Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 AM

4,493 posts, read 6,297,533 times

Advertisements

This story has been on the news here in Australia tonight. I find this absolutely outrageous.....

Telstra BigPond News and Weather (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2009/01/22/PM_demands_apology_from_Muslim_cleric_297055.html - broken link)

Basically it says that a Muslim cleric has been telling his followers that it is perfectly acceptable to hit your wife if she is disobedient. He also states that there is no such thing as rape in marriage, that the man has the right to demand sex whenever he wishes.Even against her will.

I would like to know if this is extreme or common practice within the Muslim community. Is this something that a large number of Muslim men agree with?

Are stories like this planted in the media to whip up controversy? Is there a hidden agenda to incite hatred of Muslims throughout the Western world by focusing on extremist comments like this?

I know that that is a lot of questions but they all came to my mind while watching and reading this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,042,849 times
This oughta be fun.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,865,085 times
It's unfortunate that men like this and Sheikh Hilali are able to garner the media attention they do and I cannot help but wonder what purpose it serves other than to create disharmony.

Frankly with views such as the ones expressed in this article I would say that Abu Ham-za should return to his country of origin if he's not prepared to follow the laws of the land he calls home. I'd love to see him speak out against the laws in his country of birth and see how far he got. I'm quite sure there are heinous penalties for doing so. Here he'll get a nice slap on the wrist, embarass all the upstanding Muslim Australians that have been here peacefully and law abiding for decades and stir up a hornets nest amongst those who are easily swayed by such blatant **** stirring. It's like the Muslim version of Paris Hilton for media coveting. All talk, no substance. Famous for being controversial.

It's offensive to those of us that live here both Muslim and non-Muslim alike. Follow the law of the land or get out. No need to bring your crappy baggage with you.

Just some thoughts from a sick and tired athiest.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
Surprise, surprise, surprise....

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's unfortunate that men like this and Sheikh Hilali are able to garner the media attention they do and I cannot help but wonder what purpose it serves other than to create disharmony.

Frankly with views such as the ones expressed in this article I would say that Abu Ham-za should return to his country of origin if he's not prepared to follow the laws of the land he calls home. I'd love to see him speak out against the laws in his country of birth and see how far he got. I'm quite sure there are heinous penalties for doing so. Here he'll get a nice slap on the wrist, embarass all the upstanding Muslim Australians that have been here peacefully and law abiding for decades and stir up a hornets nest amongst those who are easily swayed by such blatant **** stirring. It's like the Muslim version of Paris Hilton for media coveting. All talk, no substance. Famous for being controversial.

It's offensive to those of us that live here both Muslim and non-Muslim alike. Follow the law of the land or get out. No need to bring your crappy baggage with you.

Just some thoughts from a sick and tired athiest.

Isn't he just saying what the koran teaches?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,865,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Isn't he just saying what the koran teaches?
Not that I'm aware of, not that I've read it. Seemingly thousands of Muslims have managed to live good productive lives without feeling the need to rape or beat their wives and I'm quite sure they're good Muslims that follow the Koran.

Actually that his comments have even made it to the media in the first place makes one wonder just how many of the men present during his "lecture" actually agreed with him if someone has "tipped off" the media to his comments.

The Bible has a whole bunch of stories about beheading people and turning them to salt but I don't see too many Christians taking that literally.

Supposing it is the teachings of the Koran for all good muslims to beat and rape their wives then they need to understand that in this country that is against the law of the land and they will be prosecuted. I don't care what excuse they use.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,899,131 times
Isn't this what the Old Testament teaches as well?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Not that I'm aware of, not that I've read it. Seemingly thousands of Muslims have managed to live good productive lives without feeling the need to rape or beat their wives and I'm quite sure they're good Muslims that follow the Koran.

Actually that his comments have even made it to the media in the first place makes one wonder just how many of the men present during his "lecture" actually agreed with him if someone has "tipped off" the media to his comments.

The Bible has a whole bunch of stories about beheading people and turning them to salt but I don't see too many Christians taking that literally.

Supposing it is the teachings of the Koran for all good muslims to beat and rape their wives then they need to understand that in this country that is against the law of the land and they will be prosecuted. I don't care what excuse they use.

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all)," (4:34)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Isn't this what the Old Testament teaches as well?

Nope. In any event, any quote you pull out of context to quote was written to Jews living in the desert 3000-4000 years ago under a different covenant, in a different culture.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the koran has different "testaments", where things were allowed or tolerated at one point for certain people, then disallowed. That's why we see muslim countries as largely third-world countries living under sharia law.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,899,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
"
Nope. In any event, any quote you pull out of context to quote
Look again, I didn't quote anything.

Quote:
...was written to Jews living in the desert 3000-4000 years ago under a different covenant, in a different culture.
Oh, so that makes it all okay. I get it.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Look again, I didn't quote anything.
Didn't say you did.
Quote:

Oh, so that makes it all okay. I get it.

Context is everything. You might find the meaning changes a lot based on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam