Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM

166 posts, read 442,971 times

Advertisements

Qu'ran 3:106 says:

"On the Day [some] faces will turn white and [some] faces will turn black. As for those whose faces turn black, [to them it will be said], "Did you disbelieve after your belief? Then taste the punishment for what you used to reject."

What I want to know is why any person of color would become a Muslim following Islam? You can't interpret that any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
It has nothing to do with racial pigmentation.

It is about some faces will be dark with sorrow others will be bright with happiness,

Three other translations that might be clearer.

3:106 (Asad) on the Day [of Judgment] when some faces will shine [with happiness] and some faces will be dark [with grief]. And as for those with faces darkened, [they shall be told:] "Did you deny the truth after having attained to faith? Taste, then, this suffering for having denied the truth!"

3:106 (Y. Ali) On the Day when some faces will be (lit up with) white, and some faces will be (in the gloom of) black: To those whose faces will be black, (will be said): "Did ye reject Faith after accepting it? Taste then the penalty for rejecting Faith."

3:106 (Picktall) On the day when (some) faces will be whitened and (some) faces will be blackened; and as for those whose faces have been blackened, it will be said unto them: Disbelieved ye after your (profession of) belief? Then taste the punishment for that ye disbelieved.

It is usually advisable for a non-Muslim to read Tafsir (Commentaries) as many words in Arabic are not used quite like they would be used in English. Colors are often used as terms of emotion Generally the color white (Brightness) denotes happiness Black (Darkness) denotes sadness.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It has nothing to do with racial pigmentation.

It is about some faces will be dark with sorrow others will be bright with happiness,

Three other translations that might be clearer.

3:106 (Asad) on the Day [of Judgment] when some faces will shine [with happiness] and some faces will be dark [with grief]. And as for those with faces darkened, [they shall be told:] "Did you deny the truth after having attained to faith? Taste, then, this suffering for having denied the truth!"

3:106 (Y. Ali) On the Day when some faces will be (lit up with) white, and some faces will be (in the gloom of) black: To those whose faces will be black, (will be said): "Did ye reject Faith after accepting it? Taste then the penalty for rejecting Faith."

3:106 (Picktall) On the day when (some) faces will be whitened and (some) faces will be blackened; and as for those whose faces have been blackened, it will be said unto them: Disbelieved ye after your (profession of) belief? Then taste the punishment for that ye disbelieved.

It is usually advisable for a non-Muslim to read Tafsir (Commentaries) as many words in Arabic are not used quite like they would be used in English. Colors are often used as terms of emotion Generally the color white (Brightness) denotes happiness Black (Darkness) denotes sadness.
I agree with this. That surah isn't racial at all - it's about standing at that end of your life in front of Allah. If you lived a good and virtuous life, you will be accepted in Janna (Heaven/Paradise), but if you haven't... then your face will darken with grief.

And Woodrow is right about the Arabic.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:23 PM

Then it needs to be re-worded, because of the way it reads if sounds very racial. I never did care for black always referred to as depressing, anger, and all the other negative connected to the word. Just like what is light, and good yadda, yadda. I always found black reminding me of night, being peaceful, and quite. I love night.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Then it needs to be re-worded, because of the way it reads if sounds very racial. I never did care for black always referred to as depressing, anger, and all the other negative connected to the word. Just like what is light, and good yadda, yadda. I always found black reminding me of night, being peaceful, and quite. I love night.
While translations can be updated, the Actual Qur'an has to remain unchanged. But I agree the translations do need updating. Most Non-Muslims do not read Arabic. Many of the English translations are based upon the Elizabethan English used by Pickthall and Ali. Very outdated

In French the Arabic translatees to:

3:106 (French) Au jour où certains visages s'éclaireront, et que d'autres s'assombriront. A ceux dont les visages seront assombris (il sera dit): "avez-vous mécru après avoir eu la foi?" Eh bien, goûtez au châtiment, pour avoir renié la foi.

Which in English is

On the day when some faces will light , and that others will dim . To those whose faces will be darkened ( it will be said ) : " Did you disbelieve after your faith? " Then taste the punishment for rejecting Faith .

A much better translation.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Now that sounds better!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Now that sounds better!
It is also much closer to the connotation the ayyat imparts to an Arabic Understanding Muslim. For some reason French comes much closer to the actual meanings than English does.

There is a definite need for better English translations.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:16 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,667,745 times
O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female
and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another.
Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you.
Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. The Holy Quran 49.13

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
There is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab,
or of a non-Arab over an Arab,
or of a white man over a black man,
or of a black man over a white man, except in terms of taqwa. (most righteous)
The people are from Adam, and Adam is from dust.”

Old 06-30-2015, 02:04 AM

282 posts, read 298,154 times
or your question should be : Why muslims accept Islam despite most of them are colored and Arabs mainly are colored ?

my own explanation, when someone does smth wrong or shameful, what his face will look like? Bright or dark ?

I think what I understand from that verse is that " wrong doer's face will turn to dark no matter what was the original skin color, and that will be a result for what he/she has done? "

also, if you want to get inside understanding for Islam and its laws, you should take a look into other Qruan verses and speeches of prophet Mohammad peace be upon him.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), during his Last Sermon in Minâ, said: “O people! Your Lord is one Lord, and you all share the same father. There is no preference for Arabs over non-Arabs, nor for non-Arabs over Arabs. Neither is their preference for white people over black people, nor for black people over white people. Preference is only through righteousness.” Then he said: “Have I conveyed the message?” and the people declared that he had. [Musnad Ahmad (22391)]

Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female
and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another.
Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you.
Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. The Holy Quran 49.13

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) said,
There is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab,
or of a non-Arab over an Arab,
or of a white man over a black man,
or of a black man over a white man, except in terms of taqwa. (most righteous)
The people are from Adam, and Adam is from dust.”
The Last Sermon (Khutbah) of Prophet Muhammad (Farewell Sermon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam