Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Sorry for not responding to your post earlier, 'Not Made for the South'. I had to call around for the scoop on that strip center, and even motored over and checked it out. It's a little row of stores next to the Wal Mart. The same cluster of stores tend to follow WalMart wherever it locates...like Ramoras on a Shark, I guess. The stone under the big crown mold over the columns is real slate. The columns are not plastic. They are 'Cast Stone' The arches are 'Cast Stone', too. Those pretty lanterns are almost three feet tall, and look to be hand-blown glass.

The little strip center is pretty, and offers that long shady gallery for the poor people who shop there. That's right. This is for poor people. And I'm sure it offers a much nicer experience for a carload of rural poor than similar strip developments in Hazlehurst, Brookhaven, or McComb. It looked that way to me. People seemed really happy and excited to be shopping someplace nice...someplace where there was merchandise within their reach. They didn't have to be outside looking in. They were part of the 'scene'. Empowered. Something wrong with that?

Are pretty buildings and nice landscaping supposed to be only for the rich?
If you take a piece of manure and coat in 24k gold, do you know what you get? A 24k gold plated piece of manure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Poptones, dear, I support your right to utilize fibrous plant materials in any way you see fit....as long as you stay out of Madison, and off the roads, while doing so...and for several days after doing so.

As to loud music and Junk cars in driveways....well.... I've lived in several communities where those things were illegal. But Madison is the only place where the police will actually respond to noise complaints. We left those other communities because of the noise, more than because of the other crimes. The City Council was elected by The People of Madison, and they do EXACTLY what WE want them to do. Virtually all of us moved here because the Mayor runs a tight ship.

Most of us have watched our home towns die, our Jackson neighborhoods die, and finally, the whole of Jackson die, because nobody had the chutzpah to stand up to those who ruin communities. So we take down license plate numbers and call them in, when we see aggressive driving, and we call the police when some piece of garbage who never should have been born drives through town with his car 'thumpin'. And we call the police when our neighbors' sound systems are audible within our own homes. And we are not sorry when aggressive/loud drivers are pulled over and searched. And we are not sorry when people who cannot conduct themselves appropriately get fed up and move back to Jackson.

So no, we are not living 'someone else's dream'. Most of us dreamed of someday being able to sleep all night without white noise to drown out the boom-cars, loud mufflers, and barking dogs. We dreamed of being able to sleep without waking to check the security system displays, every time we head a bump in the night. We dreamed of being able to do yard work or wash our own cars, without having to watch for roaming predators. But most of us never expected to find a community where those simple dreams would actually come true.

The pretty houses and pretty stores are just lagniappe.
Where did you live where there was so many disturbances? It sounds like you made a bad judgement call on where to live. I live in Jackson, and I have never had anyone with loud music or loud exhaust drive down my street, not while I was at home at least. Actually, most of the loud exhaust you speak of is found on the lifted trucks that the sons of rich dads drive around in places like... Madison. It sounds like you need to find a nice place out in the country (and there is nothing wrong with that).

If you want to stop by, I'll be out washing my car and cutting my grass this weekend (if it doesn't rain that is). I'm not sure what you mean by "roaming predators" but if you're talking about the leaves that are changing colors, then yes, they will be falling soon so I suppose I should be keeping an eye on them. It is nice to have mature growth trees

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
If you take a piece of manure and coat in 24k gold, do you know what you get? A 24k gold plated piece of manure.

You know, decades back, when we first moved to Jackson as newlyweds, we were warned to have absolutely nothing to do with Jackson people. The nastiness, backwardness, and just plain evil of Jacksonians is why people who had to move to the Metro for jobs started moving to Madison County, even back when Jackson was a pretty nice place (except for the people).

We've had friends from out of town ask us if we could leave nice Jackson restaurants early, because they got a really wierd vibe from the other patrons. And the predatory behavior of even the 'better' families is astonishing. It's common knowledge that the 'old' Jackson families are descendants of carpetbaggers who murdered and disposessed the real old families during reconstruction. It explains the last names, and the way their descendants behave, today.

Some old alcoholic lawyer from an 'Old Jackson' family actually grabbed my husband's no-touch zone in the shower at the gym. Our realtor was stalked, quite openly, by another prominent man. She finally moved to another state. One after another screaming Christian business associate has turned out to be a white-collar criminal. And the attitude of Jacksonians toward anyone who wants to have or be anything better than the status quo is the worst part. That's what makes our young people flee the state as soon as they are old enough to rent a U-Haul.

I'm not going to call anyone posting here a broken-down loser, or a washed-up architect, or an ignorant Yat, or a psychopath. Obviously, I can't say nice things about the town I love, without people from Jackson (and a similar 'garden spot' to the south), adding their bitter, dysfunctional, poisonous perspectives.

So, in the words of Miss Piggy,
Um, um, um, um,.....BYE! (and the smilies are really, really tacky)

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You know, decades back, when we first moved to Jackson as newlyweds, we were warned to have absolutely nothing to do with Jackson people. The nastiness, backwardness, and just plain evil of Jacksonians is why people who had to move to the Metro for jobs started moving to Madison County, even back when Jackson was a pretty nice place (except for the people).

We've had friends from out of town ask us if we could leave nice Jackson restaurants early, because they got a really wierd vibe from the other patrons. And the predatory behavior of even the 'better' families is astonishing. It's common knowledge that the 'old' Jackson families are descendants of carpetbaggers who murdered and disposessed the real old families during reconstruction. It explains the last names, and the way their descendants behave, today.

Some old alcoholic lawyer from an 'Old Jackson' family actually grabbed my husband's no-touch zone in the shower at the gym. Our realtor was stalked, quite openly, by another prominent man. She finally moved to another state. One after another screaming Christian business associate has turned out to be a white-collar criminal.
Either the "nasty Jacksonians" you speak of have passed on or they do not exist, because I have not ran across anyone like that. It does seem that it rubbed off on you a little though.

Quote:
And the attitude of Jacksonians toward anyone who wants to have or be anything better than the status quo is the worst part. That's what makes our young people flee the state as soon as they are old enough to rent a U-Haul.
According to the metro demographics, I'm significantly higher than the status quo for my age, and I consider myself fortunate rather than flaunting it in the face of others. I never lived in Jackson until I was here for college, and once I graduated, I stayed right here - not because I was repressed or couldn't afford another location or that there were not job offers in other states, but because this is where I want to be.

Quote:
I'm not going to call anyone posting here a broken-down loser, or a washed-up architect, or an ignorant Yat, or a psychopath. Obviously, I can't say nice things about the town I love, without people from Jackson (and a similar 'garden spot' to the south), adding their bitter, dysfunctional, poisonous perspectives.
Right back at ya!

Quote:
So, in the words of Miss Piggy,
Um, um, um, um,.....BYE! (and the smilies are really, really tacky)

Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
This is rediculous. Basically I'm getting the picture that City of Madison sells dreams to those naive enough to keep buying them. All of the pro-madison posts translate into "I want to feel like...", "In Madison I can have...", In Madison I get to feel like I'm...."

I don't have anything personal against the place although I think the image it presents is pretentious, but the people who are defending it need to . The arguments used to support madison are some of the most vein, naive, or straight up supidest things I've ever read or heard besides it having good schools and a safe image.

Last thing I want to ask is do the people realize that Madison would not exist if not for Jackson? Madison depends on Jackson more than Jackson depends on Madison. A lot of Madison's tax payments comes from checks issued in the city (am I correct?) Many of the people who come to Madison to shop come from the city because they don't have anywhere decent to shop, right? So a large portion of the sales tax comes from Jackson right? Do any of you think that Madison, Flowood, etc. could support themselves in their current form without Jackson?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Either the "nasty Jacksonians" you speak of have passed on or they do not exist, because I have not ran across anyone like that. It does seem that it rubbed off on you a little though.

According to the metro demographics, I'm significantly higher than the status quo for my age, and I consider myself fortunate rather than flaunting it in the face of others. I never lived in Jackson until I was here for college, and once I graduated, I stayed right here - not because I was repressed or couldn't afford another location or that there were not job offers in other states, but because this is where I want to be.

I thought I could stay away, but I'm having too much fun. I wrote a whole bunch on nasty living Jacksonians, but even with disclaimers, I decided it was just too risky. And why give it away, when I can write a book (and let the publisher's attorneys handle the legal flak). So I deleted every juicy morsel. But if you haven't heard all the stories, you must be some sort of holy man, because scoundrels are as common in Jackson as are churches. And there's a church on every street corner.

About your superiority to the local 'Status Quo', I'd advise that you look up that term. It does not mean 'average'. And if you do not find Jackson or it's people deficient, that means you belong there. Please stay there and enjoy Jackson to the fullest.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,484 times
Wow are you really serious? Are you some kind of "black ops" operative sent here to make Madison look even worse than most think of it?

That's it, isn't it.. you're just funnin us...

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Wow are you really serious? Are you some kind of "black ops" operative sent here to make Madison look even worse than most think of it?

That's it, isn't it.. you're just funnin us...
Yes, dear. I'm a secret agent.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
She is doing a good job, isn't she!

Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM

135 posts, read 548,205 times
Stay away from downtown jackson, west jackson, Byram, and certain areas of Pearl.[/quote]

What's wrong with downtown? There's the public library, museums, capitol building, nice park, etc. Not sure about restaurants--when I lived there there were plenty: Primo's, Jolly Roger, Elite, Mayflower, Hotel Restaurants, a good New Orleans red beans and rice place, the Cotton Exchange. Only one department store (McRaes), but Farish Street had great night spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson