Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 AM

430 posts, read 481,156 times

Advertisements

With all the bad press....
With all those fatwas against suicide bombings...

Muslims are still joining ISIS.

WHY?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
A bigger question that should be answered is why do most recruits come from Non-Islamic Nations that have virtually no Islamic Teachings

Why does ISIS not recruit in the Islamic Nations were most people have a fair amount of Islamic knowledge?

A person living in a non-Islamic Nation is exposed to a very large amount of anti-Islamic rhetoric coming from the media, Christian Fundamentalists and anti Islam hate groups. Yet they are the source for the type of person ISIS wants to recruit.

FBI: ISIS message resonating with young people from U.S., West
FBI: ISIS message resonating with young people from U.S., West - CBS News

ISIS has little success in recruiting Muslims that live in an Islamic Nation and are well educated in the teachings of Islam.
ISIS is not interested in recruiting Muslims with an Islamic education. The recruits are coming from non-Islamic Nations.

Selling the 'Fantasy': Why Young Western Women Would Join ISIS
Selling the 'Fantasy': Why Young Women Would Join ISIS - ABC News

ISIS recruitment has not been very successful in the Islamic Nations where most people have knowledge of Islam and believe Islam is about peace. The recruits are coming from non-Islamic nations that give the message that Islam is violent and promotes terrorism.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
With all the bad press....
With all those fatwas against suicide bombings...

Muslims are still joining ISIS.

WHY?

The picture is a bit misleading.

There is no indication Dr, Nakata has joined ISIS he is still in Japan. He has not been charged with any crimes etc.
He reverted to Islam in 2007. He is acknowledged as a foremost scholar of Sharia law. Although he is still a fairly new revert.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A bigger question that should be answered is why do most recruits come from Non-Islamic Nations that have virtually no Islamic Teachings
Its obvious:

1. The religious muslim (especially if an extremist) would feel more at home in an islamic nation.

2. Many people in the west are experienced travelers from a young age and can afford a plane ride.

Quote:
Why does ISIS not recruit in the Islamic Nations were most people have a fair amount of Islamic knowledge?
most muslim countries are poor. getting your next meal is hard enough, much less a plane ticket!
so if you look at the stats its the neighboring muslim countries who are providing much of their manpower:

Foreign Fighters In Iraq And Syria -- Where Do They Come From?

from //www.city-data.com/forum/islam...l#post38838812
Quote:
Just my opinion but when I look at the very young converts to islam seeking to Join ISIS I get the feeling they used the anti-Islamic sites as a means of formulating their misguided concepts.
shouldnt it be the opposite? with Islam's terrible reputation a convert's first defense would be to argue that Islam isnt violent!

Last edited by sophion; 03-16-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Its obvious:

1. The religious muslim (especially if an extremist) would feel more at home in an islamic nation.

2. Many people in the west are experienced travelers from a young age and can afford a plane ride.
I've only lived in Islamic Nations as a Non-Muslim. But going by memory I see no reason to move from the USA as long as I am not prevented from following the 5 Pillars of Islam here. It would be difficult to uproot and move to a different culture and language. As the only Arabic Dialect I speak is the Darija of Morocco I would have to learn a whole ne language unless I moved to Morocco or Algeria.
I would enjoy living in Morocco again, but I see no reason too.

Quote:
most muslim countries are poor. getting your next meal is hard enough, much less a plane ticket!
so if you look at the stats its the neighboring muslim countries who are providing much of their manpower:

Foreign Fighters In Iraq And Syria -- Where Do They Come From?
The immediate neighboring nations have been engaged in civil wars for a number of years. ISIS developed as an offshoot of alQaeda in those nations. They were/are the nucleus of ISIS no recruitment was needed.The question will be how many remain part of ISIS.

There is indication that dissent is growing from withing, which will result in more recruitment from Western Nations.

How ISIS is fraying from within: Jihadists plagued with dissent, defections and setbacks
How ISIS is fraying from within: Jihadists plagued with dissent, defections and setbacks | National Post

Quote:
from //www.city-data.com/forum/islam...l#post38838812

shouldnt it be the opposite? with Islam's terrible reputation a convert's first defense would be to argue that Islam isnt violent!
Not every convert to Islam does so for the right reason. As there is no such thing as "Joining" Islam nor any form of Ceremony that makes a person a Muslim. It has become very popular for radicals to decide they are Muslims, especially if they are anti establishment and believe Islam is what is portrayed by the media and the anti-Islamic sites.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I've only lived in Islamic Nations as a Non-Muslim. But going by memory I see no reason to move from the USA as long as I am not prevented from following the 5 Pillars of Islam here. It would be difficult to uproot and move to a different culture and language. As the only Arabic Dialect I speak is the Darija of Morocco I would have to learn a whole ne language unless I moved to Morocco or Algeria.
I would enjoy living in Morocco again, but I see no reason too.
I heard that one of ISIS' appeal is the presence of muslims from every part of the world. every race is there. every language. for many muslims thats what muslim unity is all about. everyone would feel at home there, or so they say.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I heard that one of ISIS' appeal is the presence of muslims from every part of the world. every race is there. every language. for many muslims thats what muslim unity is all about. everyone would feel at home there, or so they say.
There is a lot of truth there
But it should be kept in mind that ISIS is recruiting potential "suicide bombers" they want the militants, radicals, angry anti-social people. They have created an atmosphere of comradeship for the type of person they want to recruit and there is much attraction for people to be among people with the same thoughts.

ISIS is not trying to recruit the average Muslim. They want the young impretionable, anti-establishment wannabe adventurist They have created an atmosphere that will be attractive to a combination John Wayne, Robin Hood, Bonnie & Clyde mentality.

The anti-Islamic hate sites are helping to assure that will be the person most attracted to ISIS. ISIS wants Islam to be what the hate sites portray Islam as being.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Another paradox is that Daesh look pretty ridiculous (putting beliefs to one side here). There's a comedic aspect to those shots of pompous marching. I guess many of those same weapons they hold aloft are made by 'infidels' - as are the pick up trucks they're enamored of.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
During the pagan worship times those who saw that the womans menstrual cycle matched the cycle of the moon they likened the moon to be a goddess. Isis was one such goddess. So I am not surprised that so many pagans are going over to them.
I am not fooled by the anagram bit.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Normally such people are what is considered grievance accumulators. Muslims are no different fro anyone else. I think one would wander same of now Germans became supporters of the Nazi's when it was a modern western country then. Why do young people join gangs; no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam