Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

It is very kind of you, HH61 to offer to explain your religion to others. I hope you don't feel overwhelmed!

My question to you (or elwill - as ever always, thank you for answering questions) is this: Are young muslims finding it difficult to intertwine modernity and islam? Is it possible?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
Assalamu Alaykum Brothers and Sisters.
Greetings People of City-Data.

As a 15 year old who knows most of the quran off by heart and is born and raised as a Muslim. [Allhamdulah] I'm here to answer all questions about Islam that you need an answer to.

All my Muslim brothers and sisters can feel free to answer the questions as well. I'm going to answer to the best of my knowledge of Reading the Quran in Arabic and English.

Thanks,
Memorizing does not equate to understanding. A wise person seeks answers, rather than seeking to give them.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
yes , it was part of his uncle relegion , but they didn't worshipped the almighty God , they worshipped the idoles
and yes they knew that this building belong to abraham and they knew that this building belong to God , they knew that it's relegious building

did you hear about elephant event with kaba before birth of mohammed (pbuh) which happened in the year called year of elephant ?
the details of this story you can find it here
Tafsir.com Tafsir Ibn Kathir

but i will just focus in the convesation between abd almoataleb with abraha who intend to destroy Kaba

When they approached the area of At-Ta'if, its people -- the people of Thaqif -- went out to Abrahah. They wanted to appease him because they were fearful for their place of worship, which they called Al-Lat. Abrahah was kind to them and they sent a man named Abu Righal with him as a guide. When they reached a place known as Al-Mughammas, which is near Makkah, they settled there. Then he sent his troops on a foray to capture the camels and other grazing animals of the Makkans, which they did, including about two hundred camels belonging to `Abdul-Muttalib. The leader of this particular expedition was a man named Al-Aswad bin Mafsud. According to what Ibn Ishaq mentioned, some of the Arabs used to satirize him (because of the part he played in this historical in this historical incident). Then Abrahah sent an emissary named Hanatah Al-Himyari to enter Makkah, commanding him to bring the head of the Quraysh to him. He also commanded him to inform him that the king will not fight the people of Makkah unless they try to prevent him from the destruction of the Ka`bah.
Hanatah went to the city and he was directed to `Abdul-Muttalib bin Hashim (grandfather of the prophet), to whom he relayed Abrahah's message. `Abdul-Muttalib replied, "By Allah! We have no wish to fight him, nor are we in any position to do so. This is the Sacred House of Allah, and the house of His Khalil, Ibrahim, and if He wishes to prevent him (Abrahah) from (destroying) it, it is His House and His Sacred Place (to do so). And if He lets him approachit, by Allah, We have no means to defend it from him.''
So Hanatah told him, "Come with me to him (Abrahah).'' And so `Abdul-Muttalib went with him. When Abrahah saw him, he was impressed by him, because `Abdul-Muttalib was a large and handsome man. So Abrahah descended from his seat and sat with him on a carpet on the ground. Then he asked his translator to say to him, "What do you need'' `Abdul-Muttalib replied to the translator, "I want the king to return my camels which he has taken from me which are two hundred in number.''

Abrahah then told his translator to tell him, "I was impressed by you when I first saw you, but now I withdraw from you after you have spoken to me. You are asking me about two hundred camels which I have taken from you and you leave the matter of a house which is (thefoundation of) religion and the religion of your fathers, which I have come to destroy and you do not speak to me about it'' `Abdul-Muttalib said to him, "Verily, I am the lord of the camels. As for the House, it has its Lord Who will defend it.'' Abrahah said, "I cannot be prevented (from destroying it).'' `Abdul-Muttalib answered, "Then do so.''

so , mekkans considered the kabah as a part of thier relegion , they knew that kabah is belong to almighty God and thier grandfathers abraham and ismaiel (pbut)

thier relegion was the same relegion of abraham but through the time they misguided the way of abraham and worshiped the idoles beside before the almighty God
Kabah is a stone in the building not the building itself. Have you ever seen the stone? Do they allow people to look at it?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Default Moderate and Radical Islam

I have been reading about Islam for a number of years in an attempt to better understand what Islam is about. I posted the below in another thread. It appears that there is quite a difference between moderate Islam and radical Islam. I would appreciate any comments/enlightenment on what I posted below.

For a different take on Islam from most of what I have been reading in this thread read Brigitte Gabriel's recently published book They Must Be Stopped.
Any discussion of Islam must differentiate between moderate Islam and radical Islam(pure Islam). Additionally, Islam is not just a religion. Islam is a religious, political, social, economic, and military ideology. The Koran itself calls for the submission and killing of disbelievers(Koran 9:5; Koran 8:39). I am curious how moderate Islam reconciles this with radical Islam. It's nice to talk about peace but the Koran appears to put more emphasis on killing, with peace only coming if disbelievers submit to Islam's beliefs.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Kabah is a stone in the building not the building itself. Have you ever seen the stone? Do they allow people to look at it?
no , it's the black stone which in the kabah building , the building itself is the kabah

and yes i saw it and people can see and touch it either

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It is very kind of you, HH61 to offer to explain your religion to others. I hope you don't feel overwhelmed!

My question to you (or elwill - as ever always, thank you for answering questions) is this: Are young muslims finding it difficult to intertwine modernity and islam? Is it possible?

Thank you!
i didn't understood your question completely can you reform it or support it with example , plz ?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i didn't understood your question completely can you reform it or support it with example , plz ?
Sorry!
What I meant was, is it difficult for young muslims in western countries especially, to wed modern thought and ideology to islamic principles? Two examples: The first was a story I had read of a young muslim girl who wanted to play soccer -- yet felt she needed to wear a hijab in order to do it. There were concerns for safety -- if too long, or if it obscured her vision. Luckily, the soccer league and the girl were able to come to an agreement that worked for everybody. Another example: I had watched on television a story of young people (late teens, early twenties) who live in Iran. They are caught between old customs and new techonology such as the internet. They are told for the sexes to stay apart, yet they email each other regularily. The women are told to wear the hijab, yet they prefer to wear as small a headscarf as they can get away with. In no way am I suggesting they want to be immoral, or unchaste -- they merely want more personal freedoms that they have become aware of through the internet.
So, do older muslims view this desire for some change as a threat? Or a fad that will pass? Do young muslims view traditional muslim beliefs to be in conflict with modernity?
I hope I made that clearer......

Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Sorry!
What I meant was, is it difficult for young muslims in western countries especially, to wed modern thought and ideology to islamic principles? Two examples: The first was a story I had read of a young muslim girl who wanted to play soccer -- yet felt she needed to wear a hijab in order to do it. There were concerns for safety -- if too long, or if it obscured her vision. Luckily, the soccer league and the girl were able to come to an agreement that worked for everybody. Another example: I had watched on television a story of young people (late teens, early twenties) who live in Iran. They are caught between old customs and new techonology such as the internet. They are told for the sexes to stay apart, yet they email each other regularily. The women are told to wear the hijab, yet they prefer to wear as small a headscarf as they can get away with. In no way am I suggesting they want to be immoral, or unchaste -- they merely want more personal freedoms that they have become aware of through the internet.
So, do older muslims view this desire for some change as a threat? Or a fad that will pass? Do young muslims view traditional muslim beliefs to be in conflict with modernity?
I hope I made that clearer......
thank you , it's more clear now
my personal answer is no . there are no conflicts between modernity and ideology of islam in general
those examples are not represent the concept of modernity , you are talking about special cases of this modernity
there are negative modernity and positive modernity
so as replying for you question in general i can say that you can find this kind of conflicts in anytime and in any country with different kinds of conflicts , i think this is kind of test from God to us to distinguish whom will be patient and whom will be fall on this kind of negative modernize which conflicts with islam

the internet technology not conflict with islam , but some practices used by this techonlogy are conflicts wuth islam .
is that mean that islam conflict with the internet or with modernity ?!

if adultery is modernate practice , so yes , there are conflicts between this kind of practices and islam
i hope that my insight about this issue is clear for you

Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
Assalamu Alaykum Brothers and Sisters.
Greetings People of City-Data.

As a 15 year old who knows most of the quran off by heart and is born and raised as a Muslim. [Allhamdulah] I'm here to answer all questions about Islam that you need an answer to.

All my Muslim brothers and sisters can feel free to answer the questions as well. I'm going to answer to the best of my knowledge of Reading the Quran in Arabic and English.

Thanks,
I'm embarrassed for you thus far. Are you sorry yet that you offered to share your faith?

I have a question;

Other than the obvious differences we have in Christ's divinity, what do you think are the greatest differences that seperate muslims from their Christian brothers and sisters?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I have a question for whoever will answer it. Do you believe in the censorship of western films, music, books, etc. in muslim society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam