Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

The recent Ft. Hood carnage, and the new disclosures that the Muslim Major Hasan had contact with his mosque, and perhaps had some fundamentalist and radical thoughts, feeds the growing distrust and suspicions that most non-Muslim Americans have towards that religion.

Fort Hood Carnage Blamed On Homegrown Radical Islamic Extrem... - Care2 News Network

In the historical past, Christianity took aim at Islam with the Crusades. In America, many immigrants fled here following religious persecution in Europe, but were primarily Judeo-Christian, essentially Abrahamic. I'm not up at all on the percentage of Muslims that also immigrated here in the early part of the 20th century. Perhaps a reader or two can enlighten me and others.

The Qu'Ran does, however, provide specific rather hostile and intolerant verses that seem to support and enflame our superstitions. Right now, on NPR, they are hosting an individual who says that those inflammatory verses that are quoted so often have been taken out of context. So why not make a formal announcmeent to the population, via trusted Muslim leaders, that these verses do not apply to modern Western society, and that tolerant, freedom-loving Muslims do not agree with them?

I also wonder why the conservative, peaceful American Muslim community seems to not want to "police" it's own, essentially turning in those who are discovered to be fomenting open revolt or conspiracy aimed at the country that has so openly and tolerantly taken them in.

Can you imagine a member of a Christian congregation whispering in your ear: "We're really not happy with the American system of government, and you seem to be a kindred spirit. Why don't you join us tonight over at "Harry's" house, where we'll discuss bombing some government building in order to kill a few thousand innocent atheists and their children??"

Would you, or would you not, turn them in to the FBI? Apparently the Muslim community openly knows of such types, and yet lets them run unchecked. Those types appear to be considered heros within Islam. Maybe I'm wrong; show me.

In Canada, there has been a vocal and political demand for adoption of the Shari'a laws within the Islamic community.

International Campaign Against Shari'a Court in Canada

The Canadian Federal RCMP police have given in to allowing Hindu and Muslim recruits to modify the long-time uniform to incorporate religious dress items, including the "dirk" knife concealed under their clothing and turbans. If, however, I do that, I get myself arrested.

In France, Islamic women marched and essentially pounded the ground in demand of being allowed to wear their veil headwear wherever they wished, with no requirement to ever remove it. They did not wish to unveil even for passport photos or ID checks. Hmmmm. On that basis, Osama bin Laden could wander in to O'Hare Airport, poised as a Muslim grandmother!

CBC News - World - Opposition mounts to French ruling against Muslim woman

In the Netherlands, militant Muslims have attempted to subvert or modify local permitting constraints in order to allow the construction of many mosques where there perhaps should be none. A famous Dutch cartoonist was threatened with death for an anti-Islam political cartoon. hey; we did it all the time with "monkey-man" George Bush, no? Nice! The Dutch are now openly ruing the day they were so open with their immigration laws.

Political pundits do make more of these events and causes than they perhaps deserve, but in the end, we tend to settle in and watch the Alphabet Evening News and assume that those talking heads invariably.

This does not bode well for the Islamic religion here, if it's seen to be, and presented by the media as, a devisive and hostile force. If it's seen to be a growing and verbal "contaminant" to the long-held cultural viewpoint that we're a lovely, "truth and love" society of Anglo-Saxon Christians, then there will eventually be fighting in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 AM

65 posts, read 93,091 times
I don't think we can, no.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I know a few moderate Muslims... and they're good people.

I want to believe most Muslims are like them, honest hard working good people who denounce evil very loudly. Unfortunately with all these new revelations coming to light about Muslims I am starting to distrust the majority of them.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I suspect that islam is to be trusted just as much as we can trust any religion. I trust they will collect money tax-free, they will build grand buildings, they will spout copious words, and do very little except blow their own horn and convince the masses that the clergy and their requisite religions are needed.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Rifleman, the US can explore the Euro way. Keep defanging Christianity and empower Islam in the process

I guess it's already headed that way. Every statistics geek knows Islam is the fastest growing religion. The ACLU and the like will be happy to serve as the catalyst.

We have a happy chemical reaction.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
NO . . . absolutely not. As long as Israel exists . . . the jihad of war/defense is in effect. Every Muslim receives credits with Allah for every act of jihad whether or not they were involved. They also get credit with Allah during this time for every act of deception they are able to perpetrate on the infidels (that's the rest of us) to further the goals of Allah and jihad.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
We can't trust any dogmatic doctrine. Islam is especially dangerous because they have a huge base of individuals who can not, and will not be reasoned with and have no problem doing horrendous acts if they thought their god told them too do it.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
So... and I'm just speculating here mind you, in the [future] words of a now-dead George Patton, "Nuke 'Em till They Glow" might be the passionate answer to all of this? Save ourselves some predictable future troubles, and get 'em before they git's us with their dirty bombs?

Just speculating and asking others' opinions.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
As much as the east can trust the christian world.

Now what does that tell us? See a common thread here? The distrust, the hatred, the desire to eradicate the other from the face of the planet.

And it is all based on a belief in deities that no one can produce any evidence at all to support their existence. My imaginary friend can beat up your imaginary friend. Oh wait, they don't exist, so the next step is my belief in my imaginary friend can kill your belief in your imaginary friend, and to accomplish that I want to kill you.

What a mess!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
It's obvious that we can't trust the extremists in Islam. What bothers me is that I never hear moderate Muslims criticize acts of terrorism, even in America. I suspect that in many hard core Muslim nations it might be very dangerous to do that but I hear very little from American Muslims even though they seem to have adapted to American society much better than European Muslims have adapted to society in nations like France or Britain. It also concerns me that we seem to be getting more home grown fanatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam