Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 AM

317 posts, read 373,496 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to why some women in the Middle East wear hijab and others don't. I teach at a school in kuwait and about 2/3rds of high school girls wear hijab and others don't. Is it just that some are more traditional and others not even if they live in the same part of the country?

I have a dishdasha and it's very comfortable to wear - more so than western clothing but I don't know about hijab and abaya for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 05:03 AM

3,640 posts, read 39,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm curious as to why some women in the Middle East wear hijab and others don't. I teach at a school in kuwait and about 2/3rds of high school girls wear hijab and others don't. Is it just that some are more traditional and others not even if they live in the same part of the country?

I have a dishdasha and it's very comfortable to wear - more so than western clothing but I don't know about hijab and abaya for women.
Hijab in reality is modesty in general or often used for a modest dress such as head covering. The latter is commonly known as hijab rather than actual meaning of hijab.

Some will not wear hijab (head covering) and others will because of the way they have been brought up. Most who wear hijab do it because they think it shows them to be more religious and others do it because they think it is modest to wear it.

The most fundamental reason for wearing or for not wearing is their safety. Wear it if it is safer to wear it than not. It all depends on culture. In some culture men will not try to disturb a hijab wearing woman and in another they are more likely to cause problem to a woman wearing hijab (such as in the West today).

In the Middle East, such as in Kuwait, it is individual's choice. In Saudi Arabia they will have no choice but to wear it. Education and culture plays a large part in these decisions.

Dishdasha or Thawb is cultural and fit for the climate. It is comfortable but I have never liked someone wearing it right in front of me in a congregation prayer.

Abaya or jilbab is comfortable for women and it prevents the figure of a woman being revealed more than necessary.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post

It's a complex variant of reasons. Some women are more religious than others, some wear it out of cultural affinity, some wear it for social acceptance, some don't wear it because they want to appear more western...

Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
It's a complex variant of reasons. Some women are more religious than others, some wear it out of cultural affinity, some wear it for social acceptance, some don't wear it because they want to appear more western...
And I must add that each reason is justified in the right place and at the right time. One decision may work in one place but may not work in another place at the same time. Only the people in each community will know what is the best for them and what would compromise their safety at the time.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Out of curiosity--and this is not in any way meant as a judgment of anyone else's culture, but just wondering--why is a woman's hair considered so sacred that it must be covered? Not just in Islam, of course--I work with Orthodox Jewish women who wear wigs once they marry, as their hair is for their husband's sight only.

But...why HAIR? It's not a sexual or private part of the body. How did this come to be? I'm not looking for quotes from religious written strictures such as the Q'uran or Torah, but rather what in the cultures prompted those strictures in the first place.

Again, just curious. Does anyone know?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Out of curiosity--and this is not in any way meant as a judgment of anyone else's culture, but just wondering--why is a woman's hair considered so sacred that it must be covered? Not just in Islam, of course--I work with Orthodox Jewish women who wear wigs once they marry, as their hair is for their husband's sight only.

But...why HAIR? It's not a sexual or private part of the body. How did this come to be? I'm not looking for quotes from religious written strictures such as the Q'uran or Torah, but rather what in the cultures prompted those strictures in the first place.

Again, just curious. Does anyone know?
Interesting question. Given the origin of the faiths, people of all kinds and genders covered their hair for the most part...it was and is an extremely hot, dry climate that will damage your skin if unprotected. Orthodox Jewish men to this day still adorn a head covering of sorts, Christian clergy sometimes do, and Muslim men in many parts of the ME do cover their hair...both for practical, cultural and yes religious reasons.

So I suppose the hair covering was fairly equitable between men and women in public life at least for some time...with the advent of modern ways to handle the conditions, there was no hard rule for men to cover their hair but there is for women...therefore women continue to do this where as many men in the region abandoned it.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:20 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,065,272 times
Verses that relate to the vei lHijab
al-nor -31-60
and -al -ahzab 59

These three verses from the Koran are supporting the lHijab in Islam

He wants to reading the Koran
And read these verses

Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,065,272 times
This is one of the sources of the net
https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/
TheHijab in Islamic culture is to dress Leicester woman's body. It is a hypothesis due to the canons of women in most Islamic sects and the difference

There is a consensus of Islamic scholars on the necessity of the Hijab on women, [1] although they differ in the body, some of them believe that women should cover all her body, including the face and hands, while the majority sees passport face and hands revealed

Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
A few decades ago the hijab was less common, so much for progress being linear.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:45 AM

There is nothing in the Qur'aan that tells women to cover their hairs. The only thing mentioned in the Qur'aan is that they should not show their beauty (zeenat) in public. Zeenat includes make-up, hair-do, jewelry, showing cleavage, body figure with tight clothing or very short or transparent dress.

The nearest that the Qur'aan comes to head cover is when it instructs women to cover their cleavage with head covering. That means, head covering was something that existed before the revelation of the Qur'aan. If one is to cover their breasts with the head covering then obviously the head cover will have to be there in the first place. This is not the same as a specific instruction for covering hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam