Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well that's assuming the Word stopped when Jesus died...I don't accept that. I also don't accept that God would create all these people and then condemn them to hell because they were of different religions.
In Matthew 7, Jesus said "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few."

Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Well that wasn't such a hostile groups of answers, I wasn't sure what to expect. And by the way, I wasn't suggesting that any babies should be killed, I was talking about babies who die from accidents or natural causes and the fact that many believe that they'll go to heaven. My question is just based on my understanding of what the Bible says will happen to people who aren't Christians and do not accept Christ. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask because once a baby becomes a child and begins to understand concepts like religion they'll reach a point when they'll be able to make decisions based on what they believe. It appears that the Bible is stating that once they pass that threshold and they've lost the innocence of childhood that they're expected to accept Christ no matter where they live and what culture they're from if they're ever going to go to heaven.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Well that wasn't such a hostile groups of answers, I wasn't sure what to expect. And by the way, I wasn't suggesting that any babies should be killed, I was talking about babies who die from accidents or natural causes and the fact that many believe that they'll go to heaven. My question is just based on my understanding of what the Bible says will happen to people who aren't Christians and do not accept Christ. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask because once a baby becomes a child and begins to understand concepts like religion they'll reach a point when they'll be able to make decisions based on what they believe. It appears that the Bible is stating that once they pass that threshold and they've lost the innocence of childhood that they're expected to accept Christ no matter where they live and what culture they're from if they're ever going to go to heaven.
I think the general position of Christians is that there is always the possibility that a child could be introduced to the truth about Jesus at some point in their life, and so the answer to your question would be "No, it's not necessarily better that they die as infants if born into a non-Christian environment." Something to bear in mind....not all people who say "Lord, Lord" will be saved.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
In Matthew 7, Jesus said "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few."
Ok whatever....again you are a literalist, I am not. I don't think God is contained on or by the pages of a book.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
Ok whatever....again you are a literalist, I am not. I don't think God is contained on or by the pages of a book.
So again, we are not to take God at His Word?
MBG

Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
So again, we are not to take God at His Word?
MBG
Like I said I don't think His Word ended with the bible. I think it belittles God to think all he intended is on the pages of one book. I think the bible is a good guide but not all encompassing. I think God is bigger than that.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,702 times
Quote:
Like I said I don't think His Word ended with the bible. I think it belittles God to think all he intended is on the pages of one book. I think the bible is a good guide but not all encompassing. I think God is bigger than that.

Maybe so, but that is what he has given us to work with until he sees fit to reveal more to us. Personally, I think it belittles God to pick and choose from his words what you like because you think something better or different will be given. God gave us the Bible as his living word to live by.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Maybe so, but that is what he has given us to work with until he sees fit to reveal more to us. Personally, I think it belittles God to pick and choose from his words what you like because you think something better or different will be given. God gave us the Bible as his living word to live by.
Ah see we do agree. I do feel that God has revealed to me through His actions in my life that I'm doing just fine with my beliefs. So yes the Bible is a guide but it's not the end of what He has to say. Look to your own experiences to find out what He has to say to you personally. I did and I'm quite happy with the answers I've found.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,702 times
youre missing my point. No I do not agree with you. You consistently refer to the bible as a good guide, but you reject its teachings. I dont get it. Perhaps this is not the thread to discuss this in though.

Last edited by brittZ; 06-13-2007 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
But you don't even believe what is written there, you do not take Him for His Word, what we know He said. If you do not believe the words in the book we know He authored how on earth can you know what is right and true?
The bible, if one is Christian is to be taken for truth, and not to be dismissed because you as a mere human disagree.
No one said God was contained wholly in a book, but the book contains His Word and what it contains you either follow and trust or you don't.

MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.