Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,900 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Jackson Mississippi. I have 4 kids one is in High School, one is in Junior High School, and 2 in Elementary School. Can anyone tell me some areas to look for a house that would be safe for us and tell me areas to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM

23 posts, read 126,064 times
stay away from downtown. madison is nice but high taxes pricey houses
brandon is nice lots of activity there.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 AM

227 posts, read 293,225 times
Stay away from Jackson. Look in Rankin or Madison county.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:32 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,914 times
The Northwest Rankin schools are excellent. Look for a home in the Reservor or Flowood area to be in that school district.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 17,425 times
i agree...stay away from jackson....i like clinton schools they are nice and i like how the system is..k-1 have own school, then 2-3 grade, then 4-5 grade then 6th has their own school, then 7-8th grade have their own, then 9th have their own, then 10-12th...that is outside of jackson...not only is clinton nice,but nw rankin, and madison schools are nice too

Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 21,105 times
I have a lot of friends livin in madison and they love the schools there
good luck and be carefull..

Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
I grew up in south Jackson in the 1960s. I left in the early 1970s but still visited my parents, who remained in south Jackson until 2002. Let me tell you about my last trip to Jackson (around 2000). While visiting my parents, I went out for my usual 6-7 mile run. My parents were afraid for me, but I thought they were overreacting. Within 100 yards of their house, I came across a drug deal. The dealers were so comfortable in what they were doing, they only stopped what they were doing for about 3 or 4 seconds as I was running by them, then they went right back to the deal. A few minutes later, I ran by my old junior high school. Near the school, there was a plywood 4x8 foot sign along the property line of two houses. The sign said, "Buy one house $12,500, get the other free." I've never seen anything like that in my life. Later that afternoon, I borrowed my father's car, and we went to rent a video a couple of miles away. I noticed the car needed gasoline, so I stopped to get gas. While pumping gas, a car came by and someone fired several rounds at someone standing near the gas station convenience store. I had my 15 year old son with me, and we both hit the ground. No one was shot, but that was enough for one day. We spent the next day in my parents' house, then left Jackson the next day. My sisters and I finally convinced my parents to give up Jackson, which they did in 2002. Long story...but...good nearly alternatives in my opinion include: Madison, Richland, Florence, Clinton, and Brandon. I spent a few days with friends in Brandon last year and really enjoyed it. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 24,779 times
I live in Clinton, MS which has less traffic than Madison or Rankin Counties. The public schools are excellent. Clinton is a college town home to Mississippi College-A Baptist University. Many of the people who live in Clinton work in education either at Mississippi College, Belhaven College, Millsaps College, or Jackson State- in addition many people live in Clinton and commute to work with the Army Corp of Engineers in Vicksburg. Clinton has an active arts community and is 15 minutes away from Downtown Jackson. Do not live in Jackson unless you can afford private schools and a security guard.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:30 AM

10 posts, read 43,313 times
Thumbs up reply to question about clinton neighborhoods around schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktrudeau View Post
I am planning on moving to Jackson Mississippi. I have 4 kids one is in High School, one is in Junior High School, and 2 in Elementary School. Can anyone tell me some areas to look for a house that would be safe for us and tell me areas to stay away from?
I have lived in Clinton(5 Miles West of Jackson) for 40 years went to school all 12 years here. Great schools . The police chief was my karate instructor
and is been on force for as long as i can remember. They are bad on speeding tickets but dont put up with any #@&*#. Great place to raise kids.If I can be of any help let me know. Self employed contractor. PGB

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-26-2007 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson