evidence of man and apes having nearly identical building materials does not prove they came from the same ancestors.
Finding the actual chromosome in each of us that was fused from two primate chromosomes distinguishing us from chimpanzes really gives us no reason to believe anything other than common ancestry. In fact, that is exactly what we would expect if we do have a common ancester - a prediction of evolution and common ancestry, knowing the difference in our genome. If that is the way the designer did it, why was it designed to look as though that is exactly what happened. That would be untenable as it would be deceitful. Another "smoking gun" is the fact the all the great apes, including us, share a broken GULO gene. Common ancestry explains that as well. Why would a designer give us a broken gene, share with all the great apes? If we had that gene, humans wouldn't suffer from scurvy.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-01-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Actually we share a larger percentage of DNA with Bonobos. One time thought to be a sub species of Chimpanzee.

While DNA is strong evidence of man and apes having nearly identical building materials does not prove they came from the same ancestors.

DNA is very strong evidence.... It surely does prove it...

Having the building materials ie your structure and the fact that physically primates share physical traits..

The DNA is different then what the physical traits are. DNA makes us what we are. What we can see and not see. DNA absolutely links us with primates.

Being linked with them does not mean we came from chimps but it does mean we are in the same family tree.

Maybe we are not linked with bonobos because I listened to a podcast this morning that linked our human violence to the violence of chimps and the bonobos do not have the same tendency to violence.

I have linked a url for the pod cast I listened to below:

NOVA | Learning From Bonobos

Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
DNA is very strong evidence.... It surely does prove it...

Having the building materials ie your structure and the fact that physically primates share physical traits..

The DNA is different then what the physical traits are. DNA makes us what we are. What we can see and not see. DNA absolutely links us with primates.

Being linked with them does not mean we came from chimps but it does mean we are in the same family tree.

Maybe we are not linked with bonobos because I listened to a podcast this morning that linked our human violence to the violence of chimps and the bonobos do not have the same tendency to violence.

I have linked a url for the pod cast I listened to below:

NOVA | Learning From Bonobos
Bonobos are pretty neat critters. Among my favorite animals. Unfortunately I never had a chance to work with them. Most of my work with primates was with chimps.

Before I go too far off topic I do agree with you that the DNA is very strong evidence. But strong evidence is not mean proof. A preponderance of evidence is not as other explanations can be offered to show why there would be a strong similarity. For example if the prototypes of man and apes were made from the same inert material.

Going in reverse logic you can also say that even a minute difference of DNA between 2 species is strong evidence of different origins. Until one can account for the differences of DNA any difference leaves open the possibility of different origins and ie The Moloch of Australia and the Horned lizard of the Southwest USA, very similar in both DNA and even in appearance, yet absolutely unrelated species. Another example would the the Tuatara and iguana.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Bonobos are pretty neat critters. Among my favorite animals. Unfortunately I never had a chance to work with them. Most of my work with primates was with chimps.

Before I go too far off topic I do agree with you that the DNA is very strong evidence. But strong evidence is not mean proof. A preponderance of evidence is not as other explanations can be offered to show why there would be a strong similarity. For example if the prototypes of man and apes were made from the same inert material.
Sure, we're all made of 'star-stuff' but way beyond that, inherited errors in the genetic code and distinct chromosomal fusions show our relatedness through these heritable traits. Proposing scenarios without regard to the proponderance of the evidence does not make an explanation reasonable. See Lastthursdayism.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I'd hardly refer to the common ancestor of man and apes as being made of 'inert material', although I'm not sure what you regard as the 'building blocks'.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd hardly refer to the common ancestor of man and apes as being made of 'inert material', although I'm not sure what you regard as the 'building blocks'.
It is inferred from "dust of the ground."

Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Oh. That doesn't do much for me.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Oh. That doesn't do much for me.
It's referenced in the Bible. Adam made from the dust of the ground, dust you are dust you shall be, etc... Apologists equate dust in the ground, the dust, with inert elemental substance, such as above with "same inert material."

Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,855 times
I can understand why man thousands of years ago would come up with a story of man being created out of clay. That being one of the easiest material to form pots cups and statues out of.
However if they really knew what humans were mostly composed of then the story should have had us coming out of a pond. Since we are mostly composed of water.
A story like that would go along with abiogenesis better than the dirt story.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Well, I am a believer who also believes in evolution..If God is the creator I can accept that He also created evolution..

However I just cannot accept that man came from anything except man..I can accept the fact that man has evolved due to his environment, learning ability, etc, but I think man has always been man..

I do not believe that creationism should be taught in school simply because there is no scientific proof of it..It takes a whole lot of...well you know.. and that comes from within a person and cannot be taught from a text book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam