Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times

Advertisements

One factor to look at is that Shi'ites makes up about 10% of all Muslims. Nearly 1/2 of the worlds's Shi'a live in Iran.

There are not very many of them, they are pretty much all located in one area of the world.

They probably have the same percentage of Terrorists who misuse the name Muslim. But, because there are only about 1/10 as many Shi'a as there are Sunni they will account for only about 1/10 as many terrorists.

It is hard to identify what Labels a group as terroristic. One man's terrorist is another man's Freedom fighter.

But to name just 3 Shi'a groups that the US army calls terrorist we have:

Quote:
The top US general in Iraq has identified the three main Shia terror groups in Iraq that are backed by Iran. General Ray Odierno said Iran continues to back the League of the Righteous (or Asaib al Haq), the Mahdi Army spin-off Promise Day Brigade, and the Hezbollah Brigades (or Kataib Hezbollah).
I do not pass judgement on them. Just pointing out there are Shi'a groups some non-Shi'a consider to be terrorists.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Corrected this line: "Nearly 1/2 of the worlds's Muslims live in Iran." to read Shi'a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
One factor to look at is that Shi'ites makes up about 10% of all Muslims. Nearly 1/2 of the worlds's Muslims live in Iran.

There are not very many of them, they are pretty much all located in one area of the world.

They probably have the same percentage of Terrorists who misuse the name Muslim. But, because there are only about 1/10 as many Shi'a as there are Sunni they will account for only about 1/10 as many terrorists.

It is hard to identify what Labels a group as terroristic. One man's terrorist is another man's Freedom fighter.

But to name just 3 Shi'a groups that the US army calls terrorist we have:

I do not pass judgement on them. Just pointing out there are Shi'a groups some non-Shi'a consider to be terrorists.
Ok,they're considered as terrorists according to whom? A US General...yeah right I believe him,and BTW did you hear any news about the WMD in Iraq,or Iran might have taken them before the US arrives?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanOfBaghdad View Post
Ok,they're considered as terrorists according to whom? A US General...yeah right I believe him,and BTW did you hear any news about the WMD in Iraq,or Iran might have taken them before the US arrives?
The point being it is mostly the world Media who labels any group as terrorists. Like I said in my post, one man's terrorist is another man's Freedom fighter.

I just pointed out there are Shi'a groups some people call terrorists.

As to if any groups are terrorists is basically a judgement call.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The point being it is mostly the world Media who labels any group as terrorists. Like I said in my post, one man's terrorist is another man's Freedom fighter.

I just pointed out there are Shi'a groups some people call terrorists.

As to if any groups are terrorists is basically a judgement call.
Alright,I do understand how media works nowadays,I was just trying to say that you cannot judge a certain group as "Terrorists" or compare it to somewhat "similar group" in the foreigner's eyes ,again,we're not the same,it's like the difference between Day and Night.

Thank you for not judging and discussing fairly,

Peace

Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanOfBaghdad View Post
Alright,I do understand how media works nowadays,I was just trying to say that you cannot judge a certain group as "Terrorists" or compare it to somewhat "similar group" in the foreigner's eyes ,again,we're not the same,it's like the difference between Day and Night.

Thank you for not judging and discussing fairly,

Peace
Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Ramatullahi wa Baraktuhu

Sadly much of the world does judge all Muslims based upon what the Media calls a terrorist.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-14-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM

[quote=Woodrow LI;30026709]Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Ramatullahi wa Baraktuhu

Sadly much of the world does judge all Muslims based upon what the Media calls a terrorist.[/QUOTE

There's no Terrorism without Media,There's no media without Terrorism...It's a good business!! For both of them of course

Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 PM

374 posts, read 509,621 times
Quote:
Sectarianism in Islam is not quite as clear cut as it is in other religions. We all follow the same pillars and believe the same Fundemental beliefs and are to see each other as Brothers and sisters of one Ummah.

However, sometimes the difference are more political than Religious. Most shi'i are Iranian. There has been a long History of violence between Iran(Persia) and the Arab world. this dates back to pre-Islamic days. there is also an issue of racism, which I am ashamed to say. The Shii are predominantly Iranian, an Aryan race not far removed from the Germans. The Arabs are predominantly Sunni and are a Semitic race. There is a large level of prejudice between Aryans and Semitics. The friction you see between Shii and Sunni in the Mideast is most often an Iranian/Arab conflict not a religious issue.

As for Terrorism percentage wise they seem to be the same between both Shi'a and Sunni. However the Shi'i compose less than 10% of the world's Muslims so their actual numbers are much lower,

The closest that the Shi'a have to an organized terrorist group would be the Twelver division, which is essentially all of Iran. They follow the Ayatoullah without question and see His fatwas as being commandments. The level of terrorism they will actually engage in will depend on the Ayatoullah.

Who are the ones under Assad, I forgot the name of the nation? Is it Syria? Are they shi or sunni? Now thats the ones our gov is trying to hand over to Muslim Brotherhood. And they are sunni,right?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Who are the ones under Assad, I forgot the name of the nation? Is it Syria? Are they shi or sunni? Now thats the ones our gov is trying to hand over to Muslim Brotherhood. And they are sunni,right?
Correct they are Sunni, both the Current Government and the Islamic Brotherhood are Sunni.

Between 85 and 90% of all Muslims are Sunni. But there is no central leader, we are all individuals and do not follow any central leadership.

The Shi'i do have a central leader which is the Ayatollah of Iran. Nearly all Shi'i are Iranian. Over half of the world's Shi'a live in Iran and Iraq. (Shi'i is the sect, Shi'a is a follower of Shi'i)

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

208 posts, read 546,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
They don't? Aren't Iranians Shiites and isn't Iran a major supporter of Hezbollah, Al-Qaeda and Hamas? And let's not forget the 1979 Iranian hostage situation. I know I haven't.

The main supporter of Al-Qaeda nowdays is the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,097 times
Shiites are more extreme because their beliefs are derived from the Shiite books Al Kafi , Bahr al anwar and the Koran of al Fatima which differs from the original version, the literature of the Shiites is far more dangerous than any Sunni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam