Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Seriously? Sadly folks, this is the mindset for a lot of Blacks, and it is just SAD. Quit bringing back up slavery. I didn't own slaves, my entire White family dating back 50-60 years into the past didn't own slaves, heck, I can't event trace that far back to see who in my family actually owned slaves! That's how irrelevant this whole slavery thing is today. Oh and another thing, you probably think the American Civil War was started over slavery ... Ha try again.

Moral of the story, leave slavery out of the 21st century, and leave it in the 19th century where it belongs.
REALLY? SMH....

Wow,
I am so disappointed with many of the comments on this thread. Many are due to ignorance and racism, plain and simple. I am a God-fearing, well educated, married and socially responsible black man. I did not grow up in an ideal/typical family situation or environment. I can tell you for a fact: this is not a "Black problem" or "how Blacks are". Accept it or not, slavery (not just Blacks, but Asian, Latino and other races) suppled the cheap labor to help move this country forward in its infancy. Our attitude towards race is a function of slavery from the past and its current remnants - I could go on for quite a bit but suffice it to say that these traditions are passed on despite the lack of a "formal existence" of slavery today.

Discrimination and racism have improved but only due to tremendous sacrifices and pain endured by BOTH blacks and whites (and others). Sadly after reading the comments in this thread, it is painfully clear that we have quite a ways to go...

It is hard to understand what it's like to be in someone else's shoes. I agree that not every situation is a result of oppression or racism, but the system we live in leads to a lot of the lopsided demographics we see represented in our criminal justice system, under-achievements, single parent homes, etc. I am always amazed at how people who are typically in the majority a)behave during an experience in which they are forced to be in a minority, with b) significantly less power, and c) must operate in a system that is designed around the majority. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet many of the commenters in this thread have to yet experience this. It would greatly help one to empathize with folks who have those kinds of experiences as a regular part of their life.

Believe it or not, many people don't want or need a handout. That is a band-aid - it may help some of the bleeding but there is a deep wound underneath.... All people want is a fair shake - an EQUAL opportunity FROM the START! One should work hard and expect to be treated fairly, but unfortunately this does not happen often enough. This leads to hopelessness, desperation, and bad choices. I am living proof that given a fair shake, the right opportunity and the ability to make a choice one can do great things!

People make poor choices when there is limited faith, education, opportunities for prosperity, and leadership. I would love to see people talk about leveling the playing field and actually do something that isn't affirmative action, some lame attempt to pacify some people or win an election. I can dream I guess....

Sorry for any typos in the my response....late night saving kids of all races in the hopes they can do a better job than we did moving our society forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson