Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRanger View Post
He is what makes Christianity superior to Islam.
A Muslem would say that the prophet Muhammad makes Islam superior.

Same thing. Different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:54 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Funky speaks the truth! In my former church they stongly advised against learning about any other religions, even other branches of christian doctrine because it could cause us to become decieved. I was told that I was sinning for just THINKING and QUESTIONING things outside of that church!
Wow. That's scary. I have always been taught to study what others believe so I can discuss the Bible with them, and know where they are coming from. We should always question anything men teach.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Funky speaks the truth! In my former church they stongly advised against learning about any other religions, even other branches of christian doctrine because it could cause us to become decieved. I was told that I was sinning for just THINKING and QUESTIONING things outside of that church!
Yeah the same thing happened to me when I was 7 years old. I was asking too many questions at church and they couldn't answer them well, and they became angry with me. They actually punished me for asking them questions about other religions and "questioning the Bible". They made me write sentences, hold books over my head, do cleaning chores, it was pure brainwashing and behavior modification on an impressionable young kid. But I was wise enough to see it for what it was.

So I chose to go seperate ways with the religion at age 8.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Yeah the same thing happened to me when I was 7 years old. I was asking too many questions at church and they couldn't answer them well, and they became angry with me. They actually punished me for asking them questions about other religions and "questioning the Bible". They made me write sentences, hold books over my head, do cleaning chores, it was pure brainwashing and behavior modification on an impressionable young kid. But I was wise enough to see it for what it was.

So I chose to go seperate ways with the religion at age 8.
Who is they? Your parents?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Who is they? Your parents?
"They" is the priests, supervisors and teachers at the church.

My parents let me choose my own religious beliefs.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Same here...I was taught that all the others would burn in hell and ours was the one true religion....I think they are all the same in those teachings...What a way to pollute a child's mind!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
"They" is the priests, supervisors and teachers at the church.

My parents let me choose my own religious beliefs.
Again, scary stuff. Sorry that happened to you.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:46 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
It's because the tenets of thier religion cannot stand up to close scrutiny when compared to Christianity.
I don't think that is true. Frankly many things in the Bible are discussed in the Quran.

Like which tenets are you referring to, anyway? Belief in God, belief in the angels, belief in judgment day, the scriptures, the prophets?

Quote:
Jesus.
Well, who can argue with that?

You do know, by the way, that Jesus is a highly revered prophet in Islam? So, Islam "has" Jesus too.

Muslims must earn their way into heaven through their good deeds, and all their bad deeds will count against them.

Christianity sounds much easier if you ask me, accept Jesus and that he died for your sins and go to heaven? It does sound like an attractive offer.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
That is true. I know a group of women I used to work with many, many years ago was literally appalled and even scared because I told them I would read palms for free beer in my college days. They thought it 'witchy'.
Also, I have heard of christian sects warning its members against yoga for some reason.

But to be fair, I don't know of any christian sect that will kill a person for converting to another faith.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Again, scary stuff. Sorry that happened to you.
It's very normal. I think the vast majority of Christian churches operate this way.

As a young kid I went to 3 different Christian churches. And they all used scare tactics and powerful brainwashing techniques on me and the rest of the young kids. Some Churches were more strict than others, but they all used fear to control us.

And most of the kids followed the Bibles word out of pure fear. Fear of breaking the rules, fear of punishment by adults, fear of going to hell after death, fear of angering God and Jesus. These kids were not old enough to think very logically yet, so they just soaked it all up like a sponge. I still remember how many of those kids genuinely feared God.

Fear is drilled into the minds of young kids in Christian churches. It's all rather twisted really. I can see why some adults are such overzealous Christians with the kind of indoctrination that goes on in these places.

I began to dread going to church. Even at that age, I could see how they were using fear to control our minds, and indoctrinate us. So I began to rebel against it.

My parents and school teachers were all very laid back. Then I would go to church, and it was an assualt of fear tactics, punshments, indoctrination and other BS.

And when I stopped going to church, I felt such a huge feeling of happiness, liberation and freedom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam