Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM

153 posts, read 563,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And if you'll study the history, VERY few conflicts (and almost no wars) were instigated solely by religion. More often than not, it has a lot more to do with economic and political issues. Religion came into it, of course, because most folks of that era were very religious.
Religion JUSTIFIED it. Who can argue when it's God-sanctioned? The primitive, violent, angry, vengeful behavior of Jehovah described in the Bible made it very plausible for God-fearing folk to support the most horrific acts against fellow human beings done in the name of God. It was (and still is) a model of behavior.

Quote:
Even the Crusades (anti-religious folks' favorite reference) had more to do with trade routes, expansionism, and economics than religion. And they also tend to forget that Europe only "hit back" after Muslim invaders had conquered all of North Africa and were well on their way to taking Spain --- by force.
There's violent, greedy men and women exerting their power-over all over the world in the name of every major religion and many of the minor ones...

To simplify it, humans can be very, very "good" to each other and the world and humans can be very, very "bad" to each other and the world. Makes NO matter if you are man or woman, Muslim Christian or Jew. It holds true across the board. And no ONE religion can lead you to "Absolute Goodness" since it is not in the nature of the human being to be ALL "bad" or ALL "good." We are both, and it is ALL GOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
Regarding Catholics being Christians:

I don't suppose anyone remembers what the Reformation was all about? You know that thing Martin Luther started, and what thousands of Christians died by the hand of the Roman Catholic church for?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times
They both follow Christ, they're both Christian. Whether or not they conform to your definition of Christian is a different issue.

When I'm faced with an Algebraic problem, I may approach it in a different manner than you, but the correct answer is the same in either approach, right?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:51 PM

36 posts, read 96,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Regarding Catholics being Christians:

I don't suppose anyone remembers what the Reformation was all about? You know that thing Martin Luther started, and what thousands of Christians died by the hand of the Roman Catholic church for?
Your right. Someone has read about this subject.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 96,108 times
Quote:
1. In the Middle Ages, there was no difference. Even today, the difference is slight. All Catholics are Christians, but not necessarily all Christians are Catholics.

2. What's your source for that? When did "the popes" murder millions of Christians or Muslims?

3. Oo boy. You don't actually know any Catholics, do you?
1. Answer: Nope I strongly disagree-- very few Catholics are Christians, they trust Mary to pray to Jesus for them and they pray to idols for different needs. Scripture says that there are those who have the form of godliness but deny the power thereof, from such turn away. Ask them how they got saved? Scriptures? Purgatory? Most haven't got a clue, they go to church because their friends are there or they grew up Catholic and were told that there is no salvation apart from the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church covers up the Pedophile Priest activities and sends them on to other parishes to molest and grope there. Not Christian activities according to the Bible.
There was a huge difference in the Middle Ages between Catholics and Christians. And the difference today is also great, at least the popes aren't sending out troops to kill non Catholics. I'm not going to write a book on the differences, but I don't know how you don't know this.

2. Answer: Actually there is a very old and wonderful source called "Foxes book of Martyrs". It used to be the second best read book apart from the bible. John Paul apologized for these murders (Jews too) prior to his death, it was in the newspapers and on national T.V.

3. Answer: Again, your assumption is wrong. I know quite a few Catholics and have had many discussions about the scriptures. Maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but it's almost universal everywhere I go.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Catholics believe in Jesus Christ. That makes them Christians. Maybe they aren't like your "brand" of Christians, but they are Christians. What's more, Catholics are the leading brand of Christian and have more followers than any other Christian group.

This is the same argument I was having above about branding all the Muslims the same even though many of them believe in different things.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Quote:
There was a huge difference in the Middle Ages between Catholics and Christians. .
Please tell us about the non Catholic Christians,, enquiring minds... etc.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM

431 posts, read 393,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelite View Post
There are over 30 small wars on this planet and most of them involve Muslims killing to take control for Allah. Their religion, life style, laws, and politics are all the same and are found in the Koran. Deception, lies, deceit are commanded by Islam to reach their goal of world domination.------------There's a lot more---I'll just see how this is received and where it may go.

Muslims hate Americans and our religions, but they love the freedom our great nation provides them. They expect this country to accomodate them and their beliefs and WE DO! I'm tired of it. They love Islam so much but leave their own homelands to come here.

And how about the Muslim cab driver who ran down the Vanderbilt students in Nashville yesterday after an argument over RELIGION?? A Muslim cab driver, a Catholic passenger and a Christian passenger and it ends up with the passengers being run down like dogs by the Muslim because the driver doesn't agree with their faiths. God help us.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM

431 posts, read 393,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Catholics believe in Jesus Christ. That makes them Christians. Maybe they aren't like your "brand" of Christians, but they are Christians. What's more, Catholics are the leading brand of Christian and have more followers than any other Christian group.

This is the same argument I was having above about branding all the Muslims the same even though many of them believe in different things.
Most agnostics/atheists believe in Jesus. Does that make them a Christian? No! Believing that Jesus was a man and walked the Earth is a lot different than believing Jesus is the Son of God and was sent to Earth to die for our sins. Your logic is flawed, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
And how about the Muslim cab driver who ran down the Vanderbilt students in Nashville yesterday after an argument over RELIGION?? A Muslim cab driver, a Catholic passenger and a Christian passenger and it ends up with the passengers being run down like dogs by the Muslim because the driver doesn't agree with their faiths. God help us.
What about all the Sikhs who have been attacked in this country by Christians simply because people don't understand their religion and confuse it with Islam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam