Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

I am of a belief that it is not right to force ones belief on another, whether it be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or any of the many organized religions.Why would you want to force that belief on someone who does not want it, it would not become their belief. For someone to believe in any particular religion, they first have to want to believe in it. Each of us have our own life journey to travel and we are the only one that can travel on that path and only if that path feels right within us can we travel it and know that it is true. This is the way of the native people of this land, to us all beliefs are kept within us and private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
It's because some consider it to be one of God's commandments to go out and spread the word. They're not doing it solely out of concern for you.

If people are being really pushy about it, I'd advise you to not so kindly turn them down. Of course some people may think they're on to something if they can manage to invoke a negative emotional reaction from you

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Why do evangelicals, and muslims, and others try to "save" me when i say no? What is it with these people who think they know BETTER THAN ME, about my soul. Why must they push their ideas after they are told NO?

Some people truly need to learn respect! If I am out and doing things, don't come to my car window and hand me literature, dont bother me on street corners, dont call me on the phone (yes the jews for jesus cult did call me!) - learn to live and let live

Now keep in mind I am a poster on this board, so if I make a thread, or answer a thread yes I expect debate, so of course i understand it here, but out in the real world? Please get out of my face, IF I WAS INTERESTED IN YOUR THING I WOULD COME TO YOU.
Because, you're not SAVED yet, silly goose. You're still potential saving material as long as you've still got a pulse.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM

330 posts, read 599,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Because, you're not SAVED yet, silly goose. You're still potential saving material as long as you've still got a pulse.
I don't need to be "saved"...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 AM

330 posts, read 599,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I am of a belief that it is not right to force ones belief on another, whether it be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or any of the many organized religions.Why would you want to force that belief on someone who does not want it, it would not become their belief. For someone to believe in any particular religion, they first have to want to believe in it. Each of us have our own life journey to travel and we are the only one that can travel on that path and only if that path feels right within us can we travel it and know that it is true. This is the way of the native people of this land, to us all beliefs are kept within us and private.
super cool!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Why do evangelicals, and muslims, and others try to "save" me when i say no? What is it with these people who think they know BETTER THAN ME, about my soul. Why must they push their ideas after they are told NO?

Some people truly need to learn respect! If I am out and doing things, don't come to my car window and hand me literature, dont bother me on street corners, dont call me on the phone (yes the jews for jesus cult did call me!) - learn to live and let live

Now keep in mind I am a poster on this board, so if I make a thread, or answer a thread yes I expect debate, so of course i understand it here, but out in the real world? Please get out of my face, IF I WAS INTERESTED IN YOUR THING I WOULD COME TO YOU.

would you like ME to try to save you, by trying to push Masorti Judaism on you?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:

But you see, I don't think you CAN force your beliefs on others without the others' permission to do so. The word "NO" is a very effective qualifier, actually.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:04 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
This is my view, as well (although I am not one of the native people of this land). Enough damage has been done over millennia by people trying to force others to believe as they do. There is nothing spiritual about that at all.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
But you see, I don't think you CAN force your beliefs on others without the others' permission to do so. The word "NO" is a very effective qualifier, actually.
It isn't the possibility of succeeding that bothers them . . . that is unlikely. It is the TRYING that annoys.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It isn't the possibility of succeeding that bothers them . . . that is unlikely. It is the TRYING that annoys.
Yes the TRYING can be very trying.

The problem is that us theists tend to forget that what we find to be beautiful can be very obnoxious to a person who does not believe as we do. Too many people who attempt to proselytize their beliefs often fail miserable in the area of good manners and respect for others.

It is possible to speak to anybody about anything, but first you have to be certain the person is receptive and willing to listen. If not it is an infringement and a waste of time.

Not long ago I along with some Lakotah
Friends got trapped into attending a Fundamentalist Pentacostal type "calling". We thought we were going to a small business seminar. did we get fooled. As soon as we got to the Civic Center we became a captive audience. The bait was that we had to listen to a brief lecture prior to the seminar started.

I hope I never do anything like that to anybody. I am always willing and more than happy to speak to anybody about my Religion, but I hope I only do so to those who have a desire to hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam