Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post

shaitan, also spelled Sheitan, Arabic Shayṭān, in Islāmic myth, an unbelieving class of jinn (“spirits”); it is also the name of Iblīs, the devil, when he is performing demonic acts
shaitan | Islamic mythology | Encyclopedia Britannica

nothing there about "anything that causes us to go astray". could it be that apologists only extended the definition so as to justify funny stories like this?
You will find that the islamic belief about Satan (Shaytan) is similar to the Judaic belief.

Satan is the Devil, the prosecuting angel. The word Satan simply means an ‘adversary’ and is used in the Bible of any opponent or enemy, the root meaning of the word being ‘to oppose’, with no supernatural overtones.
Satan, the Adversary - My Jewish Learning

. As mentioned before, the word not only means an adversary, but a stumbling block or an obstacle. What exactly is an obstacle? It is something which is put in our path requiring us to overcome it. Obstacles in this life give us opportunities to stretch our muscles and to grow.
Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan

Your Britannica quote, is not quite what most Muslims believe.

Here is more in line with what most Muslims believe

Question 18: Power of Satan and Jinn

Question: To what extent do Satan and the other jinn have power over human beings?
Brief Answer

The words “satan” and “jinn” are repeatedly mentioned in the Qur`an. There is also a chapter in the Qur`an named “al-Jinn”. “Satan” is a common noun that denotes any creature that is mischievous, misleading, and delinquent, whether it be human or not. “Iblis” is a proper noun and is the ‘Arabic name of the particular satan who deceived Adam and Eve (ع) and even now lays in wait for any opportunity to deceive the sons of Adam.

Question 18: Power of Satan and Jinn | Faith and Reason | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Whats up with this:

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 105:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, “If somebody keeps a horse in Allah’s Cause motivated by his faith in Allah and his belief in His Promise, then he will be rewarded on the Day of Resurrection for what the horse has eaten or drunk and for its dung and urine.”

the simplest explanation I have heard it is reassurance we will be rewarded for our good deeds even the treating of domestic animals well, feeding them and cleaning up after them

Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 AM

430 posts, read 481,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

The words “satan” and “jinn” are repeatedly mentioned in the Qur`an. There is also a chapter in the Qur`an named “al-Jinn”. “Satan” is a common noun that denotes any creature that is mischievous, misleading, and delinquent, whether it be human or not. “Iblis” is a proper noun and is the ‘Arabic name of the particular satan who deceived Adam and Eve (ع) and even now lays in wait for any opportunity to deceive the sons of Adam.

Question 18: Power of Satan and Jinn | Faith and Reason | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

satan is a creature. a mucus is not.

Quote:
the simplest explanation I have heard it is reassurance we will be rewarded for our good deeds even the treating of domestic animals well, feeding them and cleaning up after them
wow you are much better at explaining things. you should have been the prophet, not mohammad.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
satan is a creature. a mucus is not.

wow you are much better at explaining things. you should have been the prophet, not mohammad.
Satan my be a creature, but is not limited to such it can be any distraction.

Sorry, I don't qualify as a prophet

The definitions I use actually come from the tafsir of various scholars as I ask questions of the Ahadith in my quest of learning to understand Ahadith.

the truth of Ahadith is they are the exact words witnesses heard Muhammad(saws) say, to the best of their memory. Muhammad(saws) was a human, he had the limitations of a human and the limitations of his education, his words may not always be scientifically accurate, this should not be an issue as he was not giving any science lessons.

The reliability of ahadith decresses if witness word it differently or if there are few witnesses. some of the criteria for a hadith to be sahih is there has to be a minimum of 4 different witnesses, the accounts each coming from different Isnads and the wordings being virtually identical. An exception being the ahadith narrated by Aisha as much were from private conversation during which only she and Muhammad(saws) were present. (the Shi'ite do not accept any of the Ahadith narrated by Aisha.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Satan my be a creature, but is not limited to such it can be any distraction.
the definition you posted did not say so.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't qualify as a prophet
congratulations thats what god wanted to hear. the first quality of a prophet is humilty.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
the definition you posted did not say so.

congratulations thats what god wanted to hear. the first quality of a prophet is humilty.
Looking back at the post I gave the definition as:

Quote:
You will find that the islamic belief about Satan (Shaytan) is similar to the Judaic belief.

Satan is the Devil, the prosecuting angel. The word Satan simply means an ‘adversary’ and is used in the Bible of any opponent or enemy, the root meaning of the word being ‘to oppose’, with no supernatural overtones.
Satan, the Adversary - My Jewish Learning

. As mentioned before, the word not only means an adversary, but a stumbling block or an obstacle. What exactly is an obstacle? It is something which is put in our path requiring us to overcome it. Obstacles in this life give us opportunities to stretch our muscles and to grow.
But He(swt) also said there will be no new Prophets(pbut) after Muhammad(saws)

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Looking back at the post I gave the definition as:
hey thats a jewish point of view. besides if you read further it says its "something which is put in our path requiring us to overcome it". a test, woodrow. mucus aint no test. it just happens. yuck!

Quote:
But He(swt) also said there will be no new Prophets(pbut) after Muhammad(saws)
you didnt get the joke.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
hey thats a jewish point of view. besides if you read further it says its "something which is put in our path requiring us to overcome it". a test, woodrow. mucus aint no test. it just happens. yuck!

you didnt get the joke.
Actually I did get the Joke, but I was unable to think of a witty reply

Yes that is the Jewish view point and it is as best as I can tell identical to the Islamic view.
Islam is not a new religion, everything in Islam has been revealed by earlier Prophets(PBUT)
You will find the teachings of Islam among Jews, Christian and Sabeeans.

all things in our life are tests. In many ways we are in a swim or sink environment and all subject to the natural laws of physics, biology and sociology among other natural occurring factors

Nothing new to see here folks, it has all been said before.The Qur'an is nothing that has not been previously revealed to other people.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:35 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
Lightbulb About that washing out of the nostrils:

I too first ran across that in some lowbrow internet thread that was making fun of Islam.

But then I got to thinking. Washing out the sinuses is a common sense hygiene practice that is underappreciated in the West. Making fun of anything to do with nasal mucus is typical childish barnyard humor. A lot of sensible ancient health practices got codified into the Abrahamic faiths. Maybe this is one of them.

Soooo... I thought maybe there is something worthwhile about this (mistranslated) "Satan lurks in the nostrils" idea.

Nasal hairs catch up dirt, pollen, and germs. The body produces mucus to bind up and fight them off from entering the respiratory system. Maybe the whole idea of calling the germs something like Satan (or the Muslim version of an Evil Entity) is an intuitive or inspired understanding of the germs as living -- and harmful-- things.

My idea is that when some Westerners point out the (mistranslated) "Satan lurks in the nostrils" verse or quotation, they are ignorantly making fun of something that was way ahead of Western thinking of its time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam