Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
.... It comes in chemicals, foods, and many other things. ....
This is why many people eat kosher food and use kosher products. They know the items with the OU mark is not going to have these items in them. And for the same reason I only buy Hahal meat (as there is no kosher butcher for 100's of miles). The closest thing I found one time for fast food was a place called Kosher King, but thats the closest I've ever been in the US for a burger and fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM

72 posts, read 110,669 times
Why do people do this? Scare tactics without any substance. No source, no paper, no facts, just childish voodoo claims. Horrible.
I just ask myself how and why, if pork is so bad, the 4/5th of this planet that is not Muslim has survived the last 1000 years.

And today there is practically no way you can avoid pork or even alcohol anyway.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Christians do not keep Kosher/Halal (No dietary law)

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Christians do not keep Kosher/Halal (No dietary law)
What about shrimps and all the "unclean" animals?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopSpamming View Post
Why do people do this? Scare tactics without any substance. No source, no paper, no facts, just childish voodoo claims. Horrible.
I just ask myself how and why, if pork is so bad, the 4/5th of this planet that is not Muslim has survived the last 1000 years.

And today there is practically no way you can avoid pork or even alcohol anyway.
It is not just Muslims that do not eat pork, Neither do Jews, Sabians, Some Christians, Hindus, and all Vegetarians.

As far as eating pork for Muslims is is not an issue of health it is an issue of obedience, we are forbidden to knowingly eat it and that is the reason we do not eat it. If we were to unkowingly or unintentionally eat pork it is not going to harm us.

As far as avoiding eating pork and drinking Alcohol I have no problem doing so here in North Dakota. While it is true both are common and present in nearly every place I go, I have no difficulty in not eating or drinking either.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Whether other groups are equally inclined does not influence my view or opinion on the behaviour of Muslims. Why should it?

What I object to
1. the dogmatic "obedience" of an ancient, superstitious belief based in a hot, arid country in a different era
2. the futile attempt to enforce this in today's environment when almost everything contains pork anyway
3. an unsubstantiated, dangerous posting of an opinion based on belief and superstition, not facts, which can cost lives

As a result, innocent babies die - due to the bigoted belief of the parents.

As you quite rightly point out: unknowing intake will do nothing spiritually. But why go through with the pretence of avoiding something harmful, when it has been shown not be harmful anyway? Why not go and interpret it allegorically and say: don't eat what is bad for you? Instead we have lunatics making the claims the OP copy/pastes in here without checking or confirming anything. Sad!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Whether other groups are equally inclined does not influence my view or opinion on the behaviour of Muslims. Why should it?

What I object to
1. the dogmatic "obedience" of an ancient, superstitious belief based in a hot, arid country in a different era
2. the futile attempt to enforce this in today's environment when almost everything contains pork anyway
3. an unsubstantiated, dangerous posting of an opinion based on belief and superstition, not facts, which can cost lives

As a result, innocent babies die - due to the bigoted belief of the parents.

As you quite rightly point out: unknowing intake will do nothing spiritually. But why go through with the pretence of avoiding something harmful, when it has been shown not be harmful anyway? Why not go and interpret it allegorically and say: don't eat what is bad for you? Instead we have lunatics making the claims the OP copy/pastes in here without checking or confirming anything. Sad!
What makes you so certain the OP is Muslim? We are not the only ones who avoid pork. However I do agree with you about the scare tactics. Many of us Muslims do not avoid pork because we believe it to be unhealthy, we avoid it because we are forbidden to eat it. The OP should have been more specific and offered verification about the health dangers.

There is also another factor, all meat we eat has to be slaughtered in the Halal manner, it is virtually impossible to slaughter a pig in such a manner. So even if a pig were the healthiest of foods we still would not be able to eat pork.

The harm in eating pork is not because the meat is dangerous, it is because we sin by going against the command of Allaah(swt), forbidding us to eat it.

As far as this claim of yours that "almost everything contains pork" can you offer some verification of that? Keep in mind most of us have no issues over pigs except when it comes to consuming them.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
What makes you so certain the OP is Muslim? We are not the only ones who avoid pork.
Did I say the OP is a Muslim? I was referring to your reply that other groups also refrain from eating certain things due to religious beliefs. Which is why I said I am not interested whether others do this as I am addressing Muslims only here.

Quote:
The harm in eating pork is not because the meat is dangerous, it is because we sin by going against the command of Allaah(swt), forbidding us to eat it.
I agree and that is the crux of the matter. The result is that people frantically search for reasons to substantiate their faith in a book, when rationality, reason and research shows there is no factual argument for the avoidance of pork. That's why you then get the raving lunatics who come up with the paragraphs quoted in the OP.

As for the methodology of the killing process, I think there is no argument in 2012 due to several studies into this.

Quote:
As far as this claim of yours that "almost everything contains pork" can you offer some verification of that? Keep in mind most of us have no issues over pigs except when it comes to consuming them.
Oh sure, though I am surprised because I would have thought people first research and then reject. For example there is a book called Pig 05049, which shows something like 185 products all containing some shape or form of a pig. So whether you smoke, eat bread, wash or drive a car it is possible that you are in touch with pork by-products. A nice summary I found here: From bullets to bread and beer, tambourines to toothpaste...all of that plus another 180 other things to do with a pig | Mail Online

Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Did I say the OP is a Muslim? I was referring to your reply that other groups also refrain from eating certain things due to religious beliefs. Which is why I said I am not interested whether others do this as I am addressing Muslims only here.

I agree and that is the crux of the matter. The result is that people frantically search for reasons to substantiate their faith in a book, when rationality, reason and research shows there is no factual argument for the avoidance of pork. That's why you then get the raving lunatics who come up with the paragraphs quoted in the OP.

As for the methodology of the killing process, I think there is no argument in 2012 due to several studies into this.

Oh sure, though I am surprised because I would have thought people first research and then reject. For example there is a book called Pig 05049, which shows something like 185 products all containing some shape or form of a pig. So whether you smoke, eat bread, wash or drive a car it is possible that you are in touch with pork by-products. A nice summary I found here: From bullets to bread and beer, tambourines to toothpaste...all of that plus another 180 other things to do with a pig | Mail Online
Most of which are not food products eaten by us. We are not forbidden to use pork or alcohol products in things that are not ingested. We can and do use many products that are not consumed. Even in the time of Muhammad(PBUH} pig bristles were used to sew clothing.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Most of which are not food products eaten by us.
Bread, toothpaste, ice cream, butter, pills, yoghurt are products not eaten by "you", whoever "you" is?

Quote:
We are not forbidden to use pork or alcohol products in things that are not ingested. We can and do use many products that are not consumed. Even in the time of Muhammad(PBUH} pig bristles were used to sew clothing.
OK, then that's good news.

I have had Muslims not carry or come near anything that has had alcohol in it. So I can tell them to get real and stop whining as it has nothing to do with Islam or religion and is just personal idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam