Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,525,585 times

Advertisements

ANGRY parents have blasted a teacher for telling ten-year-olds to copy a Muslim prayer saying “There is no God but Allah”.

Helen Green is said to have picked the Muslim call to prayer as HAND-WRITING practice.

It includes the lines “Allah is the greatest” and “I bear witness that there is no God but Allah”.

Pupil Billy Darbyshire’s stepmum Hayley Clayton said: “The explanation was that the children were learning about Islam in RE.

broken link

Last edited by Hoosier; 08-10-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,906,781 times
I'm sure they could have used some other handwriting example to pick then a Muslim prayer. That would make me very upset too!

Can you imagine if a Muslim was forced to take a class on Christianity and was forced to write the Lord's Prayer as a handwriting example! The whole world would be in an uproar...and I'm sure someone would be suing!

It will be interesting to see what kind of coverage the media gives this.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,563,245 times
Looks like a surreptitious way of promoting the Muslim religion to children.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,444,336 times
I am not an advocate for teaching religion in science class but I am an advocate for teaching religion in Social Studies or something like it. I do find that doing things such as this is immoral strictly from an educational standpoint. Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Norse Mythology, there is no room in the class to say what is true and what isn't in regards to religion. On that note, to give a better understanding of the world around us and other people's beliefs religion, as a whole, should be studied in school but not seen as one religion being right or wrong over any other.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,906,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I am not an advocate for teaching religion in science class but I am an advocate for teaching religion in Social Studies or something like it. I do find that doing things such as this is immoral strictly from an educational standpoint. Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Norse Mythology, there is no room in the class to say what is true and what isn't in regards to religion. On that note, to give a better understanding of the world around us and other people's beliefs religion, as a whole, should be studied in school but not seen as one religion being right or wrong over any other.
Studied...yes...taught prayers under the disguise of a handwriting excersize...NO!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,616,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Studied...yes...taught prayers under the disguise of a handwriting excersize...NO!
I have to agree with you on this one, Jazzed. Studying a religion is fine, but I think copying prayers down, to practice handwriting, is pushing it too far. And, it doesn't matter who's religion we're talking about. I suspect that Muslims would not appreciate it, if their children were made to write down Christian prayers. As a matter of fact, I wonder whether or not Muslims would consider it downright offensive that non-Muslims were writing down their prayers, in the first place. Now, I'm just guessing on that, of course. But, either way, it should not be done!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,468,876 times
What is RE? It says the children were learning about Islam in RE. I would have to know more.

Dawn

Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 564,818 times
I don't see how this is any different than requiring students to say the pledge of allegiance (which includes a reference to god).

Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 AM

356 posts, read 1,128,165 times
I also don't see the difference. My son (in second grade) had to memorize a poem which started, "Oh, Africa let freedom reign, Oh, Africa let freedom reign. Bring down a storm on the white man's home. Let him know that God IS watching all." This is public school. My husband and I were insenced!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,655,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I don't see how this is any different than requiring students to say the pledge of allegiance (which includes a reference to god).
Agreed. Tit for tat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam