Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,237 times

Advertisements

Hi out there!

I am relocating to Jackson, MS from Chicago, IL at the beginning of 2013. I am starting now to do my homework to make this happen. I am looking for a quality, yet affordable neighborhood for lady like me. One that is good for finding employment, diversity, and economic growth for start up businesses. I am a Baby boomer (born 1960 and that's all I'm telling you) looking to rebuild a good life for myself in a community that is conducive to these things. I'm also looking for an affordable apartment as I need to save up for a house. I have very strong skills as an Administrative Assistant, I also have a background in Workforce Development as a Job Developer, and have very strong computer skills. I am looking to build a start up business once I am settled in and find stable employment. I would appreciate any thoughts on this and where I should start.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Are you committed to Jackson, or are you looking at other places, too?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM

9 posts, read 37,524 times
The Flowood area of Jackson (not far from the airport) appears to be an area-on-the-grow, if you want to investigate more. Lots of shopping, apartments, and businesses in the area. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
Trying to move out of Lousiania was thinking about moving to Florida just want out of Lousiania everything is limited far as furthering education if its not nursing you will have to drive over 2 hours for school any suggestions ???

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM

62 posts, read 145,970 times
if you're dead set on Jackson, you're best bet would be to look at Flowood (Dogwood), and Pearl. Everything here has/is moving out of Jackson and into the surrounding counties. It would be easier if we knew what type of startup you're considering.

Dogwood is a great collection of outdoor shopping. They're about to build a huge shopping center in Pearl by the Braves stadium.

Apartment will run you approximately $800-900 a month.

Madison, Flowood, Brandon, Pearl are all within a 30 minute (max) drive from north to south, with flowood in the middle.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM

62 posts, read 145,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbbc View Post
Trying to move out of Lousiania was thinking about moving to Florida just want out of Lousiania everything is limited far as furthering education if its not nursing you will have to drive over 2 hours for school any suggestions ???
Don't come to mississippi would be my only suggestion.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
If you're looking for Diversity, then Jackson-proper is perfect for you. Flowood (or anywhere in Rankin County) is the last place on Earth to move, if finding Diversity is your goal.

Jackson has hundreds of beautiful homes at great prices. Well-landscaped, well-decorated... And there are scores of well-maintained apartment communities there. Many are gated. Pools, clubhouses...

And frankly, if you have minority status, then reasonable levels of competence and certification should get you a good job in Jackson. Local colleges can provide additional degrees in nearly all fields of study. They range from Ivy-League-priced Millsaps College, to nearly-free community colleges. So, a bit of post-grad, and you could end up as a high-level administrator. You may not need to start a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson