Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 150,007 times

Advertisements

Why Islam?

Dr. Ja`far Sheikh Idris
Adapted from a lecture by ANALYS, Toronto

Why Islam? The question "why?" demands a rational answer. However, many people think that it is not possible to give rational answers to ideological commitments (by ideology, we mean a system of thought). They believe that a commitment to any theistic ideology is an irrational act. One cannot deny the fact that many people do commit themselves illogically to various ideologies and continue to hold onto them only because they find themselves to be raised up in particular communities. They accept such ideologies in just the same way as they would accept a traditional form of dress handed down to them through the generations. For example, a person might be deeply committed to a nationalistic ideology simply because it may be the best way to win the support of the masses and thereby gain personal political power.

Moderator cut: copyright violation Why Islam? (Islaam.Com)

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-06-2008 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,868 times
Why NOT Islam : islam muslim muslims islamic death

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
David, do you have to be so very intolerant and hateful of those who do not agree with your viewpoint?

Your behavior exhibits the most disgusting and sanctimonious aspects of your religion.

Shame on you.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
I agree chielgirl. Not very "christian" of you David.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
David, do you have to be so very intolerant and hateful of those who do not agree with your viewpoint?

Your behavior exhibits the most disgusting and sanctimonious aspects of your religion.

Shame on you.
You know for some who hates religion so much, it's curious that you always have an opinion and always think you know more than the religious about religion. Very un-atheist of you chiefgirl.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 AM

I can tell hate when I see it.
What, you agree with his link? Says more about you than anything else you could type.

The reason I'm atheist is that I was raised and educated as a christian.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 AM
juj

Quote:
I can tell hate when I see it.
What, you agree with his link? Says more about you than anything else you could type.

The reason I'm atheist is that I was raised and educated as a christian.
And you learned nothing. I don't necessarily agree with the link either, but I am tired of these folks getting on here and telling us how peacful their religion is. It is clearly not. What's worse is simple minded folks who get on and then say thanks for telling them about this beautiful peaceful religion without doing one ounce of research.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Like the christians do?

Intolerance is not a positive value.
Many christians on this board exude intolerance and hatred.

Clean up your own house before you throw stones at others.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
juj

Quote:
Like the christians do?

Intolerance is not a positive value.
Many christians on this board exude intolerance and hatred.

Clean up your own house before you throw stones at others.
My house is clean. I don't hate anything. But I do like to expose facts. Again, when we remove layers of human imperfection, now and over the years, the core christianity teachings are a beautiful thing. That's what I know. I am pretty sure I didn't read Jesus and the Christian God recommending anything like this to his people:

Surah (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

It's not the God's wrath stuff I think is so telling (first sentence), since the Bible contains some of it's own wrath. What's really important about this text is what it instructs it's faithful follower to do do. No translation is necessary. This very direct and very plain text. And you wonder why Al-Quaeda is cutting off heads when they capture some poor American worker or soldier. They're just following orders. Christians get "love thy enemy" and Muslims get cut off their heads and strike off every fingertip.

....ah so peaceful, so soothing and calming, just puts me sleep.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
My house is clean. I don't hate anything. But I do like to expose facts. Again, when we remove layers of human imperfection, now and over the years, the core christianity teachings are a beautiful thing. That's what I know. I am pretty sure I didn't read Jesus and the Christian God recommending anything like this to his people:

Surah (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

It's not the God's wrath stuff I think is so telling (first sentence), since the Bible contains some of it's own wrath. What's really important about this text is what it instructs it's faithful follower to do do. No translation is necessary. This very direct and very plain text. And you wonder why Al-Quaeda is cutting off heads when they capture some poor American worker or soldier. They're just following orders. Christians get "love thy enemy" and Muslims get cut off their heads and strike off every fingertip.

....ah so peaceful, so soothing and calming, just puts me sleep.
Before you condemn others perhaps you should look into your own back yard...Christianity is peaceful? Not likely.

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys. (1st Sam 15:2-3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam