Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 03:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Nope. I was in the camp that you can display the Confederate flag if you want.

Nice try, though. Nice deflection.

Oh, just in case you think I'm lying.

Oops.
Deflection from what? Your opinion they personally have to be convicted murders for people to actually fear a Muslim women in a burka or head scarf? What a joke.
You can't just command people not fear a Muslim women in head gear. You can command they keep their mouths shut like their neighbors did in CA but people will still be concerned when they see a Muslim women in a head scarf. You can't get rid of the fear people have. I think out of respect they should keep it off for at least a while after the last massive shooting.

Good luck with that fantasy. Americans are scared right now. Wearing the scarf is a choice. If they want to make that choice in this climate then they are making a statement. Some people will not like it.

Maybe they do not grip the seriousness of the situation. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I can take this same example, and replace the underlined with "a white man who was pictured with a Confederate flag killed 9 people and he pretended to fellowship with them in church." You don't think there were/are black people who were scared when they saw/see anyone with a Confederate flag??

And you aren't required to fly the Confederate flag under any law or religion, so why were some so adamant to still be able to fly it (not only on their property, but on government buildings)? Well by your logic, they want controversy or they are required to wear it because it's the law for a racist. Does that make sense to you?

You know what's interesting? I looked up your posts in that thread. You weren't in that thread saying those who publicly display Confederate flag paraphernalia should stop doing so for a week or two, out of respect for the Charleston victims, like you are here in this thread. Can't have it both ways.

Ho hum.
I don't think they should outlaw head scarfs here like they have in other countries either. I don't think the confederate flag should have been banned either.

But I do think it would be disrespectful to wear a dress made out of a confederate flag within a week of that shooting in a predominantly black area, then call the media when someone says something about it. And I do think it shows disrespect to wear an optional scarf within a week of a terrorist attack in America.

What's interesting and a bit scary is how strongly you feel about it, and the time you're putting into searching through post to get your message across about it. If this is personal to you, and you want to wear that scarf, go right ahead. I still think it's disrespectful to do so so close to this attack. I would opt to keep it in the closet until things calmed down. The same with my flag dress.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:35 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
it will be interesting to watch if this results in any or all of the following, as is typical for these type of media incidents, many of which are staged to begin with: lawsuit, demands, press conferences with CAIR, past present future meetings with CAIR.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Deflection from what? Your opinion they personally have to be convicted murders for people to actually fear a Muslim women in a burka or head scarf? What a joke.
You can't just command people not fear a Muslim women in head gear. You can command they keep their mouths shut like their neighbors did in CA but people will still be concerned when they see a Muslim women in a head scarf. You can't get rid of the fear people have. I think out of respect they should keep it off for at least a while after the last massive shooting.

Good luck with that fantasy. Americans are scared right now. Wearing the scarf is a choice. If they want to make that choice in this climate then they are making a statement. Some people will not like it.

Maybe they do not grip the seriousness of the situation. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Nah, you just assumed I was being a hypocrite, which I wasn't, and that backfired on you.

Americans are scared, sure, but that doesn't excuse them for expressing their misguided anger towards innocent people who are citizens of this country. That's the point several of us are trying to make and something you don't seem to grip. There are more tactful ways than telling someone to go back to their country. What does that really accomplish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't think they should outlaw head scarfs here like they have in other countries either. I don't think the confederate flag should have been banned either.

But I do think it would be disrespectful to wear a dress made out of a confederate within a week of that shooting in a predominantly black area, then call the media when someone says something about it. And I do think it shows disrespect to wear an optional scarf within a week of a terrorist attack in America.

What's interesting and a bit scary is how strongly you feel about it, and the time you're putting into searching through post to get your message across about it. If this is personal to you, and you want to wear that scarf, go right ahead. I still think it's disrespectful to do so so close to this attack. I would opt to keep it in the closet until things calmed down. The same with my flag dress.
Please, it literally took 45 seconds to put that post together. What I feel strongly about is hypocrisy, here. You carry a different tone between two similar situations (a mass shooting, followed by controversy over an item/article of clothing), but that's nothing new on this forum. Some of the same posters who told people to "get over" those who display the Confederate flag, even during a sensitive time (I remember some claiming they were going to go buy one just because of all the controversy ) are now the same ones who want citizens to refrain from wearing Muslim garb in public. But, that's C-D for ya.

But of course, I'm defending one's right to be able to wear a Hijab (or fly a flag) in public, so therefore, I must be a Muslim or a Muslim apologist. I'm a male, and I'm not Muslim. I just don't infringe on one's rights, just in case it makes some people uncomfortable.

Interesting ^ that is what you find scary, out of all of this.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yet if someone wears or flies certain things like say the image of the confederate flag the whole frigging country is offended, merchandise pulled from the shelves, TV shows canceled people fired.
Same sort of thing. My mother used to get riled up when she saw the goth girls at the mall. But, but, they're DEVIL WORSHIPERS! Mom, mom...mom, mom, mom.

That man was rude. Unless you pay a compliment, you don't mention others' attire. Full stop.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yet if someone wears or flies certain things like say the image of the confederate flag the whole frigging country is offended, merchandise pulled from the shelves, TV shows canceled people fired.

How convenient of you to leave out why all of that happened and what shooting lead to that outrage.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:48 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You should get a refund on your LLB.

You should learn to read.

Quote:
For example, waving a knife at someone or threatening someone with your fists are both examples of assault.

I know exactly what assault is under the common law. The problem with your post was that you referred to a specific, peculiar statute that used contact as part of the basis for a charge of "assault". I pointed out that "contact" means "physical touching", so the statute does not make it illegal to "be an ahole and say stupid things", as you claimed.

It's mind-boggling that, in trying to prove assault by words, you would refer to an obscure statute that requires physical contact as an element of a crime that generally does not require contact!

Now, if you want to argue that the speaker intentionally caused a reasonable apprehension of an offensive contact, have at it.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:

How convenient of you to leave out why all of that happened and what shooting lead to that outrage.
There's something wrong with his jacket. He needs a better tailor...or any tailor.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you also afraid of black people? People with tattoos? Or long hair? Where does this end with you?

These women were born here and are American. For all any of you know, they lost relatives in the 9/11 attack.

This must have been what it sounded like when discussing black people in the 1950's.

If you're that fearful of any woman wearing a head scarf, you don't get out enough.
Quote:

I'll let him explain it to you.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Not all Middle Eastern people are Muslims a quite a few in Nashville that are Christian especially the Lebanese and Jordanians.
She's Muslim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam