Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:47 PM

20 posts, read 64,677 times

Advertisements

I am really wanting a job desperately. What is the best school IN the Jackson School District as far as Elementary? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 PM

441 posts, read 2,105,200 times
Are you sure you want to teach in the Jackson Public Schools?? Have you done your research? I would suggest the Ridgeland or Madison school districts. I would even suggest checking into the private shools such as First Presbyterian and Madison-Ridgeland Academy. Even the Brandon-Flowood-Pearl school districts would be better than Jackson. Do your research and then get back to us.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 AM

Well I'm not going to be able to start teaching until a week after school has started. What is so bad about the Jackson school district? Is it just a really poor school? I teach early childhood... pre-k - 4th grade. Are the kids that bad?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM

356 posts, read 1,342,158 times
Default schools in Jackson

I have to agree with SashaBlue on this one. Stay away from Jackson. The city in general is dangerous. It isn't just the schools. I'm sure there are good kids in the schools, but getting to and from the school might be the most dangerous part.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:38 PM

auntbee is right, Jackson is very dangerous. All children are wonderful -- white, black, poor, rich --- but unfortunately the parents are not. I would not even want to think about what type of homes these children come from who attend the Jackson Public School system. My heart goes out to them. The city is dangerous, especially around the schools. It's too bad that Jackson is so crime ridden that it chases away wonderful teachers like yourself to surrounding schools. Check up on the JPS system and get back to us.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Well I did get a job teaching 2nd grade. So I will be teaching in JPS. I am very excited. I ahve always been interested in teaching children that really need ME. These kids are in need of someone that will reach out to them. I am that kind of person. I can make good out of bad situation! I'm really excited about it! Thanks for the posts

Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstiles View Post
Well I did get a job teaching 2nd grade. So I will be teaching in JPS. I am very excited. I ahve always been interested in teaching children that really need ME. These kids are in need of someone that will reach out to them. I am that kind of person. I can make good out of bad situation! I'm really excited about it! Thanks for the posts
That's wonderful! I wish you the best of everything!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,980 times
Smile It's not that bad

Yes, Jackson Public Schools are older and may not be updated as much as Madison or Brandon schools, however, I have taught for JPS and there are some benefits. I taught high school at Jim Hill which is in a bad part of town but I never ran into any problems and crime usually doesn't happen out there until after school lets out. JPS is the highest paying district in the Jackson area, you work a few more days per year but you also get more vacation time, and overall their spending budget is higher so they are able to give teachers more spending money and have been able to integrate technology into almost every classroom. From friends that have also taught in JPS, the elementaries are not that bad either. Just do your job and you will have no problems.
P.S. Madison and Rankin County schools are hard to get into. If that is your desire, keep applying because it is not impossible. But I think you will so fine in JPS too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson