Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,022,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No thank you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/23/wo...ritain.html?hp

A British network of more than 40 part-time Islamic schools and clubs with 5,000 students has been teaching from a Saudi Arabian government curriculum that contains anti-Semitic and homophobic views, including a textbook that asks children to list the “reprehensible” qualities of Jews, according to a BBC documentary broadcast on Monday.

I find anti-Semitism and homophobia not very modern at all.

I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times
I have to say that, even before the trouble in the middle east and Bin Laden's odd Jihad against the US for daring to set fot on Saudi soil, though I admired a lot of Islamic artwork and respected the purity of its monotheism as compared to the Catholic clutter of thriune gods, demigods and saints, I found it the least appealing of all the major religions.

I fully agree that many - perhaps most - muslims are perfectly reasonable persons but it really is despite their religin, not because of it.

That religion can be pushed and the resonable can be told that they are not good muslims unless they follow the teachings to the letter.

To those Muslim ladies who say how happy they are with it, I suggest that they try - just for a week or so - to pull away and diverge from the party line and see what happens.

If the reasonable majority would use their clout and stomp on the extremists Fundies pushing their harsh and primitive Saudi branch of Islam, there would be less trouble. I don't deny that the west is much responsible for giving the muslims a hard time and the idiot Bush and that liar Blair didn't help with their illegal war on Iraq.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

To those Muslim ladies who say how happy they are with it, I suggest that they try - just for a week or so - to pull away and diverge from the party line and see what happens.

That could be risky.

Acid thrown in muslim women's faces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6uRwwnFH0

Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 AM

478 posts, read 769,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salma12006 View Post
I saw a lot of responses, but they were mostly to Islam in general; for those of you who read the subject matter in the provided link, I'd love to hear some thoughts on the content. Because to me- it was utterly disturbing, not to mention ridiculous, and immaturely written. No offense- but that's my perception.

First of all, within the first several lines and paragraphs were the words "control", "limits", and "restriction". However, since I immediately thought that I must be too eager to find fault and simply isolated the aforementioned words out, I read on, and fully. But no, that's pretty much the gist of it all. And all under the guise of "oh you shouldn't be so foolish and sheepish to be controlled like AMERICANS are, by such shallowness like the media, and societal "ills"...you should just BE, without such "restrictions/limits...and you can be it all, and have it all if you worship ALLAH". As if to imply doing so, even by the skeleton of 'rules' given here, is anything remotely natural or comfortable to any degree to anyone whose ethics lie within regard for respect for, and of other human beings- not to mention simply being true to yourself as a healthy human being. The implications and innuendos came off as utter rubbish.

And dare I even bring up the fact that there was an attempt to make a linear example out of how "we Americans restrict our drug use at 'raves'?!? SERIOUSLY?!? If that was a joke, or meant to simply insult the lack of culture and coiff that some young Americans have- well good job. I'm the first to say I don't approve of how a good portion of people in my society here in the US think and behave. But to dare use that as a means to imply that anyone with a lick of sense regards "limitations" as the essay did, that's nothing less than rude, and insulting. Not to mention a very jaded, and interpretive "rant", and nothing more, about what the actual quoran states. Much like so many people misinterpret the bible- here's a great example of someone reading into and interjecting their own disturbed thoughts about another "holy book". No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is NOTHING modern about Islam. It is a barbaric cultural deen that afflicts and challenges modern societies with its barbaric Sharia Laws, practices and ambitions (Total submission to Allah of all nations of the world).
Agreed. And I'm speaking with regard to this specific essay that the OP post provided. I *do* happen to know, and be close friends with some people who believe in Islam and, while I still disagree with a good deal of what they believe, they certainly do not preach in the manner that this rant illustrates. So to those who DO like this essay- I'd love to hear why, because I can't see anything positive- and certainly nothing MODERN about it whatsoever. These thoughts, if to be considered the ideals of the Quran- they belong right along with a good lot of the old testament and the bible in general, which itself belongs right next to Grimm's Fairy tales. And if there is any question as to the consistent and running theme that is obvious and quite prevalent within all three of the above collections, then perhaps some more reading and investigation would help, and any one of these collections would be as good as any a place to start....

Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,152,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salma12006 View Post
The modern alternative, is when human life and dignity is more valuable then some set of ideas from a pedophile warlord.
I'm sick of people making excuses for this horrible religion. ISLAM SUPPORTS UNEQUAL RIGHTS, WIFE BEATING AND THE MURDER AND TORTURE OF MANY PEOPLE.
Anyone who supports such a religion, should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM

63,387 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The modern alternative, is when human life and dignity is more valuable then some set of ideas from a pedophile warlord.
I'm sick of people making excuses for this horrible religion. ISLAM SUPPORTS UNEQUAL RIGHTS, WIFE BEATING AND THE MURDER AND TORTURE OF MANY PEOPLE.
Anyone who supports such a religion, should be ashamed of themselves.
Hard to add anything to that accurate description of barbarity . . .

Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I take your point. I was thinking in terms of making an intellectual point, but it could have unpleasant repercussions if anyone actually tried it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 PM

271 posts, read 353,778 times
I would be extremely happy if anyone trying hard to deceive lay people, would prove that God ordered his slaves to throw acids on muslim's women faces

Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM

33,495 posts, read 36,974,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
I would be extremely happy if anyone trying hard to deceive lay people, would prove that God ordered his slaves to throw acids on muslim's women faces
It doesn't matter if your god ordered it or not, it is not an unusual occurrence among Muslims...It boils down to how Islam devalues women as nothing more than chattel.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,829,443 times
I heard too late we're screwed by the commercial, and that BF Skinner can tell us how to be alive for the next.... decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam