Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I use farts as punctuation while praying.
You're the farting preacher I've seen on youtube, aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
why do you put SAWS after mahamads name. why do you say peace be upon him after saying his name? is it something of tradition or does god get angry with you, or do you just do it because every muslim does it? what happens if you dont do it? is it in the koran to do such a thing. i just wonder becasue as a christian i see christians doing many things that have no support by God or by the bible. Usually it is tradition. Just curious

Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM

70 posts, read 88,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
why do you put SAWS after mahamads name. why do you say peace be upon him after saying his name? is it something of tradition or does god get angry with you, or do you just do it because every muslim does it? what happens if you dont do it? is it in the koran to do such a thing. i just wonder becasue as a christian i see christians doing many things that have no support by God or by the bible. Usually it is tradition. Just curious
S.A.W. is the abbreviation for the Arabic phrase salla Allahu alaihi wa-sallam. It means "may Allah pray for him and salute him," and is a respectful phrase also we say after all the prophets peace be upon them Western Muslims who speak English often use the abbreviation "P.B.U.H" instead of "S.A.W." - PBUH stands for "Peace Be Upon Him."

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkarloveALLAHmo View Post
S.A.W. is the abbreviation for the Arabic phrase salla Allahu alaihi wa-sallam. It means "may Allah pray for him and salute him," and is a respectful phrase also we say after all the prophets peace be upon them Western Muslims who speak English often use the abbreviation "P.B.U.H" instead of "S.A.W." - PBUH stands for "Peace Be Upon Him."

S.A.W. would work well with an office just for ME.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Is it true that muhammed taught that if I pass wind while praying that God won't hear my prayer?
First you need to understand what is meant by Salah what gets translated as Prayer. Actually Salah is closer to what you would call a worship service or Mass. that is what we are to do 5 times daily. since we know the times ahead of time, we should know if we are feeling gases at that time. If so it is best to avoid the prayer and make it up at another time. there are very obvious reasons we do not perform salah if we are feeling gaseous.

Prayer in the Christian concept of prayer is what we call Du'a. We can do and are encourged to do so at any and everytime possible. We should begin and end every thing we do with a du'a no matter how small and insignificant an act it may be. We look upon each thing we do, say or think as a prayer and as such we frequently offer Du'as of gratitude and praise. there are no special time, criteria or restrictions for Du'a praying except we should do so in the cleanest place available.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkarloveALLAHmo View Post
what if a muslim does not say it whenever they mention his name? will he be looked at differently, will someone tell him he should say it?
What about muslims who do not go to the church or pray 5 times a week, are they really muslims or are they just titled muslims but are not really muslims.
I am wondering just to see if it is like christianity, if a person says they are christian and dont pray or read the bible, most church goers look at them as not real christians. i just want to know if it is the same for the muslims. thanks for answering the questions.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
what if a muslim does not say it whenever they mention his name? will he be looked at differently, will someone tell him he should say it?
What about muslims who do not go to the church or pray 5 times a week, are they really muslims or are they just titled muslims but are not really muslims.
I am wondering just to see if it is like christianity, if a person says they are christian and dont pray or read the bible, most church goers look at them as not real christians. i just want to know if it is the same for the muslims. thanks for answering the questions.
If we fail to put the letter SWT after Allaah the world is not going to end, it will not condemn us to Hell, probably no one will even notice. However, it is a sign of respect and a Title. We do so because we want to, not because we have to. It also avoids confusion Muhammad for example is now the most common given name in the world. Nearly ever Muslim has the name Muhammad in his name along with some non-Muslims. If I say Muhammad(PBUH) there is no doubt who I am speaking about. If I say Allaah(swt) with out the letters it sounds like Al-Lah which means the highest or furthest point.

Only Muslim men who have attained the age of reason,are under obligation to go to prayer in the Mosque. That obligation is for the Jummah Prayer on Friday which lasts about 15-20 minutes. However we all should desire to go to the nearest Mosque for every prayer. While we can say our 5 Daily Prayers at home or elsewhere in any clean spot, it is much easier to say them when in company with others. Also a lot easier as you don't have to worry about the cleanliness, if you are saying the proper number of Rakkats and can listen instead of stumbling over the words. Plus the majority of us enjoy going to the Mosque for prayer.

If you are in a predominately Muslim Nation you will find many simply say the prayers where they are at prayer time as they may not have time to get to the Mosque. The times for the prayers do differ from day to day and the time is actually a time range within which one says them. For example the Fajr prayer in the morning can be said from anytime it is light enough to distinguish a white thread from a black thread up to the time the edge of the sun is seen on the horizon. It can be difficult to plan ahead of time. However, if you are in an Islamic nation the Muezzin at each Mosque will call out the Adhan about 5 minutes before the prayer begins.

We do find a high level of relaxation and serenity when we say the prayers in the company of others. As for how we look at those who do not say the 5 prayers, we have no way of knowing if a person does or does not or if they have or have not a valid reason for not saying them. We can not know if a person is not praying because we do not see them in the Mosque, they could very well be doing so at home or elsewhere.

We are not to accuse anyone of not being Muslim if they say they are Muslim. Although we are obligated to correct them if we know they are doing something unIslamic.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
First you need to understand what is meant by Salah what gets translated as Prayer. Actually Salah is closer to what you would call a worship service or Mass. that is what we are to do 5 times daily. since we know the times ahead of time, we should know if we are feeling gases at that time. If so it is best to avoid the prayer and make it up at another time. there are very obvious reasons we do not perform salah if we are feeling gaseous.

Prayer in the Christian concept of prayer is what we call Du'a. We can do and are encourged to do so at any and everytime possible. We should begin and end every thing we do with a du'a no matter how small and insignificant an act it may be. We look upon each thing we do, say or think as a prayer and as such we frequently offer Du'as of gratitude and praise. there are no special time, criteria or restrictions for Du'a praying except we should do so in the cleanest place available.
Well...that's interesting.......

Tell me......what is the deal with muhammed saying Satan peed in a guy's ear?

"He is a man in whose ears (or ear) Satan had urinated." Volume 4, Book 54, Number 492:

Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Well...that's interesting.......

Tell me......what is the deal with muhammed saying Satan peed in a guy's ear?

"He is a man in whose ears (or ear) Satan had urinated." Volume 4, Book 54, Number 492:
The full Hadith

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 492:
Narrated 'Abdullah:
It was mentioned before the Prophet that there was a man who slept the night till morning (after sunrise). The Prophet said, "He is a man in whose ears (or ear) Satan had urinated."

While it is an authenticate Hadith and is traced back to having been heard by 'Abdullah. It does not have a high level of reliability as there is only the one witness (Abdullah)and we do not know the context this was taken. The Tafsir I have read regarding this is Muhammad was chiding a man for over sleeping and not hearing the Adhan. But we really can not say with certainty those were the exact words Muhammad(PBUH) used or know the reason he said them. Should also mention (Satan) Shaytan does not equal the English concept. Any sapient being can be a Shaytan. The shaytan(Satan) in this case could mean an evil man or Djinn.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The full Hadith

Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 492:
Narrated 'Abdullah:
It was mentioned before the Prophet that there was a man who slept the night till morning (after sunrise). The Prophet said, "He is a man in whose ears (or ear) Satan had urinated."

While it is an authenticate Hadith and is traced back to having been heard by 'Abdullah. It does not have a high level of reliability as there is only the one witness (Abdullah)and we do not know the context this was taken. The Tafsir I have read regarding this is Muhammad was chiding a man for over sleeping and not hearing the Adhan. But we really can not say with certainty those were the exact words Muhammad(PBUH) used or know the reason he said them.

so you don't have faith in the Hadith as being accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam