Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I find this thread interesting and have more questions to post later.

Let's try and keep it friendly so as to not have it locked
Yes, I agree.

Any poster has any right to post on any topic for any reason s/he might choose.

If you don't agree, respond to the posts and stop attacking the posters.

Please let this serve as a warning for the entire thread.

Ask, respond, respond, ask.

Do it tactfully or don't bother.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Ramadan....the time changes each year? based on the Lunar??
This is the holiest holiday?

What is being celebrated if it is a celebration?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
^^

yes the Hijri Calender (the calendar used by Muslim) is Lunar based.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 AM

27 posts, read 74,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
First let me say that the Quran is not like the bible. By this I mean Muslim do not open up to a Chapter or verse and then make up what they think it means. The Quran's revelations were done during certain circumstances in history.

I have to get ready for work but when I have time I will address the rest of your statement (which is extremely inaccurate)

What gives you the idea that people that read the bible just "open up to a Chapter of verse and then make up what they think it means" for being very intellectual, i believe that was a very ignorant thing to say.

Isnt it true that there are some Muslim that point to a bible verse in Deutronemy that you say proves that Mohammad is the predicted messiah or prophet that Moses said was going to come after him (which is wrong, can describe further if you want)

How does your belief deal with Sin? or does it have a stance on Sin?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM

tverde

Quote:
What gives you the idea that people that read the bible just "open up to a Chapter of verse and then make up what they think it means" for being very intellectual, i believe that was a very ignorant thing to say.
Speaking from what I have observed. It doesn't seem to be the same as Islam in how the Quran is interpreted. I will concede the point and apologize if what I said offended.

Quote:
Isnt it true that there are some Muslim that point to a bible verse in Deutronemy that you say proves that Mohammad is the predicted messiah or prophet that Moses said was going to come after him (which is wrong, can describe further if you want)
this is true

Quote:
How does your belief deal with Sin? or does it have a stance on Sin?
Can you give me a example of what you mean?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Well in reality when it comes to the Bible, The Koran or the Talmud being as we all are human don't you think different people will interpret different ways??

I'm Catholic, went through Catholic schools and I am still perplexed with many things!

I do believe in one GOD no matter if his name is God, Allah, Jehovah et al

I also believe that all should be allowed to practice their religion/beliefs in peace and not try & force it down the throats of others.

I am also respectful of others beliefs..were I to go to a synagogue I would expect my husband to put a yarmukle on out of respect
If I were to visit a mainly Islamic nation, yes I would wear a head scarf out of respect but that's just me.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well in reality when it comes to the Bible, The Koran or the Talmud being as we all are human don't you think different people will interpret different ways??

I'm Catholic, went through Catholic schools and I am still perplexed with many things!

I do believe in one GOD no matter if his name is God, Allah, Jehovah et al

I also believe that all should be allowed to practice their religion/beliefs in peace and not try & force it down the throats of others.

I am also respectful of others beliefs..were I to go to a synagogue I would expect my husband to put a yarmukle on out of respect
If I were to visit a mainly Islamic nation, yes I would wear a head scarf out of respect but that's just me.
Sorry i took so long, I am at work.

Anyway

In Quran Chapter 3 versus 7 it says:

He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.

Generally speaking in the Quran (not sure if you have read one) you have whats called tafsir or the explanation of the verse. In the Tafsir you will see the historical background of a particular versue, ie when it was revealed. Or if it is about say Prophet Jesus, or David or Solomon etc then it will say a bit of background on that. This are clear cut, then as it says you have others that are allegorical and those in some cases do lead to some trouble with people trying to put their own spin on it. I assumed from the Christians I have come across (never really went in depth with a Christian scholar) that the bible was pretty much treated using interpretation and not from a historical basis. As someone else pointed out that i am probably wrong on this and it was probably just the people I met.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM

27 posts, read 74,707 times
Wild Style:

For instance, in the Christian belief, we were seperated from God due to sin, and because of Jesus that relationship that was once seperated from God can once again be reunited. (brief overview)

Can you clarify to me exactly what it is that Islam says that Deutronomy foretells. Deutronomy 14 i believe, if i remember right.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tverde View Post
Wild Style:

For instance, in the Christian belief, we were seperated from God due to sin, and because of Jesus that relationship that was once seperated from God can once again be reunited. (brief overview)

Can you clarify to me exactly what it is that Islam says that Deutronomy foretells. Deutronomy 14 i believe, if i remember right.
If I am following you right on the first part of your question. What you are speaking about deals with Christian belief in original sin, am I following you here? If so, then Islam is like Judaism, in that we both do not believe in the concept of original sin. I hope I answered your question.

On the second part of your question, I apologize. I don't know the Bible so well, so I can't answer that part of your question.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If I am following you right on the first part of your question. What you are speaking about deals with Christian belief in original sin, am I following you here? If so, then Islam is like Judaism, in that we both do not believe in the concept of original sin. I hope I answered your question.

On the second part of your question, I apologize. I don't know the Bible so well, so I can't answer that part of your question.
Hmm, never knew that!! I like that belief though!
It always troubled me that a child could come into the world already with sin and it would be up to his parents to remove it through baptism!!

Another question..I know many religions don't but does Islam believe in reincarnation, that you are here more then once just no memory of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam