Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,898 times

Advertisements

Islamic calligraphy is the most exquisite calligraphy in the world in my view. Also, Islamic geometric art is splendid as well.

Here is a website providing an essay on a short history of Islam--I guess in relation to its artistic movements. A fabulous thing about the essay is neither the Crusaders or the West feature predominately in the body of the essay. Tamerlane and the Mongols are given more extensive discussion than the Crusaders or West.

Which reminded me of a history book of Eastern Christianity I read authored by someone from the Russian Orthodox Church. Almost the whole book discussed landscapes and a cast of characters that Western authors and Western Christians never mention. In fact his book gave more extensive discussion to the Mongols than to Western Christians or Crusaders.

Anyways... anyone know if prayers are involved when the author composes a work of calligraphy? Also, is it true that the geometric patterns in Islamic art are used to signify the the eternal nature of God?

Introduction to Islamic Art

Quote:
Islamic art is perhaps the most accessible manifestation of a complex civilization that often seems enigmatic to outsiders. Through its brilliant use of color and its superb balance between design and form, Islamic art creates an immediate visual impact. Its strong aesthetic appeal transcends distances in time and space, as well as differences in language, culture, and creed. Islamic art not only invites a closer look but also beckons the viewer to learn more. For an American audience a visit to the Islamic galleries of a museum such as the Los Angeles County Museum of Art can represent the first step toward penetrating the history of a religion and a culture that are often in the news but are little understood.
Quote:
Calligraphy is the most important and pervasive element in Islamic art. It has always been considered the noblest form of art because of its association with the Qur’an, the Muslim holy book, which is written in Arabic. This preoccupation with beautiful writing extended to all arts—including secular manuscripts; inscriptions on palaces; and those applied to metalwork, pottery, stone, glass, wood, and textiles—and to non-Arabic-speaking peoples within the Islamic commonwealth whose languages—such as Persian, Turkish, and Urdu—were written in the Arabic script.

Another characteristic of Islamic art is a preference for covering surfaces with patterns composed of geometric or vegetal elements. Complex geometric designs, as well as intricate patterns of vegetal ornament (such as the arabesque), create the impression of unending repetition, which is believed by some to be an inducement to contemplate the infinite nature of God.
Assalamu Alaykum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Much of Islamic Calligraphy is composed of ayyats from the Qur'an, the Bismillah and the Shahadah.

The Bismillah) is probably the most written phrase on Earth and understandable by virtually every Muslim.

The Beauty of the various forms give tribute to the words and the frequency we see them is a reminder that we begin every thought and action with the words

"Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem" (In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the most merciful)

Some commonly seen forms

Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Some of those are just incredibly beautiful. I especially like these ones:

^This one looks like a columns of soldiers with spears or spikes aimed/carried upward, and very front with two scimitars. Yet, it almost reminds you of a sea going vessel or waves in the back.

These I like too:

That last one on the bottom right looks to be a ship made out of words.

So, the Bismillah is this statement: In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the most merciful?

And that what all those images above say?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Some of those are just incredibly beautiful. I especially like these ones:

^This one looks like a columns of soldiers with spears or spikes aimed/carried upward, and very front with two scimitars. Yet, it almost reminds you of a sea going vessel or waves in the back.

These I like too:

That last one on the bottom right looks to be a ship made out of words.

So, the Bismillah is this statement: In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the most merciful?

And that what all those images above say?
Yes each of those images are the words Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem (In the name 0f Allah, the beneficent, the most merciful.

We say those words before starting anything, any word, thought or action. We view each thing we do, say or think as being a prayer and those words serve to remind us Allah knows all things we do say or even think.

Here it is written out in what corresponds to English block printing, and the individual letters are recognizable. Reading from Right to left you may be able to recognize each letter in the images.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Not too shabby. I see the wide spread use of blue throughout the interior. I have read that green was Prophet Mohammad's favorite color and therefore has special place of honor in Islam, and that after green comes the color blue in its usage and place of preference in Islam.

Mesquita Foz do Iguaçu | Beautiful Mosques Gallery around the world

Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM

You may notice the limited use of any decorations inside the Mosque. That is very typical.

The best Calligraphy will be found on the exterior or in rooms that are not the Mosque proper. Also in Government buildings, Schools, Palaces etc.

Spain seems to be home of some of the Best Islamic Calligraphy

Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 AM

282 posts, read 298,019 times
Salam alekum brothers , thank you for your activity here may Allah reward you the best ( Paradise)

Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,408 times
Default calligraphy and wood carving

I combine the art of traditional wood carving and calligraphy. It's now become my living. Here is some of my works that all of you can check.

or just go to kaligrafiart.com to see my complete works
Best use for interior design.

Last edited by Rudisanjaya; 07-01-2014 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam