Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
You are incorrect
You have bought into the prejudicial framework of the definition.
(Domestic violence is not "unplanned" and honor killing is not "religious")

In some societies in the Far East, "Honor killing" means male suicide (boys and men)...that is why terms like femicide---while important, are still prejudicial. (In the East, there is a practice known as "saving face")
Japanese Suicide: The Growing Epidemic - Home
Not all male suicides are "honor killing"----but some could be categorized as such, which is why seeing the world in gender segregated terms is not always helpful.
Abuse of men by those in power and/or privilege---such as police---is not uncommon. There is much talk among the African American community of "being shot while black" ---by gun-carrying Americans....

In its most general framework---this is an issue about control and abuse of power and privilege.....
generally( and simplistically)....uneven distribution of power can cause abuses......
Fail

For the purposes of this conversation, we are not using deffinitions that apply to some societies.

We are speaking of a family losing imagined honor for a disgrace that befalls upon them, and yes, it is religiously motivated.

A simple google search will explain honor killing.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
You are incorrect
You have bought into the prejudicial framework of the definition.
(Domestic violence is not "unplanned" and honor killing is not "religious")

And your deffinitions are not in sync with reality.
Domestic violence is physical disputes between household members, usually husband and wife.
Anything can trigger them off, from mental and social problems, to bickering of spouse's.

For the most part they are spontaneous.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Interesting article on the origins of Islamism and the regression of the Muslim world.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/aly-salem-lets-talk-about-how-islam-has-been-hijacked-1414365802

Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM

When you consider the written text, the close compliance to the written text, the violence for the past 1400 years, according to the written text, it is not groups like ISIS who hijacked the religion, they are just following in the footsteps of muhammed, emulating what he did.
No, it is the peaceful muslims who hijacked the religion, " Jihad is compulsory", and that is a good thing, but they are not getting rid or the ones who actually follow it.

They are not re- writing the text to eliminate the evil forces, and even if they did, nobody would listen.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 AM

116 posts, read 87,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Domestic violence is physical disputes between household members, usually husband and wife.
Anything can trigger them off, from mental and social problems, to bickering of spouse's.

my apologies---You are correct. I meant to write domestic violence murder but forgot the "murder" part.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:

I was listening to NPR this morning and they were doing a story on acid attacks in Pakistan. These attacks seem to be at an all time high there. One woman said she had acid thrown on her face by her husband while her mother in law held her by her throat. The woman's kids were in the room watching. They did this because the husband's parents were mad that they did not receive a fair dowry for her. She was left without medical treatment for 10 days.

Now would this be considered a domestic violence case? I have read many of these attacks on women are due to religious fundamentalism in that country.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I was listening to NPR this morning and they were doing a story on acid attacks in Pakistan. These attacks seem to be at an all time high there. One woman said she had acid thrown on her face by her husband while her mother in law held her by her throat. The woman's kids were in the room watching. They did this because the husband's parents were mad that they did not receive a fair dowry for her. She was left without medical treatment for 10 days.

Now would this be considered a domestic violence case? I have read many of these attacks on women are due to religious fundamentalism in that country.
According to our laws, neither, it is an assault and battery..

The particular one you spoke of would probably be domestic violence, because it was enacted by family members. It is just plain sick, and an indication these people need to evolve, but they cannot.

There seems to be a lot of this crap going on.
Many of these women are married off in pre-made situations by the families, and many are arranged rapes, to make the woman damaged goods, so she is forced to marry the attacker.

Just an example of the degradation of women in Islamic societies.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Women are basically non-people, with little of no rights, and many passages in the doctrine go into detail of how they are worthless, totally dependant on their husbands.
There voice is not heard in the legal system, they cannot walk the streets alone, have to remain covered up.

It is the religious doctrine that sets the rules, and the imagination of the men, just how far they can go to enforce God'a will.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Women are basically non-people, with little of no rights, and many passages in the doctrine go into detail of how they are worthless, totally dependant on their husbands.
There voice is not heard in the legal system, they cannot walk the streets alone, have to remain covered up.

It is the religious doctrine that sets the rules, and the imagination of the men, just how far they can go to enforce God'a will.
I have always heard that Islam teaches to respect and take care of women. I heard it is actually more female friendly than Christianity. I know very little about Islam so I don't know what is true.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I have always heard that Islam teaches to respect and take care of women. I heard it is actually more female friendly than Christianity. I know very little about Islam so I don't know what is true.

Tabari IX:113 "Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

"A Woman may be likened to a sheep—even a cow or a camel—for all are ridden.” (Tafsir al-Qurtubi vol.15, p.172)

Sunan Dawud book 11, 2141 [after first forbidding wife beating, Muhammad changes his mind] "...Do not beat Allah's handmaidens, but when Umar came to the Apostle of Allah and said 'Women have become emboldened towards their husbands', the Prophet gave permission to beat them.

" Dawud 2142 "Narrated Umar ibn al-KhattabThe Prophet said, “A man will not be asked as to why he beat his wife."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam