Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 06:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Ok, what percentage of the population anywhere do you think is violent? Think about the prisons and the every day violence and ugliness that takes place.
It's a fair bet that there are a lot of criminals populating the insurgencies. There was the "Breaking the Walls" campaign of 2011-2013 by 'Al Qaeda' to free several thousand prisoners from prisons Iraq, Pakistan, Libya simultanously.

Prison breakouts in Iraq, Pakistan and Libya endanger Guantánamo closure | The Times

It's not the kind of multi-national operation that could be carried out by small independent terrorist cells.

In addition, there were reports that the Saudis were releasing prisoners to join the insurgency.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
There was a Muslim girl who I graduated college with in my major (very small major, very small private NYC school). She wore a hijab and other conservative dress. I never saw her feet, legs, or anything up above her hands and collarbone. Never saw her hair, obviously. Her parents are immigrants from Jordan, she was born there as well and lived there for some time before coming here, to New York. She lives in Brooklyn. She told one of my classes that her aunt "hates the US" but chose to recently have her baby here anyway. She is staunchly pro-Palestine and anti-Israel, and openly so. She is very critical of US foreign policy. I also knew her sister and some other Muslim girls who were friends with her and also very much like her. That's my experience with the college-aged "non-terrorist" Muslims. AKA, IMHO, she wasn't much better. So, she wasn't killing people - which is good obviously! But she wasn't exactly someone I'd want to associate with. She still had some pretty extreme views.

She wasn't a bad person. She could be very nice and genuine, but I did not like her opinions and found her to be at times alarming when she spoke. Not in a "I'm about to join ISIS" way but in a "I'm kind of anti-US although I live here and it's given me many opportunities like the freedom to speak my mind and the ability to go to a private college, and I probably shouldn't even be living here because I don't like it, I should probably move back to Jordan" way. I just didn't like it. Something felt off about her.

I think Muslims, especially if they are actually immigrants from Muslim-dominant countries, are often just fundamentally very different from people from Western countries. It isn't necessarily a problem or a bad thing (until it is because someone does something), but we clash I think. I don't think Western societies and Muslim ones mesh well at all at this time. And no, the extremism and terrorism doesn't help. No matter how many videos like this post, ISIS and other terror groups are still a legitimate threat and are causing a hell of a lot of turmoil in the world at the moment. No video will change that, or make people feel better about it.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:21 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There was a Muslim girl who I graduated college with in my major (very small major, very small private NYC school). She wore a hijab and other conservative dress. I never saw her feet, legs, or anything up above her hands and collarbone. Never saw her hair, obviously. Her parents are immigrants from Jordan, she was born there as well and lived there for some time before coming here, to New York. She lives in Brooklyn. She told one of my classes that her aunt "hates the US" but chose to recently have her baby here anyway. She is staunchly pro-Palestine and anti-Israel, and openly so. She is very critical of US foreign policy. I also knew her sister and some other Muslim girls who were friends with her and also very much like her. That's my experience with the college-aged "non-terrorist" Muslims. AKA, IMHO, she wasn't much better. So, she wasn't killing people - which is good obviously! But she wasn't exactly someone I'd want to associate with. She still had some pretty extreme views.

She wasn't a bad person. She could be very nice and genuine, but I did not like her opinions and found her to be at times alarming when she spoke. Not in a "I'm about to join ISIS" way but in a "I'm kind of anti-US although I live here and it's given me many opportunities like the freedom to speak my mind and the ability to go to a private college, and I probably shouldn't even be living here because I don't like it, I should probably move back to Jordan" way. I just didn't like it. Something felt off about her.

I think Muslims, especially if they are actually immigrants from Muslim-dominant countries, are often just fundamentally very different from people from Western countries. It isn't necessarily a problem or a bad thing (until it is because someone does something), but we clash I think. I don't think Western societies and Muslim ones mesh well at all at this time. And no, the extremism and terrorism doesn't help. No matter how many videos like this post, ISIS and other terror groups are still a legitimate threat and are causing a hell of a lot of turmoil in the world at the moment. No video will change that, or make people feel better about it.
This person is the portrait of an enabler. Gives 9/11 types their credibility and acceptance.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This person is the portrait of an enabler. Gives 9/11 types their credibility and acceptance.
I really did not like her. I tried to, because I had to see her all the time as she was in my major, but I couldn't. I didn't like what she said or even what she did. Like I said - fundamental differences. I wish people like her would just go back to Jordan or wherever and stop mooching off of this country, which they admit to not even liking. I mean the one thing she said that really ticked off my classmates was that her aunt "hates the US" but had her kid here anyway. Came here to have her kid. You hate it but you want your kid to have citizenship Just no. Go home so there are no issues. You live in your peace there, and we'll live in our peace here. And there's nothing wrong with wanting people like her out, IMO.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
You never know what kind of Mulsims you are dealing with until you spend some time with them.

You have the pious Muslim who prays, fasts, may be goes to the mosque and generally goes about his life without judging others.

Then you have the overbearing Muslim who constantly judges other Muslims (doesn't care about what Christians do). Do they pray, do they fast, do they wear hejab, and God forbid do they drink? They wrap themselves tight in hejab to show to the rest of the world that they have not been converted by the ways of the west even though, as we see in the refugee scenes out of Syria, they probably stepped on their mothers and sisters to flee their Muslim land.

Then you have what we call “moderate” Muslims. Moderate Muslims are Muslim by birth only and have a lot of issues with Islam themselves. They drink, eat pork and certainly neither pray nor fast. If they could start over again they would not pick Islam as their religion but are not there yet to convert out of Islam either.

This brings us to the ISIS Muslims. As much as people want to deny it, there are enough stuff in the Koran to set people off. And no, jihad is not understood by the vast majority of Muslims as some kind of self control to lose weight. It is about fighting and dying to spread Islam. The left has had the fantasy of one world government forever. Workers of the world unite! Remember? The problem is Islamists also believe that their mission is to convert every living creature on earth to Islam under a one world government. Not sure who will win in the end.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:56 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
I really did not like her. I tried to, because I had to see her all the time as she was in my major, but I couldn't. I didn't like what she said or even what she did. Like I said - fundamental differences. I wish people like her would just go back to Jordan or wherever and stop mooching off of this country, which they admit to not even liking. I mean the one thing she said that really ticked off my classmates was that her aunt "hates the US" but had her kid here anyway. Came here to have her kid. You hate it but you want your kid to have citizenship Just no. Go home so there are no issues. You live in your peace there, and we'll live in our peace here. And there's nothing wrong with wanting people like her out, IMO.
There was a time people became US citizens with tears in their eyes. Being an American meant something. Today people become citizens so they can travel without needing visas. Citizenship means no more than the little booklet called US passport. That’s all they want to know about America. It’s all about the perks. Once they are sure they are in, they start singing the praise of the country the fled. It’s their way of saying we don’t really need America. We were doing fine back there. They have no idea how this country became what it is. Of course, the fact that we have a whole contingent of people here who constantly bad mouth America for being racist and what not plays right into their hands.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Never say something and then say but...something bad or a lie is coming. And is a better conjuction to use...

Old 10-31-2015, 11:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You never know what kind of Mulsims you are dealing with until you spend some time with them.

You have the pious Muslim who prays, fasts, may be goes to the mosque and generally goes about his life without judging others.

Then you have the overbearing Muslim who constantly judges other Muslims (doesn't care about what Christians do). Do they pray, do they fast, do they wear hejab, and God forbid do they drink? They wrap themselves tight in hejab to show to the rest of the world that they have not been converted by the ways of the west even though, as we see in the refugee scenes out of Syria, they probably stepped on their mothers and sisters to flee their Muslim land.

Then you have what we call “moderate” Muslims. Moderate Muslims are Muslim by birth only and have a lot of issues with Islam themselves. They drink, eat pork and certainly neither pray nor fast. If they could start over again they would not pick Islam as their religion but are not there yet to convert out of Islam either.

This brings us to the ISIS Muslims. As much as people want to deny it, there are enough stuff in the Koran to set people off. And no, jihad is not understood by the vast majority of Muslims as some kind of self control to lose weight. It is about fighting and dying to spread Islam. The left has had the fantasy of one world government forever. Workers of the world unite! Remember? The problem is Islamists also believe that their mission is to convert every living creature on earth to Islam under a one world government. Not sure who will win in the end.
As there is no central Islamic Government, no human is going to gain if the entire world converts to Islam. There is no organization that oversees all Muslims and all Muslims belong too. Most Muslims do not even Join a Mosque. Very many of the world's Muslims do not even go into a Mosque for the obligatory prayers. They do them at work, School, home or where ever they happen to be.

Until the coming of the Mehdi and the return of Jesus(a.s.) there will be no central Islamic leadership. After Jesus(a.s.) and the Mehdi destroy the anti-Christ all people will follow the same religion and Peace will reign on earth until the resurrection and the final judgement. this is something both Muslims and Christians agree upon. but we do disagree as to if the one People will be Christians or Muslims.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Canada's lovely Khadr family (Google the name). Their son spent time in Guantanamo for attacking U.S. and Canadian troops in Afghanistan. His family, allegedly are now "Canadians" but they hate Canada (except its free health care and other welfare state trappings).

Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
There was a time people became US citizens with tears in their eyes.
Those are the people we need.

Quote:
Being an American meant something. Today people become citizens so they can travel without needing visas. Citizenship means no more than the little booklet called US passport. That’s all they want to know about America. It’s all about the perks. Once they are sure they are in, they start singing the praise of the country the fled. It’s their way of saying we don’t really need America. We were doing fine back there. They have no idea how this country became what it is. Of course, the fact that we have a whole contingent of people here who constantly bad mouth America for being racist and what not plays right into their hands.
They also want welfare benefits and, I suspect, the ability to freely plan mischief, without needing eyes on the back of their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam