Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
"Carpe Diem" and " First do no Harm" sums it up pretty much. Seize the day, try to tread as lightly upon the earth as you can , try to be as good a person as you can be, be as happy as you can without impinging upon other's happiness, try to realise your full potential, stand up for what you believe in and against what you believe is wrong. To Love and be Loved. To respect and hopefully inspire a modicum of respect in return.

I try to take people as they are, and to accept that not everyone is me. We all think and believe different things and I try very hard to respect that ( as long as others people's beliefs are not harmful or damaging ).

I am a pessimist at heart and yet try my very hardest to see the best in people and still have enough idealism to carry me through my darkest moods and hours.

Basically I hope to be as moral and decent a human being as I can and when I fail I do try to accept full responsibility for my actions.

I believe our purpose in life as human beings is to embrace our humanity in all its polychrome forms and to always push for better not only for myself but for others.

I would like to believe we are here on this earth to seek understanding and knowledge in all its forms and to allow the wonders our human brain to fully develop is to grasp our vast and complex Universe in all its Myriad of facets.

We are here to do justice to ourselves by allowing common sense , reason and logic to guide us always without shutting out our emotions and finer feelings too. Never to allow injustice and wrongs to be perpetrated in your name and to stand up for those who cannot. To be the voice of the silenced if needs be .

I see my humanity as inextricably linked to others and I would like to see a document pertaining to a "Declaration of Human Duties" similar to the one we have for Human Rights.

I am weak and I often stumble and fail but I hope I will never relinquish my ideals because anything else is a betrayal of my deepest beliefs.

I find comfort in them and they carry me through.
Wow Mooseketeer, well said ! You summed up my exact feelings so much better than I could have in a few paragraphs.

Posts like this give me hope that our world will be a better place in the future. There is so much hateful dogma, hateful people, greed and materialism in our world, it's just so refreshing to know there are others who feel like I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL SERHANE View Post
What is your purpose in life? What is the rationale behind our life?
I don't believe there is a physical/universal purpose in our lives. We're born, we live, and we die. In between birth and death, we learn, grow, and follow our dreams. We define our own purpose, our own reasoning however it suits us the best, to give us reason to live. To each, it's an individual journey of live, if you must have a purpose to define your own existence, it is yours and yours only.

Quote:
Why do we live in this life? .
Do we have a choice of not living in this life? You have no choice to be born, and once you are, you're gone on living.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I'd have to say the basic purpose is to propagate the species.

Other than that, the extra time might be put toward trying to propagate the specie.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
My one true and ultimate purpose is to live until I die.

Anything above and beyond that is a bonus.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
What is your purpose in life?
What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life? These questions frequently intrigue people who try to find accurate answers.

To glorify God, my creator.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
To glorify God, my creator.
Amen! I agree with this answer

Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,800 times
thank you

[CENTER][CENTER]Worshipping Allah as an Aim[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of life that he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.
The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life, whether he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.
Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaningful, especially within the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is just a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The boundary between the first and second life is the death stage, which is a transitory stage to the second life. The type of life in the second stage a person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end of the death stage comes the day of judgment. On this day, Allah rewards or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life

Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM

373 posts, read 256,806 times
My purpose in life is to know God, love God and serve God.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by favoured View Post
My purpose in life is to know God, love God and serve God.
very good

but how do you serve God

Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
What is your purpose in life?
What is the rationale behind our life? Why do we live in this life? These questions frequently intrigue people who try to find accurate answers.

You can see from my status that I feel the purpose of life is to learn from all of our experiences and understand that everything that happens to us, happens for a reason. What reason? For us to grow in our understanding of exactly what we need to learn. I think that in order for this understanding to take place one has to realize that our purpose is not simply to live the best life possible, as most people in America would define that sort of life as having the most money, etc.

The interesting thing to me is that the learning is optional, and that the events that shape our life, both consciously and unconscioulsly don't have to impart any knowledge by themselves, we have to actively search for our meaning in our lives.

I have traveled to many parts of the world and found that the richest people I have ever met have typically been the ones that have suffered quite a bit and yet have learned to accept their "suffering" as a gift. From whom, that is up to each individual to figure out.

Perhaps one needs to learn humility, another to forgive, another to see others as we would want to be seen, and yet another compassion.

The hard part is that we typically learn from both our mistakes and the "bad" things that happen our way. I have come to learn that "bad" when it helps us grow our understanding is actually good, and that "good" isn't necessarily so.

Interesting topic. There are many books on the subject, however I feel that books are like menus, they describe the meal but aren't the actual meal.

Dig in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam