Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I am still amazed that non arabic speakers would try to comment on an a book written in classical arabic. You would not be able to differentiate between Quran and Al Jazira. Obviously you have no business talking on this topic.
A relevant link by Juju33312;
Classic Muslim Excuses (or Can the Quran Be Understood by non-Arabic Scholars?)
Quote:
Yes, there are good English translations, as you had referred mostly to
Pickthall. But I have to say that you cannot really come close to the meaning
of the corrent translation if you read it in English. Since the Quran has been
written in Arabic, it is best that you would understand it if you read it in
Arabic. Well, it doesnt end here, to contradict its really not just right to
take quotes from the Quran and comment on the incorrectness. The best and
correct way is to find someone who is basically a scholar and then ask him some
questions regarding your contradictions.
Personally, my view is a well-read person with eclectic interests [equipped with secular, religious and spiritual principles] can easily understand all major principles and doctrines in the Quran. There is nothing so special, mysterious and complex that a reasonable educated person can missed out from reading the Quran.

In addition, there it is obvious, it is not easy for a well read average Joe to understand all of Quantum Mechanics if s/he is not specialize in that subject. The average spiritual person will have problems understanding the PhD materials of the Eastern religions regardless of whether they are readers of the original texts or translated texts.

My point is;
It is not a question of reading the texts in original Arabic or any other original language in relation to a holy texts, i.e. be it Quran, Torah, Bible, Buddhist sutras, etc.
What is essential is the average intelligence [IQ] and wisdom [WQ] of the person plus his/her level of spiritual intelligence [SQ], and other relevant faculties, e.g. rationality, objectivity, critical thinking, problem solving skills, etc.

Muslim Islamic Scholar are inherently Bias;
Muslim Islamic Scholars has a vested interest to secure their existential threat, thus they will be most likely to be bias [confirmation bias, unattentive bias, innoculation theory {Woodrow mentioned this}, etc.] to ensure the Quran is interpreted to ease their psychological pains.

My question to Muslims is:
Assuming "we" are of people with average competency of knowledge with a wide range of knowledge;
If we rely on the various English translations of the Quran [after all most are from reputable scholars of Islam], what will we, non-Arabic readers, missed out?
What principles from the Quran will we missed out?
What is that we non-Arabic readers will not be able to understand in the Quran?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:46 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
This thread is redundant. The topic is already being discussed here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/islam...ent-allah.html

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam