Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 AM

41 posts, read 88,872 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to the Jackson, MS Metro Area (Ridgeland to be exact) from Chicago due to helping aid my elderly mother. She is in the late stages of Alzheimer's. At first hand people were very nice and cordial, but as the weeks progressed it seemed like I started to pick up on the fact that people never really look you in the eye. As strange as that might sound. What gives?? Also it seems hard to make friendships here for some reason. Everytime I've tried befriending someone it seems like I have to Moderator cut: language removed just to get to know them better. I don't understand the culture down here to be honest. Not trying to bash the place just would like a better understanding of why its like this? Also what can I do to better improve my chances of making friends while Im down here. Thanks.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-15-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
Also what can I do to better improve my chances of making friends while Im down here. Thanks.
- Go back in time, and graduate from JA.
- Change your last name to "Irby."

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM

41 posts, read 88,872 times
um not really sure what that really means. But its advice I guess.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I'm married to a Woodland Hills grad, so I get the reference. We're visiting from Austin, TX for a class reunion of sorts and to visit our elderly aunts who live at St. Catherine's in Madison.

Good on ya for helping your Mom...it can be quite a challenge. The folks at St. Catherine's are as nice as can be, but that's a tough job even on the best days. It's doubly difficult if you aren't trained as a caregiver. If you meet folks in similar circumstances to yours, you'll have a 'built in' bond. Not saying that's the only way to meet people, but certainly a way to get and give some support.

It ain't exactly Lake Michigan, but the 'Ross Barnett Reservoir' might offer some 'contact points' for meeting new folks. Welcome to the Ross Barnett Reservoir

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 20,077 times
To be honest, depending on your background/social status... the Ridgeland/Madison areas can be fairly "uppity". Not using that for an excuse, but it's a possibility. If you have time, trek across the reservoir to Rankin County or head around and run errands in some other suburbs. You may find an area that suites you better.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthego24 View Post
I recently relocated to the Jackson, MS Metro Area (Ridgeland to be exact) from Chicago due to helping aid my elderly mother. She is in the late stages of Alzheimer's. At first hand people were very nice and cordial, but as the weeks progressed it seemed like I started to pick up on the fact that people never really look you in the eye. As strange as that might sound. What gives?? Also it seems hard to make friendships here for some reason. Everytime I've tried befriending someone it seems like I have to just to get to know them better. I don't understand the culture down here to be honest. Not trying to bash the place just would like a better understanding of why its like this? Also what can I do to better improve my chances of making friends while Im down here. Thanks.
Go to church (not Catholic) like a holiness church or at the very least Southern Baptist (Methodists tend to be a little uppity). If that fails, buy a rifle with a scope and a deer stand so you can sit in the woods this fall and wait until a deer happens upon you and you can then shoot it down ambush style. Buy ATVs. Go to the parks and watch little Johnny or Suzy hit a ball off a tee. Whenever you get a chance, talk about how you hate the Federal government and love Nathan Bedford Forrest. Eat lots of meat.

If that's not your cup of tea, then go to gyms. Check out some of the neighborhood bars in Jackson proper like Fenians. I thought folks were generally friendly there. Grab the Jackson Free Press and look at the community events section for things to do where you might be able to meet folks.

When you greet people, say "hey y'all!" (never say y'all when referring to only one person because then people will think you're mocking their southern accent). When you're bidding people farewell, tell them to "have a blessed day."

Whatever you do, don't talk Chicago-ese.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-15-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
Yeah, also not originally being from here I can understand the sentiment. I believe it's definitely a mutlifactorial issue with the main one being ignorance that there are better ways to live. Most people here seem to have grown up here or in surrounding areas and are very clicky and believe that the world revolves around them or at least that it should. Also, they want you to like them, but they won't like you unless you can do something for them because they feel comfortable already. My best advise is to either adopt a persona that people will want to try to use you for, make friends with co-workers/church/interest group, or be satisfied with making few good relationships.

Anyways sorry to hear about your problem, but just know it's not just you! =) For the hospitality state it is somewhat ironic to have some of these issues in its largest city. Take a trip to New Orleans one weekend, it might make you feel more normal for a bit.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,514 times
Smile Keep Your Head Up!

People in the Ridgeland area have a bad rep for being materialistic and a bit snotty. There are plenty of nice people there but growing up in the Jackson area, I never really fit in well with the north Jackson/Ridgeland crowd.

As for eye contact, I would not take offense. I was taught as a child NOT to look at people in the eye because it can be perceived as a threat by some backwards people who didn't know any better.

Sounds like you are going through a difficult time-- look up the Fondren area for some better times. I used to work in that area and I really miss it. They always have things going on (festivals, shows, etc.)and are filled with specialty shops, art galleries, and some of the best restaurants in town.

Visit Brent's Pharmacy and try one of their root beer floats or take a day trip to the nearby Belhaven area and tour Eudora Welty's house. The Agriculture Museum or Lefleur's Bluff park are also very well maintained and are a major attraction in the area.

Eventually, you will find that there are many people in the Jackson area with Chicago relatives and you will find some people that you have more in common with than you could ever imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson