Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:18 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,958,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

The Muslim and Christian theologies are certainly quite different on many points, but to claim that Muslims are worshipping a pagan moon god just isn't true. They are worshiping the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the same as Christians and Jews.
Show us the proof to back your statement Mark S. that Allah is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 11:21 AM

22,847 posts, read 28,076,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Show us the proof to back your statement Mark S. that Allah is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Go to Google and type in "History of Islam." You'll get more info than you can read in a day. A search on Amazon.com probably wouldn't hurt either.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Go to Google and type in "History of Islam." You'll get more info than you can read in a day. A search on Amazon.com probably wouldn't hurt either.
No, I've done my research exhaustively. I want to know a simple answer. What is the proof?
I was able to show why Allah is not Yahweh. Are you able to counter that?

Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,054,239 times
MoMark, the Muslims claim descendency through Ismael.

There was a wonderful article in Time Magazine sometime again (Abraham on the cover, a painting of course) drawing together all the links among the three monotheistic religions.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 AM

22,847 posts, read 28,076,526 times
Quote:
I want to know a simple answer. What is the proof?
A basic history of Islam. I am by no means a Muslim scholar, and even I understand the basics of the history of the religion. The teachings of Muhammed are based very heavily in in the Judeo-Christian religion. Did other things influence them? Yeah, maybe. But the roots of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are the same. The roots. Not the trunk and certainly not the branches, much less the fruit, but the three faiths share a common heritage, just as the faiths of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhism do.

Quote:
I was able to show why Allah is not Yahweh.
No, you really weren't. You made a semantic argument, not a theological or historic one. The origin of the word "Allah" may well have pagan roots, but so does the word "God." Even "lord" originally had a more political than religious meaning. Even "Yahweh" is not an accurate representation of the tetragrammaton.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:39 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,054,239 times
Occasionally, Mark S and ontheroad agree!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM

172 posts, read 308,789 times
As I have stated, the word/name Allah is a contraction of Al-ilah. Ilah is the Arabic form of the Hebrew word Eloah.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

No, you really weren't. You made a semantic argument, not a theological or historic one. The origin of the word "Allah" may well have pagan roots, but so does the word "God." Even "lord" originally had a more political than religious meaning. Even "Yahweh" is not an accurate representation of the tetragrammaton.
Well, actually it was theological as well.
Answer this:
Is the God of the Bible a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and is Jesus the Son, therefore God according to the Bible?

Does Allah have a Son? Is he Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Is Jesus also God/Allah in Islam?

If the first answer is yes and the second is no, then you cannot be referring to the same God.
I don't dispute that Islam originally had elements of Judaism and Christianity in it or that Muhammed wasn't influenced by the Jewish scriptures, but taking parts to create a new faith doesn't mean that the resulting religion is the same as the ones borrowed from. Nor does logic demand that it is.
The god Muhammed worshipped has characteristics of being that do not correspond to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
If the God of the Bible is Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit, then it cannot follow that Allah is the same god as the Koran calls those who believe that God is a Father or has a Son "perverts" und "unbelievers" und unequivacally states that Allah has no Son!!
It's simple logic Mark S.
No one in their right mind would dispute that Islam didn't draw heavily from the Torah and Christian scripture, but it's clear that the god Muhammed conceived and invented is not the same God of the scriptures he borrowed pieces from.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM

172 posts, read 308,789 times
How is it clear? You're evidently a scholar of Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic? What about Greek and Latin? You're fully verse in those languages too. You must be, to be such an authority on which god is which.

Lord help us!!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishan View Post
How is it clear? You're scholar of Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic? What about Greek and Latin? You're fully verse in those languages too. You must be, to be such an authority on which god is which.

Lord help us!!
The good thing about being a mere human Elishan is having the god-given talent to use one's brain as in logic and reasoning.

Your statement is about as relevant to the issue as saying that you need to understand biology, botany and natural sciences to differentiate between an apple and an orange.
What! you aren't an expert in biology, botany, and natural sciences???? How on earth can you then dare to say an apple is not an orange!
Scandalous.

I'm certainly willing to debate, but making a ridiculous statement so bereft of value isn't helpful Elishan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam