Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
Both Sunni and Shia Islam do have authoritative figures. The Twelver Shia have it great with leadership in their Ayatollahs. Even the Sunni have accredited Imams. Sunni Muslims have theological colleges/universities where they receive degrees in Islamic jurisprudence. The Sunni don't have a centralized religious hierarchy like the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, but they do have established and accredited religious scholarship. I used to believe that the Sunni kind of do their own thing, but the more I looked into this, I came to find otherwise.

For a long time, when the Ottoman Empire was around, Sunni Muslims often looked to the Turkish caliphate. Many Ottoman subjects came to resent the Caliphate because Turkish needs often came first compared to the Albanian, Bosnian, then Arab subjects. Even since then, Sunni Islam has lacked a central religious leader/guardian.

I am fascinated that Sunni Islam doesn't have a central religious hierarchy establishment. But, that does not mean it does not have its own Clergy and accredited scholars. You can't just claim to be an Imam without credentials. In Egypt, they have ancient and highly esteemed Sunni scholarship universities where you learn Sunni theology.

ISIL claims to be the reestablishment of the Sunni religious hierarchy.
Here in the US there are over 2100 Mosques but less than 700 Imams. Most Mosques are built by individuals or local communities and the Imam more often than not is the oldest person present at prayer time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:49 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times
Regardless of who has passed a course or is an imam, EVERYONE must go by the Qur'aan. There is no other way whether one is Sunni, Shia or whatever else.

I am only a human being and a Muslim.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Regardless of who has passed a course or is an imam, EVERYONE must go by the Qur'aan. There is no other way whether one is Sunni, Shia or whatever else.

I think one cause of confusion is non-Muslims equate Imams with Christian Clergy. There is no "Ordination" of Islamic Clergy, every Muslim is Clergy. No separation of Muslims, all Muslims are equal clergy. There is no central Authority that approves, selects, trains and assigns Imams. Any Muslim with the ability can build a Mosque wherever he desires and be the Imam in it. Many Mosques do begin as a spare room in the home of a person who desires to be an Imam. Most Mosques I am aware of consist of one Family. As the Family grows so does the Mosque.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think one cause of confusion is non-Muslims equate Imams with Christian Clergy. There is no "Ordination" of Islamic Clergy, every Muslim is Clergy. No separation of Muslims, all Muslims are equal clergy. There is no central Authority that approves, selects, trains and assigns Imams. Any Muslim with the ability can build a Mosque wherever he desires and be the Imam in it. Many Mosques do begin as a spare room in the home of a person who desires to be an Imam. Most Mosques I am aware of consist of one Family. As the Family grows so does the Mosque.
Most people have little clue of the hierarchy of the leaders in other religions. It's just the easy go to word. People use Rabbi for Jews and Priest for Christians. It's just too much to explain Congregational Leaders who are usually the most or highly educated on facets of their book(s).

Old 06-24-2017, 08:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post

In a perfect world everyone should go by the Quran. It's not a perfect world.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Most people have little clue of the hierarchy of the leaders in other religions. It's just the easy go to word. People use Rabbi for Jews and Priest for Christians. It's just too much to explain Congregational Leaders who are usually the most or highly educated on facets of their book(s).
I agree

I find it nearly impossible if not impossible to explain the roles of clergy in terms of another religion.

ie:

Can't use Christian terms to explain a Rabbi or Imam
Can't use Judaic terms to explain a Priest or an Imam
Can't use Islamic terms to explain a Priest or Rabbi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam