Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 05:21 PM

277 posts, read 191,765 times

Advertisements

I've read that Wahhabism describes itself as pure Orthodox Sunni Islam. Do most non-Wahhabism Islamic sects view Wahhabism positively or negatively?

I've also read that most Islamic terrorist groups subscribe to this Wahhabism religious group, why is this so?

I've read that the Islamic holiday of celebrating the Prophet Muhammad's birthday (Maw-lid) is considered wrong in the ideology of Wahhabism. In Saudi Arabia foreign Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhism, and other religions are not allowed to worship openly.

What is the reason for Wahhabism being so strict?

Also, why aren't non-Muslims allowed to visit Mecca?

Is Wahhabism growing? Or is it shrinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I've read that Wahhabism describes itself as pure Orthodox Sunni Islam. Do most non-Wahhabism Islamic sects view Wahhabism positively or negatively?

I've also read that most Islamic terrorist groups subscribe to this Wahhabism religious group, why is this so?

I've read that the Islamic holiday of celebrating the Prophet Muhammad's birthday (Maw-lid) is considered wrong in the ideology of Wahhabism. In Saudi Arabia foreign Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhism, and other religions are not allowed to worship openly.

Wahhabi/Salafi is growing. It is not a denomination of Islam but rather an extreme interpretation of Shariah which arose in power with the formation of the KSA (kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in 1932. It was a new School of Islamic Jurisprudence (Sharia) formed by Mohammad Wahhab in the mid 1700s. It was supported and followed by the al-Saud family for which reason the al-Saud was exiled from Hejaz and Nejd, However they returned and conquered both countries forming the KSA. The history of Wahhabi and the KSA coincide with each other. To under stand Wahhabi one has to understand the history of the KSA here are 2 timelines that might help

Saudi Arabia Time Line Chronological Timetable of Events - Worldatlas.com

You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia | HuffPost

The celebrating of Muhammad(saws)'s birthday seems to be a recent innovation and was not done in the past. Muslims typically avoid an action that might be seen as worshiping Muhammad(saws) or any Human.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 PM

277 posts, read 191,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Wahhabi/Salafi is growing. It is not a denomination of Islam but rather an extreme interpretation of Shariah which arose in power with the formation of the KSA (kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in 1932. It was a new School of Islamic Jurisprudence (Sharia) formed by Mohammad Wahhab in the mid 1700s. It was supported and followed by the al-Saud family for which reason the al-Saud was exiled from Hejaz and Nejd, However they returned and conquered both countries forming the KSA. The history of Wahhabi and the KSA coincide with each other. To under stand Wahhabi one has to understand the history of the KSA here are 2 timelines that might help

Saudi Arabia Time Line Chronological Timetable of Events - Worldatlas.com

You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia | HuffPost

The celebrating of Muhammad(saws)'s birthday seems to be a recent innovation and was not done in the past. Muslims typically avoid an action that might be seen as worshiping Muhammad(saws) or any Human.
Thanks, I've read though that Mawlid is a big occasion in most Muslim nations.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've read though that Mawlid is a big occasion in most Muslim nations.
While there are 49 Muslim Nations, Over 2/3 of the world's Muslims live in Just 6 Nations (Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Malaysia and China) and 2 of them (India, China) are not Muslim Nations. While it is probably true the majority of Muslim Nations do celebrate Mawlid, most Muslims don't.

While all Muslims agree there are 2 obligatory Holidays (Eid ul-Fitr and Eid ul-Adha} the status of Eid-Milad-un-Nabi (Mawlid) differs among individual Muslims. I do not know of any who consider celebrating it to be fiqh (Obligatory) Many seem to consider it to be halal (permissible) more seem to consider it makru (Not a sin, but discouraged) and a minority find it to be haram (forbidden, a sin)

About 85% of the World's Muslims are Sunni the 4 recognized Sunni Madhabs (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i and Hanbali) do not mention Eid-Milad-un-Nabi. Meaning it is not recognized as being Islamic by Sunni.

On a personal note I follow the Hanafi Madhab and do not celebrate any birthdays. (about 30% of all Sunni follow the Hanafi Madhab)

Old 06-24-2017, 01:26 AM

3,640 posts, read 43,806 times
I have never celebrated eid milad-an-nabi. Celebrating his birth is a recent development as it was never celebrated by his companions.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I have never celebrated eid milad-an-nabi. Celebrating his birth is a recent development as it was never celebrated by his companions.
Same here.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 AM

144 posts, read 206,862 times
Quote:

In Saudi Arabia foreign Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhism, and other religions are not allowed to worship openly.

I don't think Wahabism is growing, but for sure they try to.

God forbade non-muslims in Mecca.
There's a Quranic verse about this (in particular it points to polytheists).
I don't remember anything about forbiding at least People of the Book to continue to worship openly elsewhere in the country.

9.28 O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year.

So in the verse it's about the sacred Mosque only.

Some think it was only the Mosque, others that is was meaning all the city of Mecca, other the region of Hedjaz (region which includes Medina, Jeddah, Tabuk.. ).

I don't have enought knowledge to say if non-muslims (monotheists) were living there during the first 4 caliphates.

But i don't think it wasn't allowed to them to worship their religion (jews-christians) in the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam