Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 PM

50,247 posts, read 23,873,057 times

Advertisements

We're having a discussion down in the general part of religion forum, and the question has come up:

What do Muslims think -- is the god they worship the same god that christians worship, and is it therefore just a difference of interpretation? Or do they reject the christian god as being not real? Or something else entirely?

When I goggled it, about all I found was what christians say muslims say.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM

3,639 posts, read 15,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We're having a discussion down in the general part of religion forum, and the question has come up:

What do Muslims think -- is the god they worship the same god that christians worship, and is it therefore just a difference of interpretation? Or do they reject the christian god as being not real? Or something else entirely?

When I goggled it, about all I found was what christians say muslims say.

Thanks for your help.
We, Muslims, believe that God of Christians is the same God that is of Muslims. It is made clear in the Qur'an 29:46.

[Qur'an 29.46] And do not dispute with the followers of the Book (earlier revelations) except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit.
وَلَا تُجَادِلُوا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ إِلَّا بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ إِلَّا الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا مِنْهُمْ ۖ وَقُولُوا آمَنَّا بِالَّذِي أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْنَا وَأُنْزِلَ إِلَيْكُمْ وَإِلَٰهُنَا وَإِلَٰهُكُمْ وَاحِدٌ وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ

We believe in the message of Deuteronomy 6:4 and Mark 12:29 about the same One God of us all.

Therefore, Muslims worship the same God that Abraham, Moses and Jesus worshipped.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 PM

50,247 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
We, Muslims, believe that God of Christians is the same God that is of Muslims. It is made clear in the Qur'an 29:46.

[Qur'an 29.46] And do not dispute with the followers of the Book (earlier revelations) except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit.
وَلَا تُجَادِلُوا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ إِلَّا بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ إِلَّا الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا مِنْهُمْ ۖ وَقُولُوا آمَنَّا بِالَّذِي أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْنَا وَأُنْزِلَ إِلَيْكُمْ وَإِلَٰهُنَا وَإِلَٰهُكُمْ وَاحِدٌ وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ

We believe in the message of Deuteronomy 6:4 and Mark 12:29 about the same One God of us all.

Therefore, Muslims worship the same God that Abraham, Moses and Jesus worshipped.
Thank you for responding.

Would you say that your response would be generally accepted by Muslims?

Old 05-29-2020, 06:05 PM

21,906 posts, read 19,049,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post

Thank you Khalif.
As-Salaam-Alaikum

Old 05-30-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for responding.

Would you say that your response would be generally accepted by Muslims?
It has to be accepted by all Muslims as its basis is in the Qur'an. Nowhere in the Qur'an is said that our God is different God than the God of Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Thank you Khalif.
As-Salaam-Alaikum
Thank you too Tzaphkiel.

There are several verses in the Qur'an that make quite clear that God of Muslims is the same God that revealed the Torah (Taurat in Arabic) before the Qur'an. Muslims' faith is based on this fact about God. Denying it would take the denier out of folds of Islam. There is no room for compromise on this belief in Islam.

Wa-alaikum-assalaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu
(And peace and Mercy from God, and Blessings be upon you too)

Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,053,982 times
coming to think of it, it becomes a complex and an interesting crux when you throw in the Jewish Theology.

Muslims believe that their God is the same as Christian God.
Christians believe that their God is not the same as Islamic God.
Jews believe that their God is the same as Islamic God.
Christians believe that their God is the same is Jewish God.
Jews believe that their God is not the same as Christian God.
Muslims believe that their God is the same as Jewish God.

I believe it's ONE God.
The attributes associated with God by each theology is where the difference is.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:59 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
coming to think of it, it becomes a complex and an interesting crux when you throw in the Jewish Theology.

Muslims believe that their God is the same as Christian God.
Christians believe that their God is not the same as Islamic God.
Jews believe that their God is the same as Islamic God.
Christians believe that their God is the same is Jewish God.
Jews believe that their God is not the same as Christian God.
Muslims believe that their God is the same as Jewish God.

I believe it's ONE God.
The attributes associated with God by each theology is where the difference is.
Not true without the "Some" before "Christians". Most Christians I personally know believe that God/Allah is the same thing.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not true without the "Some" before "Christians". Most Christians I personally know believe that God/Allah is the same thing.
In my opinion, a big majority of Christians cannot agree that Christian God and Islamic God are the same.

Cuz if they do, then technically and theologically, the entire Christian doctrine falls apart, as it's based on Trinity, a sin (that is called "Shirk") that Islamic God does not forgive.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:04 AM

This is why I had described what I believed about God (Allah). There is no point in saying what others (Christians or Jewish people) believe about God.

The problem starts when one begins to describe God's essence. God is just a generic word. God can be described by His attributes (as we understand) but not by His essence.

My understanding is that Trinity was developed long after Jesus in an attempt to describe essence of God. It goes so far then it falls apart. The more one tries to explain Trinity (God) the more complicated it becomes. More one explains it the more questions arise rather than answering the main question.

When I read the Jewish books or the Gospels, I try to understand them and try to reconcile them with the revelation of the Qur'an. This is where I can reconcile Father, Son and the Spirit with what is in the Qur'an without going too far and losing my way.

When Jesus said Father is greater than I, we can say that he was talking about God (Allah) as Father. He wasn't talking about two Gods one greater than the other. It would be going too far to equate Jesus with God.

We understand that God breathed His spirit into Adam and Adam became a living being. One is given life with spirit from God. Person is dead when spirit is taken away by God from that living person. Spirit in Arabic is "Ruh" and it comes from God. Basically it is known to us as "command from God". Spirit is also in Words of God (revelations). Words of God carry spirit from God. When we understand God's Words, spirit in us already is strengthened with more spirit from God through His Words.

Therefore, there is a link between human being with God through spirit whether through life giving spirit or through spirit in God's Words conveyed to us through the messengers (both humans and angels such as Jibrael).

It could be that the guys who put together the Trinity idea were trying to describe something similar but somehow went too far.

Overall, all three so called Abrahamic religions are about One God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam