Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 99,397 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot about how much of a problem crime is here in Jackson, but I can't seem to find anywhere mentioning specific neighbourhoods. So where exactly are the worst areas of Jackson Mississippi? Thank you

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM

137 posts, read 352,233 times
From what I remember 11 years ago, the bad areas were south jackson and west jackson. But I believe that the situation has worsen quite a bit and it's probably safe to say that pretty much all of jackson is pretty "bad".

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,953 times
The best areas within Jackson city limits are downtown, Belhaven, Fondren, Woodland Hills, Eastover, and Jackson Country Club in northeast Jackson.

The worst areas inside Jackson city limits are southwest, west, and northwest.

Everything in Rankin County, Madison County, and Clinton are good.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The best areas within Jackson city limits are downtown, Belhaven, Fondren, Woodland Hills, Eastover, and Jackson Country Club in northeast Jackson.

The worst areas inside Jackson city limits are southwest, west, and northwest.

Everything in Rankin County, Madison County, and Clinton are good.
I would call you a racist, but you completely wrote off the entire NE Jackson area except for Jackson Country Club. Not to mention areas in NW Jackson such as Woodlea, Woodhaven, and Lakeover.

I think you're just misinformed.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM

34 posts, read 181,846 times
I am not exactly sure what are the boundaries of bad areas in Jackson but you should definitely stay away from Farish Street!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
STI: ERsys - Jackson, MS (Ethnicity)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,219 times

I've done the liberty of labeling the bad parts (that should be avoided at all costs) in white.

Seriously, though, Southside Jackson and Westside Jackson aren't particularly nice. Neither is central. If you go east of I-55, towards the Reservoir, there's some nice areas. Also, the south side of the Res, out in the Brandon area, isn't bad. If you go north of the Natchez trace, you have the Madison/Ridgeland area, which is all relatively safe, middle class area. The bad parts definitely skew the crime stats of the area as a whole. My parents are currently living in Ridgeland (close to Renaissance shopping center), and they haven't once been stabbed, robbed, or shot at.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
I am not exactly sure what are the boundaries of bad areas in Jackson but you should definitely stay away from Farish Street!

Farish street isn't one of the worst areas in Jackson, partly because it is basically abandoned at this point. I have no doubt that in years past, that it had its share of drug activity and prostitution but it is largely abandoned now. So, in general, it's reputation is much worse than the actual place.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,638 times
To answer the question, the areas of Jackson that would be prone to crime are South Jackson (Terry Road, McDowell Road, Raymond Road, etc) and West Jackson (some areas off Hwy 80, West Capitol, etc). Some of the central and northern parts of the city can be rough (Bailey Ave, western part of Woodrow Wilson, western part of Northside Drive, etc.).

It is difficult to put boundaries around the issue, as not everything is bad. You could say that things tend to change when you get west of State Street. There are still good areas to the west of State Street but that is a general rule of thumb.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM

268 posts, read 743,903 times
I would stay away from anything above ground or otherwise in Jackson. And to the poster above...Ridgeland ain't Jackson, lol.
My complaints against Jackson are manifold. Far too many people with nothing to do but BE. And when you are
bored and don't have a job, you tend to find my things attractive when I am at work. Times are tough in Jackson as in most
places.

Second, they never sweep the streets and interstates. You will have a rock peck in your windshield within days of your arrival,
likely 3-4. That is weak.

There is far too much to recommend in Mississippi to ever bring up Jackson. They built a mall, thugs took it over. They built
another mall further away, thugs took it over. So they built still another mall which thugs have taken over. Sooner or later,
developers get the message. You can't have anything nice there. I will grant you that Jackson is a predominately black city,
and many of their population fall into the category I would call thug. I don't want to be near them, see them, see their drawers,
hear their music or feel their car stereos vibrating through my prostate. So I don't go there. You shouldn't either. I am sure
they are nice people. I understand the difference between dressing "in style" and being an actual scumbag. But to tell the truth,
I have no interest in digging further into their personality to find out how wrong I am. They are welcome to the city. I am sure
they will not lose sleep. I am not a hard-core racist, I just don't prefer to hang around that crowd. I cannot think of a single
thing that I am missing out on.

I later went on to read all the other replies, so I am guessing that I will get a shout out from Jackson Panther. Don't take me
totally the wrong way. It is widely known here that I sincerely believe that everyone is a racist and the percentage that say
they are not are liars. There are certainly DEGREES of racism, but it's pretty old hat to call people racists on city-data. Like
I said, you are one, I am one, we ALL PREFER to be around our own kind. It's just that simple. I lived for a long time (10 yrs)
in Meridian, very similar racial mix there. I never had a problem there, and I am on record as saying that everyone pretty much
gets along OK in Meridian. Maybe it's the size of the city that gives you such a mix of gang members, trouble makers, thieves
and general layabouts. I do not know. But you could never get me back to Jackson. And I live in freaking Memphis.

Last edited by BradfromNO; 03-20-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson