Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times

Advertisements

I am appalled. And disgusted. To think that a 'religous' organization so blythly would put lives at risk in order to spread the 'good news'. Are they that naive? Beyond what harm it does the US' reputation in Iraq and the lives of our military personel there, think about the Iraqis themselves....If they are found with such a coin on their person, it could have dire consequences on them.
Please, please Christians would you just leave the rest of us alone?! Is that too hard to understand? The vast majority of people on this Earth already know who Jesus is. If they choose not to give him any credence you (Christians) need to learn to deal with it already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
After rereading the post again, I have to wonder who is making the coins to be passed out in Iraq. I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but the production of coins is something which will cost enough to be traced. I would love to know what group is pushing this. I can see how religions on both sides could use this as a “circle the wagons” call to arms issue. In the Muslim sector it would surely cause a stir, while in the Christian sector with world wide dropping membership it might pull what believers they have back into the flock, and appeal to new extreme converts looking for a mark to make in their lives.
I think if it is true a concerted effort needs to be made to find the base and cut it off at the roots, as well as expose those involved.
As the saying goes "follow the money..."
I can see evengelicals taking the opportunity to 'save a muslim'. Good and common sense seem to not have much in common with people hell bent on making everybody believe as they do.
But I don't see this as a good recruitment tool for Christians. Unless you are already a rabid evangelical, this type of recruitment is not going to resonate with the rank and file christians.
I can however, see how this would draw muslims together to protect themselves from this religious threat.
(sigh), either way, someone just found a great way to make Iraq an even more dangerous mess then it already was.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM

83 posts, read 218,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am appalled. And disgusted. To think that a 'religous' organization so blythly would put lives at risk in order to spread the 'good news'. Are they that naive? Beyond what harm it does the US' reputation in Iraq and the lives of our military personnel there, think about the Iraqis themselves....If they are found with such a coin on their person, it could have dire consequences on them.
Please, please Christians would you just leave the rest of us alone?! Is that too hard to understand? The vast majority of people on this Earth already know who Jesus is. If they choose not to give him any credence you (Christians) need to learn to deal with it already!
Yet you push your agenda.. what gives you the right to say what you believe and suggest that they stop? As i see it They are the ones who are putting their neck on the block for you civilians. Your not there. It may have a back lash but so did the people who came to America and preached against the rule of Spain and Britten. Many people were killed for the trouble makers yet most would say it was worth it.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
Yet you push your agenda.. what gives you the right to say what you believe and suggest that they stop? As i see it They are the ones who are putting their neck on the block for you civilians. Your not there. It may have a back lash but so did the people who came to America and preached against the rule of Spain and Britten. Many people were killed for the trouble makers yet most would say it was worth it.
What are you talking about? Proselytizing a religion is different then the American revolution.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
Your comparison is bogus. Independence does not equal religious bullying.

How would you feel if you had Muslims trying to convert you?
Getting people killed in the name of your god thing is not good. But wackaloon christians don’t care because it’s not their own lives being put on the line.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your comparison is bogus. Independence does not equal religious bullying.

How would you feel if you had Muslims trying to convert you?
Getting people killed in the name of your god thing is not good. But wackaloon christians don’t care because it’s not their own lives being put on the line.
'Amen' Chielgirl!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
all right, let's clarify some things here. yes, some officer somewhere needs to be knocked down a paygade or two. no one should be using authority to coerce people into religious decisions.

but this is not as widespread as i believe people are thinking. i realize that i was only in the usmc for 4 years, but the majority of that was in georgia, florida, virginia, and north carolina, with forays into tennesee, kentucky, south carolina, and other, similar states, and i never had a problem with it. and i never saw anything like this in iraq either.

stupid people manage to give entire groups of people a bad reputation.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 AM

553 posts, read 567,859 times
And then comes THIS.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
And then comes THIS.

Now we know it true, and I suspect the poor Marine is a dupe for one of our Mega Religious groups. I hope the investigation doesn’t stop with him and we find the real instigator.
It would nice to find and take legal action taken against the “Coin Gate” pusher. I am not sure if there is a law for being just stupid or not, but this seems to fall in between that and endangering our troops.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am appalled. And disgusted. To think that a 'religous' organization so blythly would put lives at risk in order to spread the 'good news'. Are they that naive? Beyond what harm it does the US' reputation in Iraq and the lives of our military personel there, think about the Iraqis themselves....If they are found with such a coin on their person, it could have dire consequences on them.
I agree with the first part of your post, but please don't paint all those who would call themselves Christians with the same brush. Most American Christians understand and agree with the issue of separation of church and state.

I am anxious to hear the rest of the story. I'm betting that there are folks of higher rank that will be exposed. And I can't wait until they do follow the money and see who has funded this. Might another rejection of a presidential endorsement be in the works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam