Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:05 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times

Advertisements

This message doesn't seem to be getting across. This is an excerpt from the Islam forum rules:
"The is not the place to post derogatory remarks about Islam, the Qur'an, or any Muslim. This forum exists for discussion about Islam and for people to ask questions about Islam. Posts that generalize blame of Muslims for terrorism or violence, even in veiled terms, will earn the member an infraction that could be as severe as being banned, even on a first offense. This will be at the judgement of the moderators."

Old 05-12-2020, 03:20 PM

20 posts, read 12,380 times
If the Qur'an contains passages that some might consider offensive, why should they not be discussed?

Let me give you one example:

Verse 98:6 says, "Indeed, they who disbelieved among the People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and the polytheists will be in the fire of Hell, abiding eternally therein. Those are the worst of creatures".

I find calling others "the worst of creatures" just because they refuse to accept Islam to be highly offensive. Don't you? And if not, why not? I'm not making anything up. I'm just quoting scripture. If the Qur'an, and therefore Islam, calls people names, it should be held to account. If I ever use words like 'Muzzie', or blame all Muslims for anything, then yes, boot me off. But, if I stick to specific, fact-based questioning, then I believe I'm on firm ground.

The difference between 'derogatory remarks' and 'hard questions' is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Are you a Muslim wanting to discuss aspects of your religion with other adherents? Are you a new revert that needs to learn the details of the religion? Are you interested in becoming a Muslim and need to learn what that involves? There are perhaps 3 or 4 devout Muslims that frequent this forum since Woodrow LI died. They seem to answer questions about their religion, but their experiences can't even cover the five primary divisions within the world of Islam. They will tell you that nobody speaks for all of Islam, so it is not possible to hold Islam to account for anything.

Your ground isn't as firm as you seem to think it is.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM

I see you are a Muslim. The "revert" gave it away. No to all of the above. I came here to ask questions and challenge what I consider to be untruthful statements about what Islam (the Qur'an) says and the actions of the first Muslims. My only sources will be the Qur'an and history. If that's not allowed, then tell me now please.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch49 View Post
I see you are a Muslim. The "revert" gave it away. No to all of the above. I came here to ask questions and challenge what I consider to be untruthful statements about what Islam (the Qur'an) says and the actions of the first Muslims. My only sources will be the Qur'an and history. If that's not allowed, then tell me now please.
I am not. I an a moderator. There is nobody here for you to challenge. That is an exercise in futility. There are a few Muslims that will answer sincere questions. It sounds like yours don't qualify. None of the regulars have any authority. They simply post things using their own opinions and views. You shouldn't push your luck here.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 PM

If you go back to the OP, it was a Muslim who posted the question. He then gave his opinion that the answer was 'no', and then included a quote from the Qur'an.

Are you really telling me that an opinion forum does not allow for dissent? Cuz it sure sounds like that.

Bottom line - why can he have an opinion and I can't?

Old 10-09-2020, 10:13 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,086 times
mbplee,

You are not qualified to say all that about Islam because you either haven't read The Qur'an to understand the full tenets of Islam or read it but did not bother to understand the full tenets of Islam..

Old 10-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
mbplee,

You are not qualified to say all that about Islam because you either haven't read The Qur'an to understand the full tenets of Islam or read it but did not bother to understand the full tenets of Islam.
Using the same logic, anyone who judges Islam, without reading The Qur'an and understanding the full tenets of Islam, is either a bigot or guided by his/her prejudices.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 PM

106 posts, read 64,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
mbplee,

You are not qualified to say all that about Islam because you either haven't read The Qur'an to understand the full tenets of Islam or read it but did not bother to understand the full tenets of Islam..
Most people, Muslims included, do not know the correct way to read the Qur'an to learn what can be learned from it.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasureoktoo View Post
Most people, Muslims included, do not know the correct way to read the Qur'an to learn what can be learned from it.
Most people learn from the Qur'an not by reading it but by understanding it.

Had it been from only reading it, only the Arab would have learnt something from the Qur'an.

[38.29] (It is) a Book We have revealed to you abounding in good that they may ponder over its verses, and that those endowed with understanding may be mindful.

Just reading it is not enough but understanding and reflecting over the verses is more important to learn lessons from it. One can learn what is said in each verse without being able to read Arabic. There are so many translation even on the internet to find out what is said in each verse. Reflecting or pondering over what is said in each verse is vital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam