Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

I have to ask why is it that some of the most politically liberal individuals will defend Islam by bashing christianity. These same politicially liberal individuals fiercely defend gay rights. So they defend gay rights and they defend a religion that calls for the death or prison sentence of gays if caught in many muslim nations. What's wrong with this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I have to ask why is it that some of the most politically liberal individuals will defend Islam by bashing christianity. These same politicially liberal individuals fiercely defend gay rights. So they defend gay rights and they defend a religion that calls for the death or prison sentence of gays if caught in many muslim nations. What's wrong with this situation?
It is because they depise Chrisitianity so much (the world in which they struggle against [Judeo / Christian world] and Islam seems -over there) that when Christians expose Isalm they will defend it just to spite Christianty - and probably subconsciously. IMHO. They feel anything Christianity attacks is good because Christianity is so evil and backward.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What's wrong with this situation?

I don't know; that its generalizing and anecdotal?

I know lots of liberals who think both are crazy things to follow.

Personally I think Islamic extremist dogma needs to be rooted out. Along with those Christians who blow up abortion clinics. Same difference.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
It is because they depise Chrisitianity so much (the world in which they struggle against [Judeo / Christian world] and Islam seems -over there) that when Christians expose Isalm they will defend it just to spite Christianty - and probably subconsciously. IMHO. They feel anything Christianity attacks is good because Christianity is so evil and backward.
Nicely put.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I don't know; that its generalizing and anecdotal?

I know lots of liberals who think both are crazy things to follow.

Personally I think Islamic extremist dogma needs to be rooted out. Along with those Christians who blow up abortion clinics. Same difference.
Over on the politics board liberals will almost always defend Islam by attacking Christianity. Over in UC Berkeley, some conservative students burned the flags of muslim terrorist organizations. The university tried to punish the students. They eventually backed down on the punishment only because they'd be shown as hypocrites for punishing these students for burning these flags while doing nothing to liberal students who burn the American flag.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I consider myself fairly liberal and I don't really understand it either. And let's not forget that one doesn't have to be an atheist just because one is liberal. There are liberal Christians and liberal Muslims. Personally, I have a problem with radical extremists no matter what their religion. And I have no problems with those who are peaceful and reasonable, no matter what their religion. It's fairly simple.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I consider myself fairly liberal and I don't really understand it either. And let's not forget that one doesn't have to be an atheist just because one is liberal. There are liberal Christians and liberal Muslims. Personally, I have a problem with radical extremists no matter what their religion. And I have no problems with those who are peaceful and reasonable, no matter what their religion. It's fairly simple.
That's how I see it. I don't defend Islam, necessarily, but I do support protection of their religion to be practiced as they see fit AS LONG AS (and this is a big one) they assimilate into the culture in which they live and don't put pressure on anyone else to believe as they do.

I don't think ALL Muslims/Islamists are terrorists, just as I don't think ALL Christians are like Fred Phelps. I do think everyone should be able to practice their religion (or non-religion) of choice as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others who may not believe the same way.

That said, I still think religion is silly and based on myths... but that's only my opinion. Don't force me to be a Christian/Jew/Muslim and I won't force you to be a non-believer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam