Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times

Advertisements

Miss Yauco, to answer your question, people in Mississippi are incredibly polite, outgoing, and gracious. That's usually the first thing people notice when they come here. It really does stand out compared to other parts of the country, especially if they are not used to the relaxed way that people interact and the level of courtesy.

That said, the Jackson area is modern, diverse, very livable. You have no concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
My nephew has considered attending medical school in Jackson, Ms., which has me very concerned due to the racial violence and intolerance, he is hispanic, and although white in complexion, he is still hispanic, with the recent episode of people from Brandon, MS hunting and killing an african american, I have become extremely concerned, can someone tell me how racist and intolerant are people in Jackson...
You really should consider vacationing in Mississippi sometime.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
My nephew has considered attending medical school in Jackson, Ms., which has me very concerned due to the racial violence and intolerance, he is hispanic, and although white in complexion, he is still hispanic, with the recent episode of people from Brandon, MS hunting and killing an african american, I have become extremely concerned, can someone tell me how racist and intolerant are people in Jackson...
Is this post a joke? I mean you can't be serious.
And if you are, you should get more information from the south other than "Dukes of Hazard" reruns.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
So, we've had one post that there's nothing wrong with being hunted down as long as you have a good attitude about. Now we have someone claiming that the stories from the civil rights era are mostly embellished. Why, modern Mississippi is a bastion of enlightened thinking!
You are making extensions of other postings that go beyond the point of being ludicrous - no one made your claims, in detail, substance, or suggestion. I am not sure of your agenda, but it doesn't belong here. We can deal with the OP and set her straight. But you apparantly have some other off topic issues - trolling comes to mind.
We are both long timers here - conduct yourself accordingly.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Our daughter is currently attending the medical school in Jackson. Her class is very diverse, yet all the students are from Mississippi. Out-of-state students are generally not admitted.

The medical center straddles three main areas of Jackson, one of which is predominantly white and expensive, one of which is mostly black slums, and one of which is transitional--it was middle-class white twenty years ago, then fell into blight, and now it is being gentrified. It is very diverse. The Hispanic population is growing quickly, and there are churches and stores in and around the city itself that serve the Hispanic communities.

There is a lot of crime in Jackson, but not usually random as far as victims go. There are a significant number of burglaries and home invasions, but most criminals know their victims. The incident that happened with the young man from Brandon who ran down the black man was not at all typical of the kind of crime that we usually experience. I would have to say that hate crimes are among the least common of all crimes in the area. If your nephew were Indian and intending to open a corner shop in a predominantly black area, I would have different advice. The only situation that occurs with any frequency is when their stores are robbed and gunfire is exchanged.

If your nephew has any concerns, I'm sure the medical school staff would be able to address them. They have a very supportive student services staff who are dedicated to making sure that each student is able to adjust to the strain of becoming a doctor. Good luck to him!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM

187 posts, read 181,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Miss Yauco, to answer your question, people in Mississippi are incredibly polite, outgoing, and gracious. That's usually the first thing people notice when they come here. It really does stand out compared to other parts of the country, especially if they are not used to the relaxed way that people interact and the level of courtesy.

That said, the Jackson area is modern, diverse, very livable. You have no concerns.
Thanks for your reply, I've never been to MS, however I spent some time in Mobile, people were quite elegant, and polite, being from the NYC area you really appreciate when people look into your eyes smile and say good morning ....

Last edited by miss yauco; 11-06-2011 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
So, we've had one post that there's nothing wrong with being hunted down as long as you have a good attitude about. Now we have someone claiming that the stories from the civil rights era are mostly embellished. Why, modern Mississippi is a bastion of enlightened thinking!
Well, compared to Alabama, it might just be.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
The South isn't a John Grisham novel, everyone. I swear, everytime I meet some Yankee hipster and they hear my accent, it's like they automatically just assume that I must be some illiterate Klansman.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
........ being from the NYC area you really appreciate when people look into your eyes smile and say good morning ....
That explains quite a lot actually! No, we're not much like NYC. I, personally, have been there and used to go all the time on business. Here, eye contact is not considered a form of aggression. It's just the way we communicate.

We touch each other, too. A tap on the arm as we speak, a poke here and there; it's all part of body language and communication.

Bump into someone with your shopping cart at Walmart, and the common exchange is, "How ya doin'?", accompanied by a smile of apology,

A lady friend of ours tells us how she changes lanes when driving;
She just changes lanes. Then she turns her head to the left and smiles and waves 'thank you'!
An exaggeration, of course, but the message is clear, I think.

Come on down!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
What city in MS is the most safest then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson